Bosley Locks closed again

Bugsworth Tippler

Featured Posts

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/14988/lock-1-to-lock-12-bosley-flight-macclesfield-canal

Notice Details
From Date:
10th April 2019 at 13:00
To Date:
until further notice
Type:
Navigation Closure
Reason:
Structure failure
Description:

Our teams, whilst operating lock 3 today, have discovered a large void in the lock wall quadrant on the off-side.

Unfortunately, we have had to take the decision to close the Bosley Flight while our teams plan a temporary solution to allow passage.

We hope to provide you with an update by tomorrow afternoon.

Starts At:
Lock 1
Ends At:
Lock 12

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Is that a thing then?  

The comment about the Bosley-Leek link was tongue in cheek as I can't see any major developments such as this happening any time soon. My recollection (which I'll investigate further) is that the proposal involved using the feeder channel above Bosley lock 1 to allow boats to access Rudyard lake and then on to Leek. The worry was that the Harecastle tunnel might become un-navigable and uneconomic to repair so this alternative means of movement north to south was considered. I think there were some preliminary plans for the Leek end but, of course, nothing ever happened. I'm sure someone with a better memory or more knowledge can correct me or add to this.

30 minutes ago, Bugsworth Tippler said:

the proposal involved using the feeder channel above Bosley lock 1 to allow boats to access Rudyard lake and then on to Leek

Sounds unlikely - the feeder channel connects to Bosley reservoir, not Rudyard, which is on the other side of the Dane.

38 minutes ago, Señor Chris said:

Sounds unlikely - the feeder channel connects to Bosley reservoir, not Rudyard, which is on the other side of the Dane.

Leek-Bosley.jpg.08349cad241b80490992409df71c3019.jpg

The above was found on an old Macclesfield Canal Society page. https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknFiJnKLwHCnL72vedxjQkDDP1mXWo6uco/wiki/Macclesfield_Canal.html

There is another archived article I can't access on the same subject and I definitely remember seeing plans for changes at the end of the Caldon Canal (Leek branch).

19 hours ago, Bugsworth Tippler said:

Leek-Bosley.jpg.08349cad241b80490992409df71c3019.jpg

The above was found on an old Macclesfield Canal Society page. https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknFiJnKLwHCnL72vedxjQkDDP1mXWo6uco/wiki/Macclesfield_Canal.html

There is another archived article I can't access on the same subject and I definitely remember seeing plans for changes at the end of the Caldon Canal (Leek branch).

If harecastle becomes unnavigable from subsidence wouldn't it be easier to dig it deeper and put a stop lock either end?

From Date:
10th April 2019 at 13:00
To Date:
11th April 2019 at 12:00 inclusive
Type:
Navigation Closure
Reason:
Structure failure
Notice updates:
11/04/2019 @ 13:35

The Flight is now open for navigation

Our Teams have managed to erect a temporary platform which has been built above the void to enable the lock to still be in use.

Description:

Our teams, whilst operating lock 3 today, have discovered a large void in the lock wall quadrant on the off-side.

Unfortunately, we have had to take the decision to close the Bosley Flight while our teams plan a temporary solution to allow passage.

Notice Alert

Macclesfield Canal
Starts At: Lock 1
Ends At: Lock 12

Wednesday 17 April 2019 08:00 until Wednesday 17 April 2019 17:00

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Structure failure

Update on 16/04/2019:

Our teams will be dismantling the temporary platform and will be carrying out a permanent repair to the quadrant at Lock 3.

Whilst these works are being carried out the Bosley Flight will be closed for 1 day and will re-open for navigation on the evening of Wednesday 17th April.

Update on 11/04/2019:

The Flight is now open for navigation

Our Teams have managed to erect a temporary platform which has been built above the void to enable the lock to still be in use.

Original message:

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/14988/lock-1-to-lock-12-bosley-flight-macclesfield-canal

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices