Suggestions for this season's cruise please

PeterCr

Featured Posts

Hi all, this season we are planning a trip up the T&M, (and Caldon), then up the Bridgewater to Manchester, left to the Leeds and Liverpool, up the L&L then around and down the Rochdale. Along the Peak Forest and the Macclesfield if Marple opens up.

We've never been anywhere around there before, (though we have done the T&M often). So I'm looking for suggestions from the experienced people here for those canals we haven't done.

Firstly, is it worth heading into Liverpool? Is there much worth seeing there and is the canal in worth doing? We would like to head that way anyway to do the Lancaster but don't have a booking for the Ribble and probably won't get a booking as we can't book yet. So wondering if it's worth heading that way just for Liverpool.

Secondly, what suggestions do you have for such things as great places to moor, things that are a must see (or must avoid) and so on. Any suggestions or ideas that might help maximise the value of our trip are welcome.

I've read quite a bit here about all those canals and am expecting shallow water, not much traffic, lots of locks, difficult gates and paddles and so on. Sounds like that comes with the territory. But some advice from people who've done it all before would be much appreciated.

Hopefully water levels are ok, I know much of this was closed last year, but from what I can see the reservoirs are looking better now. Hopefully it rains a bit more this summer than last, but not too much!

The Ribble link bookings became available in December, I was waiting for them to be made available and booked within a day of them coming out so we got the choice of the limited dates.  However it seems I was over cautious as I have just looked and there are still plenty of dates avalable.  You don’t say what the reason that you can’t book yet is, but once you can, then take a look on the licensing site at the dates and you may find you can book what you want.

14 minutes ago, john6767 said:

The Ribble link bookings became available in December, I was waiting for them to be made available and booked within a day of them coming out so we got the choice of the limited dates.  However it seems I was over cautious as I have just looked and there are still plenty of dates avalable.  You don’t say what the reason that you can’t book yet is, but once you can, then take a look on the licensing site at the dates and you may find you can book what you want.

The problem booking is 2 fold. We don't currently have a licence (on hardstanding) and I've tried to look and it seems we need to be licenced to do so. And it's very difficult at this stage to have any good idea when we'll be there.

Mid May we might be better placed to pick a date, and so I'll look again then, once we're licenced. Hope we get a booking as it seems like the Lancaster would be worth doing and we've got the time.

The Bridgewater is deep so you can get a move on along it. Lymm is a good place for a night, try the brewery tap just near the little aqueduct in the village. The bakery in the middle of the village does great pies and pastries. Dumham Massey about an hour nearer Manchester is an interesting National Trust park and hall to visit.

I'd go for a trip into Liverpool if time isn't a problem, we were going to go last year but were thwarted by stoppages.

I'd personally come back via the Huddersfield as there is less grot, but the Rochdale route also gives you the Ashton delights.

The Peak Forest is my home canal so I know it well, it and the Macc are a bit shallow but you shouldn't have too much trouble, remember a loaded fuel boat does the route every odd week and so keeps a reasonable channel. Bugsworth is well worth a visit with three decent pubs within a short walk(if you are into beer). Marple is a great little town. My other favourite stop is Bollington, head for the Vale Inn (Bollington Brewery's Tap) across the cricket field from the embankment. Little Morton Hall, down the bottom of the Macc is a short walk from the canal and well worth it. There are lots of good places to see and its a nice canal take your time and enjoy it.

58 minutes ago, PeterCr said:

The problem booking is 2 fold. We don't currently have a licence (on hardstanding) and I've tried to look and it seems we need to be licenced to do so. And it's very difficult at this stage to have any good idea when we'll be there.

Mid May we might be better placed to pick a date, and so I'll look again then, once we're licenced. Hope we get a booking as it seems like the Lancaster would be worth doing and we've got the time.

I assume that you have tried and it will not let you.  Our licence runs out before the crossing, so the booking has a note that it needs be be licenced 7 days before the booking or else it will be cancelled.  As you are booking probably 6 months ahead then it seems reasonable to think the 50% at the time of booking will not have a licence valid at the time of crossing.

Liverpool is definitely worth a visit but again you have to book, I never stay anywhere more than 2 nights, we had a week in Liverpool and I could have stayed longer. The canal is 3/4 rural and 1/4 urban I would say from the Bridgwater to Liverpool. Also visit the steam engine in Wigan if you are there on the right Sunday. This was our trip to Liverpool from the Bridgewater  https://nbharnser.blogspot.com/2018/04/wigan-monday-23-pril-2018.html

Sounds a good route. If you have time don’t rush any of it (except maybe the routes down into, or up out Manchester). I’ve just spent almost 2 years travelling the North (above Manchester) and there’s a lot I didn’t explore enough. So, I’ll be heading back. It’s stunning, beautiful and very friendly 

Yes, Liverpool is definitely worth a visit. Dmr introduced me to many pubs there, and I found a few more. Lots of museums and the City Art Gallery is proper good. Affordable restaurants. Friendly people. 

If you don’t already keep them, get some small car wheels and wheelbarrow wheels for fenders, you can’t always get in at moorings on the L&L and Rochdale in particular. And use the service block at every opportunity, you can’t rely on the maps and books for correct and up to date information on the whereabouts of the next one. 

Enjoy. 

(Do some of the Huddersfield if you can, the Standedge tunnel is ace)

Sounds like it's worth going into Liverpool. We do have the time. Hopefully we will be going that way anyway if we get a Ribble booking, we can take a short detour and see Liverpool at the same time.

