Project boat - sail away or old wreck?

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I think the general consensus is that if you buy a second hand boat for £10k it is likely to have a hull with the metal equivalent of wood worm and will probbly sink before you have time to spend the £thousands it will take to stop it doing 

Or, in my case, one that they aren't getting the time to work on and don't want to keep spending money on just for licence and mooring. Just getting rid would save me five grand over the next 12 months

3 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Or, in my case, one that they aren't getting the time to work on and don't want to keep spending money on just for licence and mooring. Just getting rid would save me five grand over the next 12 months

Well if it needs adopting I could possibly rehome it for you......

I'm only joking as DearHound got there first. ?

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

LG, if someone mentions £10 grand and Collingwood in the same post then they can't afford a top of the range fully lined Tyler Wilson Josher. ?

Edited by Tumshie

25 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Also nice to start with a new engine and steelwork. 

Yes, definitely an advantage in my opinion. Depending on the previous owner an old boat is always full of someone else's bodges. A blank slate is all down to you.

20 minutes ago, LadyG said:

My thinking is that both of you get a part time evening job for six months, go out for a meal at a service station once  a week and see how you feel after six months. You should have another £10K,

Assumptions... They may both already have part time evening jobs. On the other hand they may both be on disability living allowance and can't work. Who can guess other people's circumstances?

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Dearhound said:

So with the engine too, you'd be talking what-ish?

Answer without prejudice - f I am to sell her I'd take 10k 

I say without prejudice as someone has approached me - Lutine has not so far been on the market - I was just vaguely thinking it would be sensible to get rid of her. 

Unless you have experience of boating, liveaboard boating, and boat fitting, it is quite likely that your first fit out project will have some non optimum attributes! At worse it might be worth less than the cost of materials used (not even thinking about your labour).

A new sailaway has much more potential than an old project boat, because a refitted old boat is still exactly that....an old boat.

One option is to buy a rough but sound old boat (lots of people are looking for this), live on it whilst making some improvements and honing your skills, then sell it at a profit and buy the sailaway. If you can't make a profit then you have had a couple of years of boating and learned a lesson.

..............Dave

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

always surprises me when a newbie asks an apparently innocent question, and is presumably dead keen to get some ideas, but doesn't seem to keep involved in the discussions, leaving all the kindly responders to assume and surmise on the OP's actual situation.

if it were me I would be following the thread avidly, and adding information to clarify my situation ever hour or less.

Edited by Murflynn

4 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

always surprises me when a newbie asks an apparently innocent question, and is presumably dead keen to get some ideas, but doesn't seem to keep involved in the discussions, leaving all the kindly responders to assume and surmise on the OP's actual situation.

if it were me I would be following the thread avidly, and adding information to clarify my situation ever hour or less.

She might have posted and gone out for the night. Nothing wrong with that?

The thing is, if you buy a wreck, you'll be starting with really poor foundations.  You don't get an older boat with a great hull, engine and key systems unless someone has looked after all those things, in which case the inside might well be dated but it's not going to be a wreck and hence cause a decent boat to be sold at a weak price. 

If a boat is "a bit of a wreck", it's most likely simply a wreck, and these should only be bought by those with a combination of at least 2, but preferably all of skills, time and money to sort them out.  The only debatably "sensible" folk who do this are enthusiasts who wish to save or restore something special or at least particularly meaningful to them.

The canals are littered with unfinished project boats that folk with insufficient skills, time or money have started and may have even improved a bit, but who are now invariably in a worse financial state than when they started, with a partly restored boat few others would want to take on.  That's not a club anyone should join blindly.  Do life, save up, buy a decent boat when you can truly afford one - there's a reason why most of us have to wait so long to get our boats and why it's so often older folk who seem to have such things. There are, of course, other views! :)

• Greenie 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Tumshie said:

LG, if someone mentions £10 grand and Collingwood in the same post then they can't afford a top of the range fully lined Tyler Wilson Josher. ?

I know. Just a bit of education.

