Wooden hull

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Dearhound said:

Does anyone have any experience of wooden hulled narrow boats? Are there any particular problems associated with them or does it just depend on the condition in the same way as it would with a steel hull?

They cost a fortune in both time and money to keep afloat. 

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

They cost a fortune in both time and money to keep afloat. 

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.com/boat/fellows-morton-clayton-70-traditional/601328?fbclid=IwAR2Y1W64bnrVDxwkNcZ6irOqm1X_1icjffG89EBTHojiCobLsJ1is7mnFzY#map

looking at this -  would it be a nightmare unless you had infinite money & time you think?

1 minute ago, Dearhound said:

Yes - even with infinite money = bankruptcy & nightmares for every night of your remaining years (which would probably be few !!)

21 minutes ago, Dearhound said:

Does anyone have any experience of wooden hulled narrow boats? Are there any particular problems associated with them or does it just depend on the condition in the same way as it would with a steel hull?

They rot, and are expensive to repair, if you can find anyone capable of doing the work.

33 minutes ago, Dearhound said:

I see boats like this and think how much I would love to have one and then I remember I don't have the money or the experience and knowledge to do it justice, and it breaks my heart a bit every time I come to that realisation.  

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

Do not take as gospel truth what many people will tell you. I suspect that many of the nay sayers have never owned a wooden boat and have obviously made up their minds on the oft repeated opinions of a few key board warriors. If you would like a more balanced,view warts and all,  please pm me. Regards, HughC

• Love 1

1 hour ago, hughc said:

If you would like a more balanced,view warts and all,  please pm me.

Why would you wish to keep your views private? Surely the whole point of a forum such as this is so that we can all learn and discuss?

• Greenie 1

Having worked in a hire fleet that when I started the majority were wooden cruisers that we gradually replaced with GRP I would concur with those who suggest ongoing expense and work. The chippies spent most winters replacing planks across the fleet and the n there was annual caulking and stopping. Less often the transom corners needed a lot of attention. The wooden boats always leaked fat more than GRP (we did not have any steel boats).  The cruiser hull planks were thinner than those I see on wooden narrowboats but the planks still needed steaming to get the curve at the bow. They also needed repainting anally to keep them semi-smart.

Although eh above refers to river cruisers I can't see a narrowboat suffering any fewer problems. If wood was the most economic form of construction the carrying companies would never have gone to iron ad then steel.

I would love a traditional wooden gentleman’s launch but know that I have neither the skills, facilities nor money keep one in good order.

2 hours ago, hughc said:

Do not take as gospel truth what many people will tell you. I suspect that many of the nay sayers have never owned a wooden boat and have obviously made up their minds on the oft repeated opinions of a few key board warriors. If you would like a more balanced,view warts and all,  please pm me. Regards, HughC

I have never owned a wooden Narrow Boat, but have known several peple who did own one. However my experience of wooden boats goes back to the 1960's when we helped John Wooley at Iver Boatyard re-plank and caulk an old Nurser butty, I confirm my earler statement that even well maintained wooden boats rot and are expensive to repair. I actually nearly purchased that boat, as the owner died before the work was completed,  I was tempted as the price required by the excectors was very generous. However, in hindsight, I am glad I didn't, one needs a fat wallet to look after a wooden boat properly.

Edited by David Schweizer

Metal boats rust and are expensive to repair.

Plastic boats get osmosis and are expensive to repair.

Concrete boats get cancer...by which point they are beyond repair.

One of the things I find interesting about professional wooden boat repairers/restorers/builders is their willingness and enthusiasm  when it comes to teaching owners how to do the work themselves and encourage them to muck in to save on the bill.

In 35 years of boating I have yet to see a steel boat repairer say to an owner "Fancy a go on the welder?".

I am on my 11th (I think) wooden boat and I would hazard a guess that there are very few folk on this forum who have spent less enjoying their boating than me over the years.

I have recently bought my latest wooden boat (£2500) and, after spending £230 getting the fuel system sorted (blocked metal hose)  I sailed it in appalling weather from Salcombe to Weymouth (losing my towed dinghy in the process due to heavy seas) without taking on a drop of water.

The wooden hull coped admirably but, sadly, the dinghy's (metal) towing shackle wrapped round the (metal) prop which, over 50 years had totally dezincified turning it into the consistency of a biscuit so it shattered.

Whilst removing the knackered (metal) prop I managed to break the totally corroded (metal) rudder linkage so I have no propulsion at the moment and no steering.

Fantastic hull though...bloody wooden boats!

I would add that I am a joiner who has maintained my own and other's wooden boats since the 80s and if you don't know what you're doing get help and be prepared to pay for it (at no greater rate of pay than most metal boat fixers) and be prepared to get your hands dirty and greasy and smelly.

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

They also needed repainting anally to keep them semi-smart.

Is that from stern to stem?

If you want advice on wooden boats and restoration, have a chat with Ade at Alvecote. There are no better wooden boat restorers in the UK.

Having said that keep asking questions, we will do our best to answer!!!

Kind regards

Dan

• Love 1