Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Featured Posts

Can anybody recommend a good printer to use wirelessly with a MacBook Pro. 

At the moment I have a CANON PIXMA MG5750 and I thoroughly hate the nasty little thing - it will not communicate with anything and I have spent hours installing and uninstalling it to try and get it working. I have just spent the better part of this afternoon reinstalling it and EVERY time I get to the end of the installation I'm told printer cannot be detected and that I need to restart the installation. I can't suffer it any longer and I'm about to buy a new one so if anybody has any recommendations I would be very grateful - and I don't mind paying more for one so long as it works. 

Thank you to anyone who answers. 

Tumsh. 

20 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Can anybody recommend a good printer to use wirelessly with a MacBook Pro. 

At the moment I have a CANON PIXMA MG5750 and I thoroughly hate the nasty little thing - it will not communicate with anything and I have spent hours installing and uninstalling it to try and get it working. I have just spent the better part of this afternoon reinstalling it and EVERY time I get to the end of the installation I'm told printer cannot be detected and that I need to restart the installation. I can't suffer it any longer and I'm about to buy a new one so if anybody has any recommendations I would be very grateful - and I don't mind paying more for one so long as it works. 

Thank you to anyone who answers. 

Tumsh. 

My Canon MG6450 is wonderful and not very different from yours. 

Dare I suggest that you need to relax, take a deep breath and carefully install it? Use the Canon software not MS.

1 minute ago, Boater Sam said:

My Canon MG6450 is wonderful and not very different from yours. 

Dare I suggest that you need to relax, take a deep breath and carefully install it? Use the Canon software not MS.

I have been very calm with it - it has taken a very long time for me to get to this point and it has been given ample opportunity to pull it's weight. 

What's MS?

Take your choice basically. They are all rubbish and difficult to connect to a network. I have an Epson Workforce and a HP. The HP is the easiest to use on my network. But that doesn't follow that it will be right for you. We can all recomend our favourite printer but, guaranteed, you will have problems.

1 minute ago, pete.i said:

Take your choice basically. They are all rubbish and difficult to connect to a network. I have an Epson Workforce and a HP. The HP is the easiest to use on my network. But that doesn't follow that it will be right for you. We can all recomend our favourite printer but, guaranteed, you will have problems.

Thanks for the input and I suspect you are right but something has got to be better than the one I have. I'll have a look at the HP ones and see what the reviews for them are like. 

If I can get this printer to connect it's not too bad but just because it printed last time does not guarantee it will do anything this time and there are just not enough hours in the day for me to keep indulging this one. 

My son installed an Epson Workforce so I could communicate with him - scanning and sending his correspondence into the Cloud.  Because I rarely printed anything the printheads blocked.  There are hundreds of forum queries asking how to resolve this - of course Epson do not warn you that you MUST print something several times a week to keep the printheads clear.  The cleaning procedure is quite arduous.

I reverted to my trusty Kodak C310 - had it for years and it is simplicity itself, and faultless ......   touch wood.

Is it on your boat with a mifi network, or at home with a proper network? I have an older version of your Canon at home, and its as good as gold. I have an HP on the boat, with a mifi network, and it rarely connects - I now hardwire it to the laptop to get it to work.

These things should just work but, when they don't !!!!!

2 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Is it on your boat with a mifi network, or at home with a proper network?

It's at home with a proper network. I'm normally pretty good at getting to the bottom of such niggly problems but I'm afraid this one has got the better of me. 

I have mine on the boat on a mifi and its faultless. After being alone for 4 months, this week I came home and sent the licence discs to it, they printed straight away, no blocked cartridges.

Perhaps it needs one of your hugs Tumshie?

2 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Perhaps it needs one of your hugs Tumshie?

I am flattered you think they can work such miracles. 

i run a Canon Pixma iP7250 on our home network. it was working flawlessly with everything able to print to it, iphones, ipads, daughter’s laptop, wife's work laptop (usually a nightmare due to company software) and my always-on desktop.

and then one day the desktop just wouldn’t have it, it would start the print and then just spit it out part done. only thing i could tie it down to was a windows 10 major update that i couldnt roll back. in the end to solve it the desktop had to be connected to it via a direct usb cable and everything else still happily prints to it wirelessly.

i've had Epson's and HP’s over the years, prefer Canon to be honest.

I had the same problem with my cannon. The misses kept trying and cussing and told me to fix the problem so a club hammer and skip sorted it out. Let me know if you find one that works with Home fi I'd be grateful thanks.:)

6 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

i run a Canon Pixma iP7250 on our home network. it was working flawlessly with everything able to print to it, iphones, ipads, daughter’s laptop, wife's work laptop (usually a nightmare due to company software) and my always-on desktop.

and then one day the desktop just wouldn’t have it, it would start the print and then just spit it out part done. only thing i could tie it down to was a windows 10 major update that i couldnt roll back. in the end to solve it the desktop had to be connected to it via a direct usb cable and everything else still happily prints to it wirelessly.

i've had Epson's and HP’s over the years, prefer Canon to be honest.

