Suggestions please for first time boater

Dizalot

Featured Posts

Back on topic - against current practice....

The trip to Warwick includes the Hatton flight whose lock gear (and the previous 5 ? locks) all use the "iniquitous sewage works penstocks" which I for one find a pain to operate as you have to wind the sluice - sorry - paddle up and down. They are in contrast to the other broad locks that you will encounter dowhill from the hire base - which are really just wide 'narrow' locks and a pleasure to use. IF you and your crew are happy with these locks (and why not?) then proceed.

The Hatton flight looks daunting, but it's fine - subject to the above and if you're and organised in a mild-sort-of-way then they are great - and there's a pub at the top. OTOH if you dither around then it can be unpleasant. It would be sad if that episode put you off canalling completely - and remember that you have to repeat Hatton on the return journey as well...

Thank you.  We are definitely considering Warwick.  My son is a little concerned about the 76 locks we would have to do in 8 days there and back but we're going to see how we feel when we get there. he doesn't want to spend all the time in locks.  Which I get

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

The trip to Warwick includes the Hatton flight whose lock gear (and the previous 5 ? locks) all use the "iniquitous sewage works penstocks" which I for one find a pain to operate as you have to wind the sluice - sorry - paddle up and down. 

So how do you work the paddles on the other locks.

56 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I thought Warwick was at the bottom of Hatton on the same side as Arm End (Gayton)

Yes you would not be doing Hatton to get to Warwick from Gayton.  However for me going from Napton junction down to Warwick to just turn round and come back again would not be my choice (46 locks return).

For the most experiences, why not go from Gayton to Braunston and then to Napton Junction (my favourite section of canal), and up Napton locks to Fenny Compton.  Turn there and return to Napton Junction.  If you have time then to sample the “new locks” (1930’s) turn left and go down Calcutt locks and to the top of Stockton locks turning at Willow Wren, Stockton  top Marina or below Stockton top lock and the back to Napton Junction, thenon the Braunston and back to Gayton.  You get the sample original Grand Junction locks, narrow locks, and 1930’s widened GU locks, and pubs......

12 hours ago, john6767 said:

Yes you would not be doing Hatton to get to Warwick from Gayton.  However for me going from Napton junction down to Warwick to just turn round and come back again would not be my choice (46 locks return).

For the most experiences, why not go from Gayton to Braunston and then to Napton Junction (my favourite section of canal), and up Napton locks to Fenny Compton.  Turn there and return to Napton Junction.  If you have time then to sample the “new locks” (1930’s) turn left and go down Calcutt locks and to the top of Stockton locks turning at Willow Wren, Stockton  top Marina or below Stockton top lock and the back to Napton Junction, thenon the Braunston and back to Gayton.  You get the sample original Grand Junction locks, narrow locks, and 1930’s widened GU locks, and pubs......

That's a very good selection - a mix of old and slightly less old locks.

Apologies to all I must have been having a senior moment in mentioning Hatton. 'Twas the concern of new boaters habing to use the dreadful lock gear. There are still five (?) locks with the penstocks, but that's no big deal.

3 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Apologies to all I must have been having a senior moment in mentioning Hatton. 'Twas the concern of new boaters habing to use the dreadful lock gear. There are still five (?) locks with the penstocks, but that's no big deal.

Only five?

Slightly more than that! All the locks (25) from Calcutt to Saltisford have the same gear as Hatton.

7 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Only five?

Slightly more than that! All the locks (25) from Calcutt to Saltisford have the same gear as Hatton.

Not a hard run though, is it.  I rather like that leg and there are some nice pubs along the way. I also like the duck pond at Long Itchington as you walk to and from the Co-op plus, if the OP is already hooked by Long Itchington (as seems likely), he might also want to call in on Colecraft!  Leamington Spa is probably worth a look too.  Kelloggs Crunchy Nut Cornflakes currently have a 2 for 1 offer on entry to Warwick Castle - maybe someone who'll be on the OP's route could save him the coupon? 

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Not a hard run though, is it.  I rather like that leg and there are some nice pubs along the way. I also like the duck pond at Long Itchington as you walk to and from the Co-op plus, if the OP is already hooked by Long Itchington (as seems likely), he might also want to call in on Colecraft!  Leamington Spa is probably worth a look too.  Kelloggs Crunchy Nut Cornflakes currently have a 2 for 1 offer on entry to Warwick Castle - maybe someone who'll be on the OP's route could save him the coupon? 

