Boat Insurance Cost Reduces

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Pleasant surprise - received the renewal email from Craft Insure and find that the premiums have reduced AGAIN for this year :

The insurance policy for your Motor Boat (Tidal), Sea Wolf renews in 30 days time and your new annual premium will be £276.32 (last year £282.74) based on the information held in our records. Please check that the level of cover described in the Insurance Policy Information Document attached continues to meet your needs. You may wish to compare the prices and levels of cover available from alternative providers.

Your premium is inclusive of Insurance Premium Tax at the current rate of 12%

Area coverage as per the attached map.

For boats 26ft and over the boat will be ashore or afloat on inland and coastal waters of the UK, Eire, and Continent of Europe, Brest to the river Elbe, including continental waterways North of 40º 30` North, and West of 10º East. Between 1st May and 30th September this is extended from Bordeaux to Stavanger, including the Baltic not North or East of Stockholm..

Cruising Range Map.png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Interesting, just had our insurance renewal from Towergate, reduced by £13.08 from last year.

Little note on the facing letter: "You have been with us for a number of years. You may be able to get the insurance cover you want at a better price if you shop around."

Edited by Ray T

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

2016 £299.48

2017 £292.69

2018 £282.74

2019 £276.74

But - you never know how good an insurance company is until you make a claim.

Indeed you don't. We were very happy with how our insurers handled our claim. Which is why we were happy to renew with them this year.

We had a small increase in premium but it was only a few quid so we didn't worry about it.

One thing we are happy about is that the home insurance for our new house is half the price of the insurance for our current home!

12 hours ago, Ray T said:

Interesting, just had our insurance renewal from Towergate, reduced by £13.08 from last year.

Little note on the facing letter: "You have been with us for a number of years. You may be able to get the insurance cover you want at a better price if you shop around."

12 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Boat insurance quotes have reduce after they clamped down on whiplash injury claims.

Jen ?

My car insurance also came down this year by £20, apparently because of changes to legislation to limit false whiplash injury claims. Don't expect that will apply to the boats insurance though. ?

I also announced that I now use a dashcam and they then reduced it by a further £10.

Edited by cuthound

On 06/04/2019 at 20:26, Alan de Enfield said:

Pleasant surprise - received the renewal email from Craft Insure and find that the premiums have reduced AGAIN for this year :

The insurance policy for your Motor Boat (Tidal), Sea Wolf renews in 30 days time and your new annual premium will be £276.32 (last year £282.74) 

That's interesting as my insurance which I renewed in March went up 20% but remained competitive against several others . 

I may have to try craft insure next time.

The lowest insurance quotation among those I asked was SAGA but only by  a few pounds so I did not change my insurerer from last time.

Maybe I should ask for the cruising range to be increased next time too  - perhaps that attracts a lower premium ?

10 minutes ago, MartynG said:

That's interesting as my insurance which I renewed in March went up 20% but remained competitive against several others . 

I may have to try craft insure next time.

The lowest insurance quotation among those I asked was SAGA but only by  a few pounds so I did not change my insurerer from last time.

Maybe I should ask for the cruising range to be increased next time too  - perhaps that attracts a lower premium ?

I started off asking for simply 'UK coastal' got a quote and then said 'what's the difference to add Stavanger, North Sea & European inland waterways' The answer was 'no difference'.

I had the Med + Spanish + Portugese  + French waters added on the Cat's insurance for when we were coming back from Croatia all at no extra cost.