Eberspacher air inlet silencer - worth fitting?

Patrick_C

Featured Posts

Hello.  I have an Eberspacher D4 hydronic (see previous posts about my sometimes troubled relationship with it :) ).  It's now working well.  It is mounted in the engine compartment under the back deck (cruiser stern) and draws air in from within the compartment - it's close to a vent so there's plenty of air for it.  However it is noisy, and I have tried to reduce the noise, and as I am now moved into a marina with other boats close by I want to quieten it further.  I've already fitted a proper marine silencer on the exhaust (replacing the crappy little one I inherited) and that helped. Does anyone have experience of fitting the 'optional' air intake and silencer from a skin fitting to the air inlet on the unit?  Specifically:

- eberspacher silencer vs generic?

- can i use airtronic silencer on hydronic - same part?

- impact on noise reduction?

Any advice or experience appreciated.

Patrick

21 minutes ago, Patrick_C said:

Ask the manufacturer what the reduction is in dB overall, and I'll tell you if it will make any significant difference. I suspect I already know the answer, though.

Having had a quick look, it annoys me that the retailers can claim huge reductions in noise without quantifying them at all.

Edited by Machpoint005

3 hours ago, Patrick_C said:

Hello.  I have an Eberspacher D4 hydronic (see previous posts about my sometimes troubled relationship with it :) ).  It's now working well.  It is mounted in the engine compartment under the back deck (cruiser stern) and draws air in from within the compartment - it's close to a vent so there's plenty of air for it.  However it is noisy, and I have tried to reduce the noise, and as I am now moved into a marina with other boats close by I want to quieten it further.  I've already fitted a proper marine silencer on the exhaust (replacing the crappy little one I inherited) and that helped. Does anyone have experience of fitting the 'optional' air intake and silencer from a skin fitting to the air inlet on the unit?  Specifically:

- eberspacher silencer vs generic?

- can i use airtronic silencer on hydronic - same part?

Any advice or experience appreciated.

Patrick

An aiir intake silencer is essential. Mounting in the engine bay as you describe is fine.  My Webasto Top C 5Kw is hardly noticable with a exhaust & intake silencer.   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25mm-Car-Air-Intake-Filter-Silencer-For-Eberspacher-Webasto-Diesel-Heater-UK/123426896091?hash=item1cbcd0f8db:g:~kkAAOSwUulbw~LJ

19 hours ago, Flyboy said:

An aiir intake silencer is essential. Mounting in the engine bay as you describe is fine.  My Webasto Top C 5Kw is hardly noticable with a exhaust & intake silencer.   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25mm-Car-Air-Intake-Filter-Silencer-For-Eberspacher-Webasto-Diesel-Heater-UK/123426896091?hash=item1cbcd0f8db:g:~kkAAOSwUulbw~LJ

These are plastic. Would that be allowed on the BSS?

16 minutes ago, Old Son said:

Assuming that Flyboy's boat has had a BSS then the answer must be 'yes' (at least it is for that BSS examiner)

I cannot think of a reason why it would not be allowed.

Plastic components in the fuel lines are not allowed because if there is a fire they will melt and allow the escape of fuel which will contribute to the fire.

However a 'plastic air filter/silencer' would not be any such problem.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

34 minutes ago, Old Son said:

Yes. I have one. You cannot hear mine running when stood outside the boat unless you kneel down and put yer lug at vent level.

2 hours ago, Old Son said:

Yes they are are allowed under BSS regs, Why would they not be?  There are many plastic parts in an engine bay that comply eg. air filter housings.  As others have said, plastic fuel lines are a no no for BSS.

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/04/2019 at 11:06, Flyboy said:

Yes they are are allowed under BSS regs, Why would they not be?  There are many plastic parts in an engine bay that comply eg. air filter housings.  As others have said, plastic fuel lines are a no no for BSS.

Thanks all for advice (comment about firing up at 5am duly noted!) - I'm going to give a silencer like this a try.  There is a plate inside the engine compartment vent onto which it can easily be mounted, with a short length of inlet hose to the eberspacher.  Will report back! 

Further update in this. With the silencer attached there is a significant improvement - much quieter, with the jet engine sound almost gone ... Thanks for advice.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Patrick_C said:

Thanks all for advice (comment about firing up at 5am duly noted!) - I'm going to give a silencer like this a try.  There is a plate inside the engine compartment vent onto which it can easily be mounted, with a short length of inlet hose to the eberspacher.  Will report back! 

Further update in this. With the silencer attached there is a significant improvement - much quieter, with the jet engine sound almost gone ... Thanks for advice.