This is the first time I've really disliked anything Canon and while there are reviews of this printer that mention connectivity problems, if everybody was having the same problem as me then there would be a lot more of them. 

I haven't yet tried it with a USB and having just looked it has the a connection the USB equivalent of an elephant gun so I don't have one the fits. It will be a real pain in the behind if that is the only way I can it. 

2 minutes ago, Billy Boy said:

I had the same problem with my cannon. The misses kept trying and cussing and told me to fix the problem so a club hammer and skip sorted it out. Let me know if you find one that works with Home fi I'd be grateful thanks.:)

🤣 I've considered that fix on more than one occasion. 

I find my wireless Canon printer often needs to be manually woken up before my Android tablet will talk to it which is a pain but other than that it works fine. I'm not a Mac user so afraid I can't advise on what would work well. When buying printers I tend to go for Canon or HP though.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

I find my wireless Canon printer often needs to be manually woken up before my Android tablet will talk to it which is a pain but other than that it works fine. I'm not a Mac user so afraid I can't advise on what would work well. When buying printers I tend to go for Canon or HP though.

Thanks Rob. I have to say I've never had a problem with Canon before.  

The same problem here. I have a Samsung laser printer. It was originally connected via wifi and win xp and worked no problem via mifi. I then upgraded to Lubuntu, and still it worked ok. I then upgraded the router and everything stopped, though occasionally it would print through my android phone.I then got a chromebook,and it would no longer connect.

I spent many a frustrated day trying to get it to work, upgraded firmware, software, using WPS. In the end, I gave up an just connect it by cable these days.

When shopping around though, I was mainly interested in printing B&W, so selected a laser as opposed to an inkjet as the cartridges are much bigger, cheaper in the long run and last longer.

So, my advice. If only B&W, look at laser printers.

ETA. Also tried disabling antivirus to no avail, though I am not sure macbooks have antivirus anyway.

Edited by rusty69

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

So, my advice. If only B&W, look at laser printers.

Yeah I don't need it for piccies - just B&W would do fine. I'll add that to my list for investigation. :)

1 hour ago, Tumshie said:

What's MS?

Microsoft? Though last time I looked, apple hardware didn't run MS software.:)

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Microsoft? Though last time I looked, apple hardware didn't run MS software.:)

Nope none of the Microsoft here. 

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

Nope none of the Microsoft here. 

Well, BS has been alone in the sun for 4 months, maybe he has heat stroke.:giggles:

Stupid printers. Stupid computers. Hope you get it working. My old HP printer always rejects non genuine ink cartridges but by searching on you tube I've found ways to get the b*****d to do as its told and print. No doubt they're all the same but it really makes you feel good to get your own back on the sod. Might just be useful.

Well if you want to use a waterproof overcoat rather than a real computer, what do you expect?

I can see the bricks heading for the windows already,,,,,,,,,,,, ONLY JOKING!

No heat stroke, no other type of stroke either. Had a few sexy rub downs though. I'm in a good mood tonight.

Stick a usb cable on it whilst you recover your patience.

5 minutes ago, Bee said:

Stupid printers. Stupid computers. Hope you get it working. My old HP printer always rejects non genuine ink cartridges but by searching on you tube I've found ways to get the b*****d to do as its told and print. No doubt they're all the same but it really makes you feel good to get your own back on the sod. Might just be useful.

Thanks Bee, that's a good point,I'll have a look on youtube and see if I can find someone who's mastered this issue.  

3 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Stick a usb cable on it whilst you recover your patience.

This isn't about recovering my patience, Sam; I'm not retired so I don't have all day to P**s A**e around with something that obviously isn't going to do what it is meant to do. I'm competent enough that if the printer was capable of doing it's job of work it would be doing it by now and considering what I charge by the hour is more than what the printer cost me it's not worth any more of my time. 

2 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Thanks Bee, that's a good point,I'll have a look on youtube and see if I can find someone who's mastered this issue.  

This isn't about recovering my patience, Sam; I'm not retired so I don't have all day to P**s A**e around with something that obviously isn't going to do what it is meant to do. I'm competent enough that if the printer was capable of doing it's job of work it would be doing it by now and considering what I charge by the hour is more than what the printer cost me it's not worth any more of my time. 

Ha Ha, if you have little time now, wait till you are retired.

You need 28 hours a day after you retire.

Seriously, the computer should have the default printer as "Canon MGxxxx WS", the ws is the wifi printer, without it the printer cannot see the computer.

2 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Seriously, the computer should have the default printer as "Canon MGxxxx WS", the ws is the wifi printer, without it the printer cannot see the computer.

Thanks Sam - I do appreciate that you're trying to help but I have done all this, over and over, plus all the troubleshooting.