Adjusting idle revs Barrus Shire

Featured Posts

As the title may suggest. I need to increase idle reeves on my Barrus Shire 50 hp engine. 

A very simplequestion really. How?

I have had it explained to me a couple of months ago. You adjust the end of the cable. I've just been upside down in the engine hole and I can't see how I can. 

Any advice please. 

Look on the side of the injector pump, if you move the throttle you will see the arm on the side of the pump moves. At idle you the arm stops on the end of a bolt, this is the adjuster. The bolt has a lock nut 10mm from memory, loosen the lock nut and screw the bolt in a tiny bit at a time. The revs will increase. Hold the bolt and re tighten the lock nut. Job done.

• Greenie 2

6 hours ago, Narrowboat Nimrod said:

Look on the side of the injector pump, if you move the throttle you will see the arm on the side of the pump moves. At idle you the arm stops on the end of a bolt, this is the adjuster. The bolt has a lock nut 10mm from memory, loosen the lock nut and screw the bolt in a tiny bit at a time. The revs will increase. Hold the bolt and re tighten the lock nut. Job done.

Thank you. What should the revs be at, at idle. 8? 8.5? 9?. 

Edited by Nightwatch

I have another thread running which has caused some confusion. It seems once the batteries are charged or nearly charged the charging beeper beeps intermittently when returning to idle. Sometimes the beeper beeps higher than idle but still low revs. 

This has been been happening for two/three weeks. We are due in Dry Dock on Monday so the only time I can sort this, for a week and a bit, is tomorrow when we arrive at Langley Mill boatyard. I have, today taken a lump of material off from around the prop today, not a lot but perhaps enough to cause this issue we will see.

Any more ideas gratefully recieved. I will bump the thread so you may have a read through.

Martyn