removing paint using a scabbler

Steve Manc

Featured Posts

Hi

I am in the process of removing the paint off the roof of my narrow boat. The paint has sand in it for anti slip. I have used a grinder with flap disc.  I am getting around 3 feet by 1 feet out of one disc. The result is not very good. https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-zirconium-flap-disc-115mm-40-grit/4300g

Has anyone used a needle gun to remove paint off the whole roof of their boat?  Did it damage the steel?

Does anyone know where I may hire a scabbler, in the Greater Manchester area,  as shown by John Barnard in the following video. The scabbler is a around 4 minutes.

Thanks

16 minutes ago, Steve Manc said:

Does anyone know where I may hire a scabbler, in the Greater Manchester area

A quick Google for ‘Scabbler hire Manchester’ gets quite a few hits. Why not phone around your local hire shops?

• Happy 1

48 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

In case you don't know, most scrabblers are used for concrete and so are supplied with 'concrete teeth' which don't last long on steel, so make sure you get the correct teeth.

Yes - that's the difference between a scabbler and a needle gun, isn't it? There may be regional name variations.

Always use effective hearing protection when using a needle gun on steel - the process is very noisy.

1 hour ago, Steve Manc said:

Hi

I am in the process of removing the paint off the roof of my narrow boat. The paint has sand in it for anti slip. I have used a grinder with flap disc.  I am getting around 3 feet by 1 feet out of one disc. The result is not very good. 

If have stripped about 35ft length of my cabin roof and I am still on my first flap disc - from toolstation. Thick paint but no sand.

• Happy 1

19 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Yes - that's the difference between a scabbler and a needle gun, isn't it? There may be regional name variations.

Always use effective hearing protection when using a needle gun on steel - the process is very noisy.

No, scabblers are the same, they just have different type teeth. Most hire places will hire the body and sell you a set of teeth to do the job, if not, it's worth spending £40.

There are 2 types of teeth for steel, steel and tungsten, the 2nd are better. I can generally strip a roof in an hour with one.

Scabbler with spare head, teeth need replacing!

20190409_120907.jpg

Edited by matty40s

23 minutes ago, matty40s said:

No, scabblers are the same, they just have different type teeth. Most hire places will hire the body and sell you a set of teeth to do the job, if not, it's worth spending £40.

There are 2 types of teeth for steel, steel and tungsten, the 2nd are better. I can generally strip a roof in an hour with one.

20190409_120907.jpg

Thats the kiddie, do an admiral job. My roof was done with one of those, not by myself I hasten to add,  thats a job for working class people ?

• Haha 1

A needle gun is VERY loud, quite slow to use, and very ferocious. Its essential an air driven set of multiple high speed hammers and chisels. Great for removing rust to get right back to bare metal but a bit over the top for just taking paint off.  Good for getting into corners. I did my back deck (counter) with an air gun, including getting right into the drainage channels. That was enough for me, would not fancy doing a whole roof.

A raddle paint and a good set of boots is probably better than sand, sand, as you have found, is a pain. Craftmaster raddle is quite slippy when new but settles down nicely after a few months. On the gunnels and decks I put a coat of red oxide primer on top of the raddle, a little unconventional but very effective, though not advised if you are a shiny boat typel

..............Dave

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

20190409_120907.jpg

Matt

Can you please tell me where you purchased your scabbler and other items required?

My roof area that needs paint and sand removing is 4 feet wide x 36 feet long.

Would one set of teeth do this?

Do you strip narrowboat roofs for a living?

Would you do mine? Based on the high peak canal.

Cheers 

Steve

I can recommend the TERCOO tool for this type of job. 

Single blade approx £30 should do a roof. 

Job will be quicker with a double or triple blade but at a higher cost. 

The TERCOO can be used in a standard mains drill of 650w plus and is not very noisy compared to other methods. 

I did a full 57ft Hull using these tools and got through a triple blade and a double blade in the process. 

Just Google TERCOO UK for best prices. 

Edited by reg
  • Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, reg said:

I can recommend the TERCOO tool for this type of job. 

Single blade approx £30 should do a roof. 

Job will be quicker with a double or triple blade but at a higher cost. 

The TERCOO can be used in a standard mains drill of 650w plus and is not very noisy compared to other methods. 

I did a full 57ft Hull using these tools and got through a triple blade and a double blade in the process. 

Just Google TERCOO UK for best prices. 

We found Tercoo marks the metal too much for large flat surfaces. Good in handy rail-roof angles though.

