Remote Stern Greasers ??

Peter009

Featured Posts

Need some advice please or suggestions.  We have been advised that we need a remote stern greaser on the deck by our surveyor, likely due to the difficulty of my wife getting in and out of the engine bay.  The local mechanic at our boat yard has ordered one that looks like the image below.  My understanding, correct me if I am wrong is this sits in the engine bay and is not exactly remote, we currently only have a grease nipple.  Is there any other solutions that people use that can be managed quite easily without having to daily open the engine cover to get to it, something on the control panel maybe ?

thanks

s-l500.jpg

4 minutes ago, Peter009 said:

Need some advice please or suggestions.  We have been advised that we need a remote stern greaser on the deck by our surveyor, likely due to the difficulty of my wife getting in and out of the engine bay.  The local mechanic at our boat yard has ordered one that looks like the image below.  My understanding, correct me if I am wrong is this sits in the engine bay and is not exactly remote, we currently only have a grease nipple.  Is there any other solutions that people use that can be managed quite easily without having to daily open the engine cover to get to it, something on the control panel maybe ?

thanks

s-l500.jpg

A grease nipple on the stern gland is unusual, do you mean plummer block?.  A longer tube to the stern gland and the greaser unit can be bolted above the engine cover, to a bulkhead or taffrail frame for example.

2 minutes ago, springy said:

It sits wherever you like and a suitable length of tube carries the grease to the stern gland, just make sure you can turn the handle without loosing your knuckles,

springy

OK thanks do you know if there is any other sort that is automatic or is it always a manual process.  I have never owned a canal boat before so all of this is completely new to me

There are automatic grease cartridges that screw on to the stern bearing body and release a measured amount of grease  for a whole year, on there own!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8Xp1pC5zlw

Not cheap. 

Otherwise put the screw down greaser wherever is convenient with a nylon tube down to the stern bearing, that's the gland that keeps water out of your boat, not a plummer block bearing on the shaft if you have one, but you can do both if you wish.

1 minute ago, Boater Sam said:

There are automatic grease cartridges that screw on to the stern bearing body and release a measured amount of grease  for a whole year, on there own!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8Xp1pC5zlw

Not cheap. 

Otherwise put the screw down greaser wherever is convenient with a nylon tube down to the stern bearing, that's the gland that keeps water out of your boat, not a plummer block bearing on the shaft if you have one, but you can do both if you wish.

Thanks for that info appreciate that.   With the brass stern greaser that we have now is it a simple matter of turning it a few times every time the engine is started, sorry do not know anything about them so forgive my complete lack of knowledge in this area I honestly don't t know what I am supposed to do other than turn it but how do you measure if it is the correct amount of grease or if you have put too much in ?

3 minutes ago, Peter009 said:

Thanks for that info appreciate that.   With the brass stern greaser that we have now is it a simple matter of turning it a few times every time the engine is started, sorry do not know anything about them so forgive my complete lack of knowledge in this area I honestly don't t know what I am supposed to do other than turn it but how do you measure if it is the correct amount of grease or if you have put too much in ?

The screw gets stiff to turn when the bearing is full, but it matters little if you over grease, we are only talking about a few ccs at a time. 

But you should grease when you shut down, its the grease that keeps the water out by swelling the packing slightly.

Greasing before you move is not strictly necessary but fill your boots.

Edited by Boater Sam
added more

6 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

The screw gets stiff to turn when the bearing is full, but it matters little if you over grease, we are only talking about a few ccs at a time. 

But you should grease when you shut down, its the grease that keeps the water out by swelling the packing slightly.

Greasing before you move is not strictly necessary but fill your boots.

Thanks I am watching a load of youtube videos now which shows exactly what you say really helpful.  I am gearing up to launching the boat in the next 5 weeks so am thinking about all the things I need to know that I don't at the moment and realise I still know very little !!

18 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Mine are in the warm and dry inside my electrical cupboard mounted horizontally, cozy.

I moved mine to exactly the same place. Previously it was right at the back of the swim adjacent to the bearing, meaning that not only did you get dirty operating it but you had to be a contortionist to boot. 

Have a look at my recent post under 'Glandular problem' and particularly the link to tubing kit. The one I got came with about a metre of tubing so you should have a wide choice of where to mount the cylinder.

15 minutes ago, Opener said:

Have a look at my recent post under 'Glandular problem' and particularly the link to tubing kit. The one I got came with about a metre of tubing so you should have a wide choice of where to mount the cylinder.

Get a few metres of 8mm nylon pipe and put it anywhere you like!

Within reason.  After about 2 m of pipe the effort required to push the grease through starts to rise, particularly if the grease is very cold or has been sitting around in the tube.   My own set up has the greaser in the engine ole, about 2.5 m ahead of the stern tube and serving both the plummer block and the stern tube.

N