Wherever the OP goes, since he's coming from abroad and is new to the canals I'd strongly recommend getting the appropriate Pearson's guide as well as Nicholson's, there's a lot more interesting background information and they're much more readable. Nicholson's is more factual and OS-mappy, but a combination of Opencanalmap and Google maps can do a lot of this nowadays, and in many ways a lot better.

Warwick Castle has been rather touristified/kiddified in recent years (traditional medieval burger stalls etc.) but is still worth a visit if that's your kind of thing.

29 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Only five?

Oh dear, it's a while since we ventured down there - as a result of The Management's prohibition. In my defence (ill deserved, mebe) the only ones with which we had any problem was Hatton on a very hot day and She said never again (as managements tend so to do) now if going to Brum we go via Fazeley and its perttier)

2 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Oh dear, it's a while since we ventured down there - as a result of The Management's prohibition. In my defence (ill deserved, mebe) the only ones with which we had any problem was Hatton on a very hot day and She said never again (as managements tend so to do) now if going to Brum we go via Fazeley and its perttier)

Yeah, the lock free section from Curdworth to the top of Farmers Bridge has lovely moorings aplenty and is truly picturesque!  :P

Time to talk her into another go, methinks.  Hatton is eased greatly if you team up, or even raft up, with another boat and then you have Lapworth (should you choose the North Stratford route), perhaps one of the loveliest flights there is - usually assisted by really nice volunteers should you choose.

22 hours ago, OldGoat said:

The trip to Warwick includes the Hatton flight whose lock gear (and the previous 5 ? locks) all use the "iniquitous sewage works penstocks" which I for one find a pain to operate as you have to wind the sluice - sorry - paddle up and down. They are in contrast to the other broad locks that you will encounter dowhill from the hire base - which are really just wide 'narrow' locks and a pleasure to use. IF you and your crew are happy with these locks (and why not?) then proceed.

The Hatton flight looks daunting, but it's fine - subject to the above and if you're and organised in a mild-sort-of-way then they are great - and there's a pub at the top. OTOH if you dither around then it can be unpleasant. It would be sad if that episode put you off canalling completely - and remember that you have to repeat Hatton on the return journey as well...

But: the culverts are so large that by the time you have wound up one then the lock is either full or empty as needed. It is rarely helpful to operate both sides unless you have a bunch of youngsters who need something to do to use up excess energy! Hence the number of turns, compared with a more conventional lock, is roughly the same (around 22 turns or 11+11 turns)

10 hours ago, OldGoat said:

If you did my suggestion you would do Cacutt, which is three locks each way, plus if the boat is long and you need to go down the top lock at Stockton to turn you would have that one both ways as well.  Having moored at Calcutt marina for 9 years we have done Calcutt locks countless times, they are not hard and you only need to do one side.

The very first canal trip we took was a hire boat from Kate boats at Stockton top marina, we went down the GU to Cosgrove, the back to Napton and then up the Fenny Compton, then back to Napton and return to Stockton.  That was a easy hire week, so my suggestion would be easy in a week, and should also allow the OP time to go through Blisworh tunnel and moor there and visit Stoke Bruene.

9 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Ah, Long Itchington. Home of my 'Best pub in the world award 2018'.....the Two Boats. 

Defo worth a stop on the way down........and the way back up. 

41 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Ah, Long Itchington. Home of my 'Best pub in the world award 2018'.....the Two Boats. 

Defo worth a stop on the way down........and the way back up. 

You need to get out more!

(Or maybe I do. Not been in there for about three or four years.)

4 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Laura's not in the urban dictionary - is she?

Laura and Tommy were lovers
He wanted to give her everything
Flowers, presents and most of all, a wedding ring
He saw a sign for a stock car race
A thousand dollar prize it read
He couldn't get Laura on the phone
So to her mother Tommy said
Tell Laura I love her, tell Laura I need her
Tell Laura I may be late
I've something to do, that cannot wait
He drove his car to the racing grounds
He was the youngest driver there