They are very good for removing blacking.

Cant recommend a scabbler highly enough , i hired this one for a week with the transformer for around 90 quid from Brandon tool hire and they werent at all bothered about any wear to the wheels as they change them every 4th hire 

Rick

006.jpg

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

We found Tercoo marks the metal too much for large flat surfaces. Good in handy rail-roof angles though.

They are very good for removing blacking.

Good point as they are designed to provide the same finish as grit blasting, provided info as a possible option but down to op to determine if appropriate. 

I do use my worn down tercoo for rust removal and stubborn paint removal. 

3 hours ago, Steve Manc said:

Matt

Can you please tell me where you purchased your scabbler and other items required?

My roof area that needs paint and sand removing is 4 feet wide x 36 feet long.

Would one set of teeth do this?

Do you strip narrowboat roofs for a living?

Would you do mine? Based on the high peak canal

Unless you are going to start painting boats all the time, it makes sense to just hire one Steve. They arent cheap!

One set of teeth would easily do that roof. 

I paint boats, just started this years one of 4 and another 2 booked next year already so unfortunately haven't got time to take any more work on at present.

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

Unless you are going to start painting boats all the time, it makes sense to just hire one Steve. They arent cheap!

One set of teeth would easily do that roof. 

I paint boats, just started this years one of 4 and another 2 booked next year already so unfortunately haven't got time to take any more work on at present.

What a day trying to hire a scabbler from Brandons Tool Hire. Initially I contact www.redina.co.uk . Their technical team were helpful sent me and Brandons list of tool codes which I needed to hire. Spoke to two Brandons shops and they didn't seem to know what they were.

Thankfully I found a hire shop that sells a grit disc for my 4 1/2 inch grinder. It has taken off the paint and sand down to steel.

Thanks for all comments 

20190409_174348.jpg

20190409_174353.jpg

Edited by Steve Manc
Add photo

Matt

I am trying to follow John Bernard Ltd on YouTube method of painting my boat. He recommends cleaning the steel prior to priming with a solvent degreaser. I am struggling to find one. Been in Halfords this evening and one of the staff recommend using break cleaner! They did have a solvent but is spray form. I would like liquid.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Steve Manc said:

Matt

I am trying to follow John Bernard Ltd on YouTube method of painting my boat. He recommends cleaning the steel prior to priming with a solvent degreaser. I am struggling to find one. Been in Halfords this evening and one of the staff recommend using break cleaner! They did have a solvent but is spray form. I would like liquid.

Thanks

Panel Wipe. Any body shop should sell you some, or there’s always Amazon:

Panel wipe de-greaser spirit based paint prep 1 litre 1LT https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AD5JR92/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_snqRCbAX5Z585

Or eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PANEL-WIPE-5L-DEGREASER-PRE-PAINT-SPRAY-ANTI-SILICONE-PRORANGE-FREE-WIPES/201535503206?hash=item2eec73bb66:g:j74AAOSw6EZbphwU

43 minutes ago, Steve Manc said:

What a day trying to hire a scabbler from Brandons Tool Hire. Initially I contact www.redina.co.uk . Their technical team were helpful sent me and Brandons list of tool codes which I needed to hire. Spoke to two Brandons shops and they didn't seem to know what they were.

Thankfully I found a hire shop that sells a grit disc for my 4 1/2 inch grinder. It has taken off the paint and sand down to steel.

Thanks for all comments 

20190409_174348.jpg

20190409_174353.jpg

How is that different from the flap disc in you first post which didn't do the job?

I am using this:

28576.jpg

https://www.toolstation.com/flap-disc/p28576

On 09/04/2019 at 21:17, Steve Manc said:

Thanks for all comments 

20190409_174348.jpg

20190409_174353.jpg

I will finish stripping off the sand and paint today. It will have taken 10 disc which are 115mm to strip around 36 feet length by 50 inches ish wide. One thing to note the bare steel gets very hot whilst the sun is shining. This has prevented me from putting on rust inhibitor or primer until 5pm ish when the steel cooled down.

Matt thanks for the further tips 're cloths.

Hope this information is helpful 

On 09/04/2019 at 12:31, mrsmelly said:

Thats the kiddie, do an admiral job. My roof was done with one of those, not by myself I hasten to add,  thats a job for working class people ?

And yet you had yours done by an Admiral? :captain: Theres real power of command for you! :D  I'd be happy if I could talk a dockyard matey into it! :P

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1