(Do some of the Huddersfield if you can, the Standedge tunnel is ace)

Ah yes, the Standedge tunnel. We've had a bad experience with tunnels, lost quite a bit of paint. Whilst we've got over 10 tunnels on our trip I did wonder about doing the Standedge, quite narrow and low from what I can see. Mind you I prefer single to double tunnels, no oncoming boats. But we have the time so we could do that, though it means going back up and redoing either the Huddersfield or Rochdale.  We're saving the canals to the east, and the Trent, for another year. 

Got a couple of wheelbarrow wheels, thanks Goliath. We got them for the Shropshire, we were warned about shallow banks.

16 hours ago, captain birdseye said:

Lymm is a good place for a night, try the brewery tap just near the little aqueduct in the village. The bakery in the middle of the village does great pies and pastries.

Love a good bakery and pie, great suggestion. I often see if they have large pies and buy a couple and freeze them for dinners. I had some lovely pies, and bacon, from the Alrewas bakery, filled the freezer.

Sounds like it will be a nice trip overall, though we've never been there we've had a few people recommend it to us. Hard work but worth it for the scenery. Looking forward to the Caldon too, haven't done that one and from what I read that's nice too.

How long is your boat?  If it's over 57ft (at a real pinch 60ft), your route is limited.   If you can, a visit to the Northern canals is not complete without Standedge.      I've done all of the routes you mention in the past couple of years, and you will need some ingenuity and persistence in places, but worth it. The only part I wouldn't do again is any of the Rochdale west of Littleborough.

As others have said, Liverpool is definitely worth a visit (I'm going down this year for the second time). There is still availability on the Ribble Link and, if you're flexible, you may get a booking nearer the time of your Liverpool visit. 

The rest of your planned trip is stunning. 

Edited by rgreg

Standedge Tunnel: 

yes, low and narrow in places, with a few bendy bits. 

But you will have a pilot and they’re good. Trevor has took me through each time and he knows his stuff and has written a book on the tunnels. 

Last time I went through(east to west)I needed to return to get my car from standedge visitor carpark. I asked Trevor if there’d be room in the van which was coming to pick him up (usually he’d guide a boat back but there weren’t one). 

Anyway, there was no room so he came back in his car for me!  I then got a guided tour back over the top. Brilliant. 

• Happy 1

We go into Liverpool every year (assuming water in the canal) and pay extra to stay for almost two weeks, not got bored of it yet.

Rochdale really is a canal of two halves, Manchester end is the grottyist canal anywhere, makes Walsall look good. Eastern end, in my opinion, more than makes up for it, but if you do the grot then do plan to spend some time on the good bit. 

Wheels are good, Rochdale has gently sloping stone wash walls that give the boat a real beating unless you space yourself out by about a foot, lesson learned and drydock booked to repair the epoxy ?

Take care, if you go North you might never want to go back South!

................Dave

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

Take care, if you go North you might never want to go back South!

Unless you don't like sharks and wolves, obviously.

And if you don't like good beer and friendly people ...

@dmr Speaking of which, The Rake at Littleborough have just restarted their brewery with input from a multi-award winning brewer - I think you said you were heading down to there.

10 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Unless you don't like sharks and wolves, obviously.

And if you don't like good beer and friendly people ...

@dmr Speaking of which, The Rake at Littleborough have just restarted their brewery with input from a multi-award winning brewer - I think you said you were heading down to there.

Going half way down tomorrow to wind the boat, then a final loop of Summit-Tod-Hebden-Tod-Summit, then we really must go, maybe very first week in May, so can investigate the Rake then to get fortified prior to Manchester.

...........Dave

How long is your boat?  If it's over 57ft (at a real pinch 60ft), your route is limited.

It's 57 feet. We actually quite liked a 61 footer when we were buying but passed it by for this exact reason, after reading here.

Not sure what dates you had in mind but do note that the L&L closure is now extended to late May.

Yes I see the Manchester Road bridge to the 23rd. We'll be June some time at the earliest, though you know how these things are, 23rd May might change!

The only part I wouldn't do again is any of the Rochdale west of Littleborough.

Maybe we should head to Littleborough then back again and do the Huddersfield, and Standedge. We were thinking of leaving this for another year when we could do the Trent, Keadby etc and come down the Huddersfield. Doesn't matter though if we do it twice in 2 years.

Edited by PeterCr
Small change

2 hours ago, PeterCr said:

It's 57 feet. We actually quite liked a 61 footer when we were buying but passed it by for this exact reason, after reading here.

Yes I see the Manchester Road bridge to the 23rd. We'll be June some time at the earliest, though you know how these things are, 23rd May might change!

Maybe we should head to Littleborough then back again and do the Huddersfield, and Standedge. We were thinking of leaving this for another year when we could do the Trent, Keadby etc and come down the Huddersfield. Doesn't matter though if we do it twice in 2 years.

The western side of the Rochdale may not be pretty but I wouldn't make it a no-go area. 

6 hours ago, rgreg said:

The western side of the Rochdale may not be pretty but I wouldn't make it a no-go area. 

I didn't say it was a no-go area, and the OP will at least have a sense of achievement after doing it.  I only did it because I moor on the Rochdale, below Lock 1, and felt I ought to.  But once is enough.   The eastern side is great - I was in Hebden just a week ago.

53 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I didn't say it was a no-go area, and the OP will at least have a sense of achievement after doing it.  I only did it because I moor on the Rochdale, below Lock 1, and felt I ought to.  But once is enough.   The eastern side is great - I was in Hebden just a week ago.

I didn't say you did!