JD3 resale value?

Markinaboat

Featured Posts

Just teetering (is that a word?) with the concept of replacing the JD3 at some point. What's the general consensus on sale-ability and value? It's done around 1000 hours and as you'd expect, looks and runs perfectly. It's hydraulic drive so no gearbox.

All sensible and not so sensible replies welcomed!

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

What with?

Not sure yet. All down to £££'s. I've had two Gardners so a 3LW would be my obvious choice but unlikely to be able to afford/justify. Heard an HRW3 running recently and quite liked the sound but no experience of them or their reliability etc. Can get fully refurbished/guaranteed for £5k so less than half the price of a Gardner.

1 hour ago, Mike Adams said:

I paid around £1500 for base JD engines with low so maybe a bit more if it has some marinising components.

it's a Beta JD3

10k Plus fitting for a "new" engine, there must be something seriously wrong with the Beta !

Will it add 10k to the value of the boat?

Will it give you 10k worth of pleasure?

Its a major job to change unless you get something that fits on the same engine beds.

I sold my old BD3 (predecessor to the JD3) for £5k, 3,300 hours on it. 

But that was fully marinised with PRM D260, and demonstrated running in the boat to the buyer. 

On a pallet with no transmission, I'd say about half that. IF you can find anyone at all who wants it, that is.

23 minutes ago, Loddon said:

10k Plus fitting for a "new" engine, there must be something seriously wrong with the Beta !

Will it add 10k to the value of the boat?

Will it give you 10k worth of pleasure?

Its a major job to change unless you get something that fits on the same engine beds.

For something like the HRW3, total cost would be IRO £7k. A 3LW would be around £13.5k fitted!

Have you not had a Gardner? The JD3 is pretty soul-less and clattery by comparison.

22 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I sold my old BD3 (predecessor to the JD3) for £5k, 3,300 hours on it. 

But that was fully marinised with PRM D260, and demonstrated running in the boat to the buyer. 

On a pallet with no transmission, I'd say about half that. IF you can find anyone at all who wants it, that is.

It's in the boat running Mike. Won't be coming out until I find a buyer and that's only if I take this route over the next year or so. Just testing the water.

12 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

For something like the HRW3, total cost would be IRO £7k. A 3LW would be around £13.5k fitted!

Have you not had a Gardner? The JD3 is pretty soul-less and clattery by comparison.

It's in the boat running Mike. Won't be coming out until I find a buyer and that's only if I take this route over the next year or so. Just testing the water.

Hence why I picked 10k as a mid point between the two.

I have had old engines most notably  a JP3M and beautiful they are to. I was lucky did it before they became overpriced.

Looked at  changing Parglena from a very smokey Ford D6 to a 3LW despite there being plenty of room what killed it was a complete rebuild of the engine beds/bottom of the boat which almost doubled the price. So I just dropped in a direct replacement D6, total cost 2.5k ;)

Now run a very quiet early Beta 2203 bit excessive for a 60ft NB but I love the instant power.

Edited by Loddon

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Hence why I picked 10k as a mid point between the two.

I have had old engines most notably  a JP3M and beautiful they are to. I was lucky did it before they became overpriced.

Looked at  changing Parglena from a very smokey Ford D6 to a 3LW despite there being plenty of room what killed it was a complete rebuild of the engine beds/bottom of the boat which almost doubled the price. So I just dropped in a direct replacement D6, total cost 2.5k ;)

Now run a very quiet early Beta 2203 bit excessive for a 60ft NB but I love the instant power.

Fair enough, me being pedantic! ? .. I'm just missing my lovely Gardner so maybe after some decent cruising with the Beta this year, I'll warm towards it! However, I won't warm towards the smell coming from the stack. No smoke, just pungent/acrid fumes that I cant say I've noticed before, not even from a K3 I had a few years back.

If I understand the state of the market, a 3LW would cost you less than a 2LW in comparable condition. I think it's because the 3 is sometimes perceived as being overpowered for n/b use, and is thus less in demand.

18 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

maybe after some decent cruising with the Beta this year, I'll warm towards it!

As long as your fillings haven't fallen out or you have gone deaf

Richard

10 minutes ago, RLWP said:

As long as your fillings haven't fallen out or you have gone deaf

Richard

? Not  a lot of teeth left anyway and I do wear hearing aids with adjustable volume! I can;t say it vibrates but It is noisy, isn't it? I heard an HRW3 running the other day and was quite impressed with the beat. Didn't appear to be as noisy/irritating standing next to it in the engine room either but of course the proof of the pud is in the cruising! I thought £5k for a fully refurbed unit from a highly reputable (I think!) company wasn't bad when compared to around £11-12k for a 3LW let alone maybe £13/14k for a 2LW!

Edited by Markinaboat
ommission

35 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

? Not  a lot of teeth left anyway and I do wear hearing aids with adjustable volume! I can;t say it vibrates but It is noisy, isn't it? I heard an HRW3 running the other day and was quite impressed with the beat. Didn't appear to be as noisy/irritating standing next to it in the engine room either but of course the proof of the pud is in the cruising! I thought £5k for a fully refurbed unit from a highly reputable (I think!) company wasn't bad when compared to around £11-12k for a 3LW let alone maybe £13/14k for a 2LW!

We have an HRW3 with a Blackstone box, ready to go

Richard

39 minutes ago, Athy said:

Not quiet and relaxing like an SR2, then.

For a 'modern' engine, shall we say I find the JD3 a little unrefined

13 minutes ago, RLWP said:

We have an HRW3 with a Blackstone box, ready to go

Richard

For a 'modern' engine, shall we say I find the JD3 a little unrefined

Stop tempting me Richard, I'm only testing the water! ... how much without the box and an adaptor plate (or whatever would be required) to mate wit my ARS hydraulic unit?