Earliest and latest entry times for Harecastle tunnel

Philip

Featured Posts

On 10/04/2019 at 10:05, IanD said:

We've moored on the Macclesfield just round the corner from the junction (behind the Blue Bell, for obvious reasons...) a couple of times with no problem, and are planning to do the same later this year. No mooring rings but you can get in to the bank no problem -- or could a few years ago...

Blue Bell mooring not that safe if it made the local paper ?

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/police-called-after-teenagers-untie-2759428?fbclid=IwAR0Rf1xoiaBkA2WsvD_P0NH3qSrhivOp8Y-Z8TDXFHA4RAf_oRjZMW-MzDU

1 hour ago, Tim Lewis said:

Maybe -- or maybe it's a one-off which shouldn't scare people away. If everybody worried about every single reported incident on the canal system, there'd be nowhere "safe" left to moor ?

(but thanks for the warning anyway)

The only time I've had any incident like this was years ago where we woke up one morning to find the boat had been untied, Possibly linked to the locals being annoyed because we'd almost won the "best Halloween pumpkin" competition in the pub we were moored near. Maybe leaving said pumpkin on the boat roof overnight with a candle inside was seen as provocation...

Edited by IanD

27 minutes ago, IanD said:

If everybody worried about every single reported incident on the canal system, there'd be nowhere "safe" left to moor ?

There isn't! Spread the word - lock your boats in the marina (remember to keep your licence up to date) and stay at home!! ;)

• Haha 1

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 14:22, Rob-M said:

Looking a bit further south, plan is to stop somewhere a bit north of Burton, maybe around Branston and then head for Derwent Mouth, with the aim being to stop around Willington on the way back the following night. I'm guessing this would allow me some extra time to explore beyond Derwent Mouth - are the first couple of miles of the Erewash Canal worth doing as an add-on, or are there better options?

Branston Water Park is a lovely area to stop with an easy walk around the lake. The added bonus is the Bridge at Branston does excellent Italian food but you will almost certainly need to book. A walk through the tunnel under the A38 will get you to some local shops for supplies. It's been some years since I tried the Erewash but iirc the first few miles are quite urban. No doubt someone with more up to date knowledge will be able to verify that.

3 minutes ago, Rugbyman said:

Branston Water Park is a lovely area to stop with an easy walk around the lake. The added bonus is the Bridge at Branston does excellent Italian food but you will almost certainly need to book. A walk through the tunnel under the A38 will get you to some local shops for supplies. It's been some years since I tried the Erewash but iirc the first few miles are quite urban. No doubt someone with more up to date knowledge will be able to verify that.

It will also get you to a choice of two half decent, dog friendly pubs. Neither of which IMHO can be said for the bridge.

On 15/04/2019 at 17:14, IanD said:

Maybe -- or maybe it's a one-off which shouldn't scare people away. If everybody worried about every single reported incident on the canal system, there'd be nowhere "safe" left to moor ?

(but thanks for the warning anyway)

ocation...

Just below there (the Blue Bell) is the only place in thirty years I've had my ropes cut (about four years ago).  Woke up next morning bumping into the next lock.  Luckily, they'd left the cut bits of rope behind so i just tied them back together... there were also a bunch of lads crawling all over the boat moored a bit further down, though they got bored after a bit and wandered off having done no damage. it's not a place to leave a boat unattended.

19 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Just below there (the Blue Bell) is the only place in thirty years I've had my ropes cut (about four years ago).  Woke up next morning bumping into the next lock.  Luckily, they'd left the cut bits of rope behind so i just tied them back together... there were also a bunch of lads crawling all over the boat moored a bit further down, though they got bored after a bit and wandered off having done no damage. it's not a place to leave a boat unattended.

Were you moored on the main line in front of the Blue Bell? We've moored round the corner on the Macclesfield (just before bridge 97 to be slightly further from the railway line IIRC) twice without problems, this is out of sight of the main towpath where I suspect any scroats hang out.

On 10/04/2019 at 10:19, haggis said:

Are you sure about that? The instructions you get before entering the tunnel tell you what to do in an emergency and that the tunnel keeper will respond by also blasting his horn. However, I understand that when that happens, the tunnel keeper has to summon two C&RT folk to take the tug into the tunnel to rescue you and we have been told that the folk could be anything from 5 minutes to an hour away. When we had a fire in the engine area last year, we followed the correct procedure and after putting the (small) fire out with extinguishers, we started trying to propel the boat forward by pushing off the tunnel walls. We were very glad when another boat came behind us and pushed us out. When we emerged, the guys were just getting the tunnel boat ready to come and rescue us. Neither of us checked how long it was between the emergency procedure and us getting out of the tunnel but it was probably about an hour . We were the first (and only) boat going north at 8am and it was after 10 when I called RCR after we moored up. So yes, they come and rescue you but not immediately. 

haggis

From the tunnel breifing notes  :-  The average time through the tunnel is 30 to 45 mins.  If you have not come out of the tunnel after 1hr 15mins they will decide whether to call the emergency services. If you are in trouble, the alarm signal is to blast your horn for one long blast every 30 seconds and repeat untill you hear three short blasts from the tunnel keeper at either portal.

I believe you can now use your mobile phone in the tunnel as they have installed a repeater system following the death of a boater a few years ago when he fell off the back of his boat.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-blogs-and-features/boating-team/boating-through-harecastle-tunnel

1 hour ago, Flyboy said:

I believe you can now use your mobile phone in the tunnel as they have installed a repeater system following the death of a boater a few years ago when he fell off the back of his boat.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-blogs-and-features/boating-team/boating-through-harecastle-tunnel

Last I heard it still didn't work