Does anyone know this coal?

gary955

Featured Posts

I've been up in Wolverhapton over winter. I've been sourcing my coal from Mark at Coven Heath pump out, it's apparently called Warmfire and is supplied by N&R Fuels in Wolverhampton. I've never heard of it before, and a google search draws a blank.  In my stove it burns hot and is long lasting, it leaves absolutely no clinker and produces minimal ash. The size of it is quite large and the nuts are clean with a soft matt look and with very little dust in the bags.

I'm now down on the Thames and as I've nearly run out I'd like to get a few more bags to see me through the last of the cold weather. does anyone on the forum know of a supplier of it in the West London area or perhaps recommend something with similar properties?

I've previously burnt Taybright, Stoveglow , Superblaize and Homebase Blaze. The Stoveglow is OK but the rest have been disappointing

1 hour ago, Glynn said:

No, no lines around it.

The "pureheat" on the link you posted does look like my coal...however the "pureheat" in this photo from another merchant does not.

I think many merchants just use any name without consistency across different parts of the country 

fire-gold-pure-heat-20-x-25kg-half-tonne-277-p.jpg

10 minutes ago, gary955 said:

The "pureheat" on the link you posted does look like my coal...however the "pureheat" in this photo from another merchant does not.

I think many merchants just use any name without consistency across different parts of the country 

That looks like the most excellent Phurnacite I'm currently burning. 

All these Tradenames - what matters is where the coal comes from.  Best stuff I ever loaded was Nottingham Doubles.  Nowadays it comes from Poland, China, etc.  No doubt they keep the best stuff for themselves, we get the rubbish. 

Thank you Mr. Scargill.

2 hours ago, gary955 said:

Which is what I was referring to in post 3: this looks identical to the Firegold I get which is, I'm told by the coalman, the replacement for Pureheat. I'm sure he also sells Newheat which is a different product and could be your coal.

We get New Heat in Beeston, Nottingham from a local merchant. It burns hot, stays in well overnight & produces less ash than anything else I can get locally. It is far from ash free though, I usually empty ash twice per 24 hours.

2 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

All these Tradenames - what matters is where the coal comes from.  Best stuff I ever loaded was Nottingham Doubles.  Nowadays it comes from Poland, China, etc.  No doubt they keep the best stuff for themselves, we get the rubbish. 

Thank you Mr. Scargill.

You mean, "Thank you Mrs Thatcher"! :cheers:

• Greenie 3

9 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

You mean, "Thank you Mrs Thatcher"! :cheers:

My dad, a Labour voter all his life, reckoned that closing the mines was the only good thing she ever did. He was a Beven Boy during the war so he had an idea of what he was talking about.

Absolutely no offence intended to miners or ex miners. 

56 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

You mean, "Thank you Mrs Thatcher"!

I was waiting for that.  Scargill took the miners into a battle they could not possibly win, and a lot of them knew it.  At the same time he was feathering his own nest.  A Marxist, like someone else we know.

Let's leave it there, or we will end up like the Brexit thread.?

1 hour ago, Chris Williams said:

I was waiting for that.  Scargill took the miners into a battle they could not possibly win, and a lot of them knew it.  At the same time he was feathering his own nest.  A Marxist, like someone else we know.

One of the most poignant events in that dispute was Lord Robens getting pushed and falling over, early in the dispute. Seemed at the time to epitomise the weakness and complacency of the Coal Board management at the time. 

13 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

I agree with you, and my father was a miner and knew Scargill, Dad says it was the best thing ever it closed his pit down, which was played out and allowed him a decent retirement with relatively good health

9 minutes ago, kingswood said:

there wont be any coal after brexit or food or water

I knew someone would bring Brexit into it.   We are sitting on coal and are surrounded by water.  And I can do without French Corned Beef  (yes, it doesn't all come from Brazil)

On 05/04/2019 at 22:35, Chris Williams said:

Sorry, can't leave it.

I'll agree the government choose where and when the fight took place and that we were wrong footed from the start, but......

Say what you like, at least we had the guts to get up off our knees and fight. And at Hatfield we went down fighting.

(And I bet I'm one of the few (if any?) CWDFers to have had a face to face meeting with our Arthur)

• Greenie 1

Welsh steam coal is still available, it comes from an opencast near Methyr.

It is recognisable as it is very soft, it can be pulled apart by hand, and is very shiny.

Oddly enough planning permision was granted for a new coal mine at Whitehaven the other week. It will be on the site of the old chemical works on the cliff to the south of the harbour.

There are drifts (sloping tunnels) there already, the works used to mine anhydrite. The plan is to open up and refurbish the drifts and extend them down into the coal seams.

The product is coking coal, so a chemical for a process rather than a fuel.

10 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

(And I bet I'm one of the few (if any?) CWDFers to have had a face to face meeting with our Arthur)

Probably,

But, (odd fact no 21496),  I was for a while in the same class at school as Lawrence Daly's son Kerren.

I can't remember exactly where Lawrence Daly was within the NUM at the time, but possibly deputy to Scargill?

2 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

planning permision was granted for a new coal mine at Whitehaven the other week.

Good to hear.  With modern technology there is no reason why the coal-cutting machinery should not be operated by someone on the surface.   NUM permitting, of course.

2 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

our Arthur

You are welcome to him.☺️