Waste pipe

Featured Posts

Could anyone give a good reason why the previous installation for the shower pump would have to drain pipe (blue pipe in the image) run from the pump all the way to the bow up through the bow deck and out just under the gunnel

There are 3 outlets with in about 3 meters from where the pump is one almost right above the pump all well with in a safe height from the water level outside? 

Is there something I should know or be considered if I were to have the pump exit closer?

Regards Tim

IMG_20190407_134118.jpg

I suspect that whoever installed it found it inconvenient at installation time to put, for whatever reason, another through Hull fitting in and simply chose to run the long pipe that you have shown as that was the simplest thing to do at the time. 

There is no reason why you shouldn't now alter it to a through Hull fitting if you want to. 

4 minutes ago, reg said:

I suspect that whoever installed it found it inconvenient at installation time to put, for whatever reason, another through Hull fitting in and simply chose to run the long pipe that you have shown as that was the simplest thing to do at the time. 

There is no reason why you shouldn't now alter it to a through Hull fitting if you want to. 

Thanks Reg.

Thought it a bit odd, being New to boats I thought I best ask. I probably over worry.

This has been one of those jobs of .... Well we are in this far we might as well do that.. we take that apart and it's ... Well we are now in this far we might as well to that too.

Have just removed all the wiring from the engine to cabin wall as we are going to put the entrance door central so we have now completely striped the boat ?

Engine is coming out next so I can fit better mountings and get the gearbox lined up with the prop better too ?

IMG_20190408_173209.jpg

A little detail thing: that electrical junction box with the three(?) cables going into it in that original photo... try to ensure that the cable ends have crimped ferrules on them. 

2 minutes ago, Tim Gilbert said:

being New to boats I thought I best ask. I probably over worry.

Looking at the size of the project you have I think you have done the right thing by asking. Good luck with the fit out. 

Having fitted out my own narrowboat from a bare shell and with no canal experience at all at the time I remember well the number of times I had to puzzle over things and often wondered if I was taking the right actions. Found this forum a godsend when I was unsure. 

That blue drain pipe, our boat has much the same, the outlet is on the stern where it curves round, so when moored up, there is a gap from the pipe outlet to the bank.

Waste water, being pumped under pressure, from the side of the boat, hitting the bank, maybe only inches away, is going to make a mess!

All my pressured outlets are in a place where much of the pressure can fall away before hitting anything.  Non pumped outlets are fine where ever they are.

Bod

7 minutes ago, Bod said:

That blue drain pipe, our boat has much the same, the outlet is on the stern where it curves round, so when moored up, there is a gap from the pipe outlet to the bank.

Waste water, being pumped under pressure, from the side of the boat, hitting the bank, maybe only inches away, is going to make a mess!

All my pressured outlets are in a place where much of the pressure can fall away before hitting anything.  Non pumped outlets are fine where ever they are.

Bod

That makes sense now that you point it out. 

Edited by reg
To prevent going off topic on page one.

14 minutes ago, WotEver said:

A little detail thing: that electrical junction box with the three(?) cables going into it in that original photo... try to ensure that the cable ends have crimped ferrules on them. 

The white junction box??

Yes everything will be done properly.

I am a skilled engineer hydraulics, engine's, gearboxes, fabrication,  just not on boat's ? and there is always something new to learn ?

18 minutes ago, Bod said:

Bod

I do believe the water does come out at a fair rate so I will insure I direct it somewhere suitable.

Where it is at present it would hit anyone on the toe path. Handy for cyclists ?? .

Sorry all the cyclists on here ?? .

Think I will stick it out the back same sort of place as the bilge outlet. ?

Edited by Tim Gilbert

11 minutes ago, Tim Gilbert said:

The white junction box??

Yes everything will be done properly.

I am a skilled engineer hydraulics, engine's, gearboxes, fabrication,  just not on boat's ? and there is always something new to learn ?

Yep, that’s the one. Not everyone appreciates the value of fitting ferrules to stranded cable in screwed connections. 

13 hours ago, WotEver said:

Yep, that’s the one. Not everyone appreciates the value of fitting ferrules to stranded cable in screwed connections. 

Called "bootlace ferrules", and highly recommended by me too for neat and tidy electrical work. 

Twin cable ferrules, designed to accept two wires, are particularly useful.

image.png

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Called "bootlace ferrules", and highly recommended by me too for neat and tidy electrical work. 

image.png

It’s not just ‘tidy’, it ensures a good connection to terminals which are designed for solid wire. 

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It’s not just ‘tidy’, it ensures a good connection to terminals which are designed for solid wire. 

Good point, I'd not considered that. The main reason I thought for using them was to rule out the possibility of odd single strands of wire not being inserted in the terminal and sticking out sideways. I see this constantly in my day-to-day work.

27 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Good point, I'd not considered that. The main reason I thought for using them was to rule out the possibility of odd single strands of wire not being inserted in the terminal and sticking out sideways. I see this constantly in my day-to-day work.

Wait until you find a strand sticking out of the side of a 13 Amp plug top.

27 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes, but they’re one and the same thing. Mains socket outlets, mains junction boxes, mains RCDs etc are all designed for solid cable and if you use stranded cable then you’re likely to have some strands not trapped by the securing screws. 

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

Wait until you find a strand sticking out of the side of a 13 Amp plug top.

The public shouldn’t be allowed to fit them in my experience. ;)

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

image.png

Fine things. I was told that I had to fit these to comply with my initial rcd, thought it was overkill at the time but having fitted them I now wouldn't do it any other way. 

I would suggest that if they are used it is worth investing in a proper 'bootlace ferrule crimper' as it makes the job much easier and neater and are specifically designed for these type of bootlace ferrules. 

20 minutes ago, LadyG said:

What about heat shrink tubing with adhesive, are they used on battery cables and suchlike?

The whole point of bootlace ferrules is to "convert" a multi-stranded cable core into a solid core and thus ensure a better electrical connection with no stray strands.

Heat shrink cable is used to cover exposed conductive parts and to provide cable identication.

Edited by cuthound
Clarification
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, cuthound said:

The whole point of bootlace ferrules is to "convert" a multi-stranded cable core into a solid core and thus ensure a better electrical connection with no stray strands.

Heat shrink cable is used to cover exposed conductive parts and to provide cable identication.

yes, but are they used much on these inland water boats ?

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

yes, but are they used much on these inland water boats ?

Yes, because all boats (inland and offshore) should use muliti-stranded cable cores because they resist vibratìon better than solid core cables.

15 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Yes, because all boats (inland and offshore) should use muliti-stranded cable cores because they resist vibratìon better than solid core cables.

I believe LG was asking about heat shrink sleeving, not ferrules (although she may have been as her question wasn’t clear). 

Heat shrink is used as CT explained in post 20, wherever the need arises. Heat shrink with included adhesive is good in the engine bay as it also offers a bit of corrosion resistance at the cable ends. 

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, cuthound said:

They also stop the screw chopping through individual strands as it is tightened.