BMC 1.5D Glow plugs...

garym999

Featured Posts

Are there different types for this engine?

I have recently replaced a set with like for like after finding one dud. I made a nice bus bar make the connections neater and more reliable.

During the replacement and refering to the manual and the good advice here. I used a long 11/64 drill to ream out the holes but the drill was a loose as anything down the holes and did not bring anything out. Is this normal? I was expecting the drill to be the exact size of the hole.

I should have tried other drills to see what size the bore was but did not have a set with me.

This is what I have installed

image.png.01e4616e3c435860081a69ed33798e30.png

The enging is slow to start due to a poorly starter motor but once these were fitted and all 4 were glowing it was much happier.

5 hours ago, garym999 said:

Are there different types for this engine?

I have recently replaced a set with like for like after finding one dud. I made a nice bus bar make the connections neater and more reliable.

During the replacement and refering to the manual and the good advice here. I used a long 11/64 drill to ream out the holes but the drill was a loose as anything down the holes and did not bring anything out. Is this normal? I was expecting the drill to be the exact size of the hole.

I should have tried other drills to see what size the bore was but did not have a set with me.

This is what I have installed

image.png.01e4616e3c435860081a69ed33798e30.png

The enging is slow to start due to a poorly starter motor but once these were fitted and all 4 were glowing it was much happier.

The 11/64" drill is a loose fit, but did you use an extra long drill to ensure you got to the bottom of the orifice, where most of the coke collects, I have just measured the one I used to use on Helvetia's BMC 1.5 engine and it is 12cm long, it is also only 4.2mm diameter which is slightl;y smaller than 11/64., but still cleard the orifice well.   The original spec glow plugs were Lucas HDS 227 (DS012) 12V or Champion CH 32 (replaces AG 32)- the NGK 302 is a direct replacement, so you have the correct plugs.

Edited by David Schweizer

4 hours ago, garym999 said:

I'm new to the engine so learning my way around it. I purchased a drill specifically for the job and its 126mm long and it went a long way in. It almost felt like the hole was say 5mm in dia.

You do not say how easily the glow plugs came out, but if they all came out without a lot progressive clockwise and anticlockwise turning and did not break, then there was little carbon build up in the orifice, which would explain the lack of removed deposits.

Fortunatly they came out without any issue nor showed much in the way of carbon build up.

My point was that I did not expect the drill to be a sloppy fit. I would have thought that its size was choosen to match the size of a clean opening.

• 1 year later...

Put a little bit of tape around the outer part of the drill bit. It makes the turning easyer an the drill will not go threw the hole into the chambur. Just did this today and it makes the  job a bit easier on the figers. Was happy to  get the glowplugs out after 5 years without snapping them. The first time I took them out years ago, I blew it and had to take the head off. They had been in there for 15 years.

Douglas