Edited by LadyG

14 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

More likely, she thought she should come back in a few days and see if there were any more replies...

New members are often taken aback by the pace of things here. 

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

Including whether they are actually a "newbie"

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Yes, definitely an advantage in my opinion. Depending on the previous owner an old boat is always full of someone else's bodges. A blank slate is all down to you.

Assumptions... They may both already have part time evening jobs. On the other hand they may both be on disability living allowance and can't work. Who can guess other people's circumstances?

If they are on disability, they should give up this idea before they throw away their £10K savings,

If they already are working twelve hours a day they should already be earning approx £40K pa

23 minutes ago, LadyG said:

If they are on disability, they should give up this idea before they throw away their £10K savings,

If they already are working twelve hours a day they should already be earning approx £40K pa

Yet more unwarranted assumptions from Lady G. They may well be on £40K pa, but how do you know what their outgoings are? And why should people on DLA not live on a boat? I know someone who does it quite well.

Please stop making assumptions and judgments about people you don't know. You're just making yourself look foolish.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=315776

is a nice boat, and it starts off as a good boat.

It is nowhere near complete, but it will always be a good boat.

If you don't know what you are doing you may end up buying a skip which will never be anything other than a skip, no matter what you do.

PS boats are expensive toys

I watched that boat being built, I think it was lined out by Steve the guy that helped build my boat interior

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Guys - for goodness sake stop taking about Donna like she's a pet in a cage. How and what money she and or her husband earn in none of our business. 

How do I go about getting a pet in a cage that earns money?  Is this something they do in Amsterdam?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

How do I go about getting a pet in a cage that earns money?  Is this something they do in Amsterdam?

Just go into one of those smokey cafes in Amsterdam for half an hour and you won’t care about any pets... or much of anything else :D

A bit of background :

A couple of Donna's earlier posts :

As I live in Scotland and would quite like to stay, I was wondering how much of the canal system here would actually take a widebeam, which I am thinking of getting.

If it was just the two of us we would probably get a narrowboat but we have a little boy and looking ahead to the future I can't imagine him enjoying living in such a cramped space with his parents when he is older and a widebeam gives us a little more breathing space. Does anyone on here know how much of the Scottish canals are wide enough?

And then this one :

Has anyone heard of SGB finance? And would you recommend them?

http://cgi-bo.orcaformation.com/sgb/accueil.php

I found a link on the Walton Marina website.

http://www.waltonmarine.co.uk/Finance.aspx

Apart from Pegasus, I have not been able to find any Marine finance companies and I would need to borrow more than I could get from a personal loan.

Unfortunately never responded to the replies or posted again in that thread.

29 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A bit of background :

I hold you in great esteem, Alan, but we don't need to be analysing Donna this way, just because she isn't a chatty as the rest of us. Copy and pasting from her personal profile page isn't very kind or likely to make her or other less prolific members feel very welcome. 

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, blackrose said:

How do we know they're not boaters? Genuine question. Perhaps I missed something. They may have owned a boat before or been hiring for years.

'cos they "have a dream", suggesting they are not aware of the challenges ahead :)

If you want to work on a boat, having the engine out is a opportunity to remove rust and paint the engine hole. That;s like wire brushing, Vactan, three coats of primer, two of undercoat and then the bilge paint, or as per instructions on the tin of bilge paint.. At best this will cost about £120 in materials and and Personal Protection, plus  three full days of labour and good weather. Just saying.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Tumshie said:

I hold you in great esteem, Alan, but we don't need to be analysing Donna this way, just because she isn't a chatty as the rest of us. Copy and pasting from her personal profile page isn't very kind or likely to make her or other less prolific members feel very welcome. 

Don't let facts get in the way - They are not taken from her personal profile ( and would it matter if they were - if they are there then they are for public viewing).

They were actually quotes taken from threads that she has started, 'asking about widebeam boats', and 'where to get finance'

Can we no longer quote or link to previous threads ?

Are we now entering some weird dystopian world ?