Dreaming, ?

LadyG

Featured Posts

I don't really understand this concept. 

To me, if I had a mega win on the Lottery, I would have plenty of things to do and to buy, a narrowboat would not figure, as far as I am concerned it's a compromise.

15 minutes ago, LadyG said:

To me, if I had a mega win on the Lottery, I would have plenty of things to do and to buy, a narrowboat would not figure, as far as I am concerned it's a compromise.

So don't get one then!

• Greenie 2

<fantasy mode> with winnings > £50M - buy one of the derelict T & M duplicate locks, completely renovate it, and make it capable of automatic operation, using only 19th century technology, no electricity.

</fantasy mode>

22 minutes ago, LadyG said:

If not a narrowboat what sort of boat would you buy (if money was no object)?

28 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

So don't get one then!

It's a means to an end, an end of life means, I am limited by money and by physical limitations, so its a compromise. It;s not a dream, it's what I can do.

Edited by LadyG

17 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I would not buy a boat, I've had a boat.

Before that,  other toys and of course my horses, a few ponies, , and some animals, and some farm land. In the Cotswolds.

A nice quad bike with on road facility.

A proper little sailing [blue water] boat to do some proper sailing no "maintenance"

I also like rowing, so a proper little skiff.

I might have a team of huskies and go sledding in winter.

A small car to pop in to town.

A narrow boat is a compromise, it's a ways and means of travel in comfort, and a tiny bit of "adventure"

Edited by LadyG

15 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I would not buy a boat, I've bought a boat.

Before that,  other toys and of course my horses, a few ponies, , and some animals, and some farm land. In the Cotswolds.

A nice quad bike with on road facility.

A proper little sailing [blue water] boat to do some proper sailing no "maintenance"

I also like rowing, so a proper little skiff.

I might have a team of huskies and go sledding in winter.

A small car to pop in to town.

A narrow boat is a compromise, it's a ways and means of travel in comfort, and a tiny bit of "adventure"

Is a sailing boat not a boat then?

And you are kidding yourself if you think there is no maintenance on a sail  boat.

Edited by Naughty Cal

3 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

It all sounds a bit complicated so I won't bother buying a ticket. Besides I once said to my son that buying a ticket increases your chance of winning, he responded by saying he'd heard it doesn't ? 

I'v only ever bought one Lottery Ticket, but you it's a metaphor. 

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

Is a sailing boat not about then?

And you are kidding yourself if you think they are no maintenance on a sail  boat.

Not at all, I pay the minions to sort it out, I just issue the instructions :)

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Which is why I have, in the passed, suggested a camper van. 

A camper can take you all the same places a narrowboat can (mostly) and other places beside; not to mention they are much cheaper to get and run*. And you wouldn't have to sell your house. 

If you don't love narrowboats and canals for what they are, will you not come to resent them as much as you now resent your house. 

*The smaller campers rather than the big motor homes will be cheaper. 

23 minutes ago, MartynG said:

If money was NO object. I would have a gurt big comfy boat built with a thirty foot beam and employ loads of paddys to widen, deepen and replace all the locks on the system so we could scrap all our poxy narrowboats. Planning permission permitted of course ?

12 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

A camper can take you all the same places a narrowboat can (mostly) and other places beside; not to mention they are much cheaper to get and run*. And you wouldn't have to sell your house. 

If you don't love narrowboats and canals for what they are, will you not come to resent them as much as you now resent your house. 

I don't particularly like driving,

A nice  boat can be  a "home" .

A van is a van.

I am keen to sell this particular flat but I refuse to give it away, when one is retired one is straight jacketed, constrained. I may have to reduce the price again .......how would you feel if you had to tear up £30K? That is what has happened here. I don't like living here. I do not like it at all.

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

If money was NO object. I would have a gurt big comfy boat built with a thirty foot beam and employ loads of paddys to widen, deepen and replace all the locks on the system so we could scrap all our poxy narrowboats. Planning permission permitted of course ?

Thank God for Planning Permission....

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, nb Innisfree said:

It all sounds a bit complicated so I won't bother buying a ticket. Besides I once said to my son that buying a ticket increases your chance of winning, he responded by saying he'd heard it doesn't ? 

He's not far wrong, though ?