Thanks for updating us Patrick. Now, if you find a solution to the "clonk-clonk-clonk" of the fuel pump(?), I'd be grateful! :D

34 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks for updating us Patrick. Now, if you find a solution to the "clonk-clonk-clonk" of the fuel pump(?), I'd be grateful! :D

Mount it on a thick piece of rubber attached to a wooden board. Attach the board to the wood seperately to the pump mounts to the rubber.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Mount it on a thick piece of rubber attached to a wooden board. Attach the board to the wood seperately to the pump mounts to the rubber.

I ought to get around to something like that! The pump is internal to the Eber which is mounted on spring mounts but, whilst they may do something for vibration, they are noise shorts to the hull.

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

When my current Eberpacher (with the integrated pump) shuffles off this mortal coil I think I may replace it with one with an external pump - particularly as the most common job I seem to do on it is hoking gunge out of the little filter in the pump assembly and this involves unmounting and dismantling the unit. But it would also allow me to do this.  For now I console myself that the clonking shows that the pump is working ...  

Edited by Patrick_C

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

I ought to get around to something like that! The pump is internal to the Eber which is mounted on spring mounts but, whilst they may do something for vibration, they are noise shorts to the hull.

It does much improve things, I have done it before. This setup is a webasto so the dosing pump is seperate which is good in one way but I forgot to have this done when it was fitted so I get the clonk clonk :banghead: My previous boat was webasto and it was virtualy silent in and out the boat.

1 minute ago, Patrick_C said:

When my current Eberpacher (with the integrated pump) shuffles off this mortal coil I think I may replace it with one with an external pump - particularly as the most common job I seem to do on it is hoking gunge out of the little filter in the pump assembly and this involves unmounting and dismantling the unit. For now I console myself that the clonking shows that the pump is working ...  

If you change for a webasto there is a first class guy on fleabay sells recon full units that are brilliant. I bought two off him and keep one as a spare. He also services and replaces parts very much cheaper than anyone else. I am a very satisfied customer of 3 years liveabord useage.

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

@Patrick_C Could you give a link / model / part number for the silencer you fitted? Is it the same as the one that @Flyboy fitted? I think I should probably do the same with my D4 hydronic... I don't even have an exhaust silencer at the moment.

Am I glad I'm not moored near you!

Noisy smelly things, should be banned along with all domestic gas cooking and heating, cars, lorries, ships,incinerators.................................oh, they already are doing.

I'm looking for a cave to live in before they are all occupied.

The silly sods will have us all living in the dark in caves eating nuts and berries if the "environmentallists" get their way.

Edited by Boater Sam
smellings & Added
  • Haha 1

On the combustion air inlet I now have the plastic silencer attached via a 20mm pipe of the kind @Flyboy referenced.

On the exhaust I have a marine silencer like the one in the picture, which replaced the little non - gas tight one I 'inherited' - they are OK for road vehicles, but not for marine use/engine compartments etc.  It's fully lagged.

s-l500.jpg

39 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

@Patrick_C Could you give a link / model / part number for the silencer you fitted? Is it the same as the one that @Flyboy fitted? I think I should probably do the same with my D4 hydronic... I don't even have an exhaust silencer at the moment.

Plenty availble on Ebay.      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24mm-Exhaust-Silencer-W-Clamps-Screws-For-Webasto-Eberspacher-Auto-Heater-

UK/202636842067?hash=item2f2e18d453:g:J3UAAOSwwJpcm0At

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25mm-Car-Air-Intake-Filter-Silencer-For-Eberspacher-Webasto-Diesel-Heater-UK/303111625454

No Webasto or Eberspacher should be installed without these items.  Who in their right mind would drive their car around without an air filter or exhaust silencer fitted ?  Your system must have been installed by a cowboy.

12 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Plenty availble on Ebay.      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24mm-Exhaust-Silencer-W-Clamps-Screws-For-Webasto-Eberspacher-Auto-Heater-

UK/202636842067?hash=item2f2e18d453:g:J3UAAOSwwJpcm0At

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25mm-Car-Air-Intake-Filter-Silencer-For-Eberspacher-Webasto-Diesel-Heater-UK/303111625454

No Webasto or Eberspacher should be installed without these items.  Who in their right mind would drive their car around without an air filter or exhaust silencer fitted ?  Your system must have been installed by a cowboy.

That fleabay exhaust silencer is the pressed non genuine not absolutely gas tight model. Thats why its cheap, I use one on this set up as my engine hole is sealed and get no fumes. I have in stock as a spare a pukka webasto one as shown on the post of Patrick_c much more money but pukka. the cheapo inlet plastic silencer though is worth a punt.