14 hours ago, Tumshie said:

I wouldn't advise trying to take a camper van through a lock though ?

For me locking is one of the greatest pleasures of canalling.

Edited by cuthound
Spillung
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, cuthound said:

For me locking is one of the greatest pleasures of canalling.

I whole heartedly agree.......

There are an awful lot of chores and task involved  in owning and living on a narrowboat that you just don't have to think about if you are living in a house, if you really love your boat and the lifestyle then those chores might be the little things that make your day awesome but if you are living on a boat because it's a compromise, a means to an ends to get you out of a no longer tolerable situation those tasks might become the thing that make you really unhappy with your lot. From my experience it's the repeated little things that can be the straw that breaks the camel's back. 

That was a generalisation and not aimed at LG. 

• Greenie 3

The thing that makes me unhappy at this time,  is living in this flat.

I have worked crofts, on farms, lived in terrible housing,  in jobs where it was slavery.

In places with no facilities which you might consider as normal, like a fridge, or mains electric.

I'm retired.

I don't work.

I want to enjoy my life.

I intend to do so.

The straw that has broken my back is the repeated Rip offs by the locals, "tradesmen and others. I won't go into details, but it involved the Polis, the Dog Warden {I don't have a dog], the SSPCA,  solicitors and so on............... 

I don't wish to live in conflict. I don't ask for it, but in the last twelve years my van has been vandalised three times by three different people. , my shop has been vandalised by someone who did not like his wife so threw a stone through my shop window, , my horse has been mistreated, starved, and so on.

I have been a loyal customer to those who did a good job, like my garage ........ a customer for fifteen years, the rest of them are in it for short term profit. That is 90 percent of them.

Edited by LadyG

34 minutes ago, LadyG said:

The thing that makes me unhappy at this time,  is living in this flat.

I have worked crofts, on farms, lived in terrible housing,  in jobs where it was slavery.

In places with no facilities which you might consider as normal, like a fridge, or mains electric.

I'm retired.

I don't work.

I want to enjoy my life.

I intend to do so.

The straw that has broken my back is the repeated Rip offs by the locals, "tradesmen and others. I won't go into details, but it involved the Polis, the Dog Warden {I don't have a dog], the SSPCA,  solicitors and so on............... 

I don't wish to live in conflict. I don't ask for it, but in the last twelve years my van has been vandalised three times by three different people. , my shop has been vandalised by someone who did not like his wife so threw a stone through my shop window, , my horse has been mistreated, starved, and so on.

I have been a loyal customer to those who did a good job, like my garage ........ a customer for fifteen years, the rest of them are in it for short term profit. That is 90 percent of them.

Well in that case you need to do something to sell the flat.

It isn't selling at the minute so something has to give. You either have to accept that it isn't worth what you thought it was and lower the price accordingly or accept that you are going to be living there for a long time until you find a buyer, if you manage to find one.

25 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Well in that case you need to do something to sell the flat.

It isn't selling at the minute so something has to give. You either have to accept that it isn't worth what you thought it was and lower the price accordingly or accept that you are going to be living there for a long time until you find a buyer, if you manage to find one.

I've reduced the price several times.

I've tweaked the price. Several ways.

I've changed the agent twice.

It's nothing to do with my valuation, in my opinion it should about £80K, but I realise it's not.

The surveyor values the property at £70K, it has been marketed at £57K, and still no buyers, , there are more viewers in two months at offers over £62K with this agent than with two others in sixteen months at different prices. This agent does not want me to drop the price. It's not me who sets the price, we discuss it, we agree. I have asked them twice to think about reduction, they think it is a bad idea. But I will insist if there are no more viewers after Easter.

Edited by LadyG

19 hours ago, LadyG said:

What's to understand? If cruising round the inland waterways (including the narrow ones) is what someone wants to do, a narrowboat is the ideal thing to get. A 'compromise' to me as someone who wants to live aboard and explore the whole system might be a widebeam or longer narrowboat (restricted cruising range), or a shorter narrowboat or cruiser (restricted living space). A 55ft steel narrowboat is the 'gold standard' as far as I'm concerned. If I won the lottery I might get a new one built, and I might buy a house for the winter and find various other things to spend money on, but I think a narrowboat would still be my number one thing I wouldn't be without.

Edited by magictime