Stern gland opinion

Featured Posts

Hello experts,

Having been lurking and learning from the years of expertise pumped into these forums and having read the many posts on stern glands and Tony's course notes, I'm have a concern that a candidate boat purchase may have more problems than I anticipated. Armed with camera, we've been poking around boats and building on that knowledge getting closer to determining what boat will work for us and what sort of compromises we feel acceptable. Having looked at my many photos on returning home, I wondered what conclusions can be drawn from the following photo. I'm unsure of the usage and maintenance routine of this boat, but get the impression it has been somewhat neglected or not loved  (as opposed to those boats we've seen that are totally neglected and unloved). I assumed a certain amount of water and grease was normal, but having seen Tony's diagram of wear and alignment issues, wondered what can be gleaned from this photo with grease splatter on the bilge wall and (when zoomed in) what looks like a fair space above the prop are potentially serious problems? I expect you'll say it's difficult to tell and ask whether I could feel play in it etc. - No unfortunately I didn't get my hands on it or see it running and it's not local so I can't check, but would welcome off the cuff opinions.

Regards /G

stern_gland.jpg

When I have thrashed my boat against the tide on a river for a few hours, mine looks like that and there is nothing wrong with it. The bilge could do with a clean and paint but so can most.

As long as the gland is passing grease both inboard and outboard and not pouring water in, just feed it grease.

3 minutes ago, Psychalist said:

Hello experts,

Having been lurking and learning from the years of expertise pumped into these forums and having read the many posts on stern glands and Tony's course notes, I'm have a concern that a candidate boat purchase may have more problems than I anticipated. Armed with camera, we've been poking around boats and building on that knowledge getting closer to determining what boat will work for us and what sort of compromises we feel acceptable. Having looked at my many photos on returning home, I wondered what conclusions can be drawn from the following photo. I'm unsure of the usage and maintenance routine of this boat, but get the impression it has been somewhat neglected or not loved  (as opposed to those boats we've seen that are totally neglected and unloved). I assumed a certain amount of water and grease was normal, but having seen Tony's diagram of wear and alignment issues, wondered what can be gleaned from this photo with grease splatter on the bilge wall and (when zoomed in) what looks like a fair space above the prop are potentially serious problems? I expect you'll say it's difficult to tell and ask whether I could feel play in it etc. - No unfortunately I didn't get my hands on it or see it running and it's not local so I can't check, but would welcome off the cuff opinions.

Regards /G

stern_gland.jpg

I'd like to see the rest of the driveline whether or not there's a twin UJ in the shaft or not and thrust block. if the engine is solid mounted or on rubber mounts. Judging by the amount of shaft showing there is no twin UJ's or thrust block. So if the engine is rubber mounted a lot of wobbly strain will be put on the stern gland ''regurdless of what coupling it has'' causing the mess.

26 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

When I have thrashed my boat against the tide on a river for a few hours, mine looks like that and there is nothing wrong with it. The bilge could do with a clean and paint but so can most.

As long as the gland is passing grease both inboard and outboard and not pouring water in, just feed it grease.

Sounds reassuring, thanks.

38 minutes ago, Psychalist said:

Hello experts,

Regards /G

stern_gland.jpg

My thoughts , in no order, are:- Grubby but no worse than mine at the moment , does it have a separate bilge for the stern gland? the shaft seems somewhat long and what can't be seen? and mine can throw a lot more grease than that around. I don't understand what you mean by a fair space above the prop. 

Now seen later photo so much of what I wondered has been answered

Edited by Slim

2 minutes ago, Psychalist said:

The engine is on rubber mounts. The rest of the driveline:

stern_gland2.jpg.6e417dbfc83057e8b76fc2670db492d3.jpg

I know its the way many so called boat builders do it these days but I don't like it at all. A water lubricated flexible rubber bearing Vetus style  gland seem to cope better with that set up. The reason its done is to gain as much cabin space as possible by stuffing the engine and transmission as far back as possible.

And its a lot cheaper.

2 minutes ago, Slim said:

I don't understand what you mean by a fair space above the prop.  

I was just going by Tony's diagram and wondering about engine mounts with regards to pre-survey price negotiation, but if it's pretty normal, I should stop worrying.. Thanks

image.png.53990be9fa323490a2ea6bf281e96b5f.png

On mine, when the packing is in and the gland tightened up, there's about 1/4 inch of bolt showing behind the nut. That one's tightened almost to the limit of the bolts, which might imply the packing is knackered and it's just being filled with grease to keep the water out. There again, I've only had intimate knowledge of one stern gland, so others will know more than me. 

4 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

On mine, when the packing is in and the gland tightened up, there's about 1/4 inch of bolt showing behind the nut. That one's tightened almost to the limit of the bolts, which might imply the packing is knackered and it's just being filled with grease to keep the water out. There again, I've only had intimate knowledge of one stern gland, so others will know more than me. 

The pusher sleeve has still a good way to go Arthur, the studs are probably longer than need be. Looks reasonable to me but  I'd like to see it cleaned up and running.

2 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

The pusher sleeve has still a good way to go Arthur, the studs are probably longer than need be. Looks reasonable to me but  I'd like to see it cleaned up and running.

I disagree, that stern tube is ready for repacking in my eyes...probably why theres so much grease being thrown around. 

Theres no splashed grease up my gland surrounds, and it only occurs when.theres not enough packing and the constantly screwed in grease overheats and gets forced out and splats.

Well seems like a degree of bargaining chip, but not necessarily as far as engine mounts without closer inspection. If we ever get to a running trial, I guess that will be the time to tell (pre-survey). Thanks for the opinions - all useful knowledge.

Lots of room in this setup to insert a plummer block bearing on the shaft between gearbox output and stern gland.  It takes out any side play and protects the shaft bearing in the case of mis-alignment often due to wear on engine mounts and even mount failure.  Ask me how I know ?

11 hours ago, Psychalist said:

Hello experts,

Regards /G

stern_gland.jpg

10 hours ago, Psychalist said:

I was just going by Tony's diagram and wondering about engine mounts with regards to pre-survey price negotiation, but if it's pretty normal, I should stop worrying.. Thanks

image.png.53990be9fa323490a2ea6bf281e96b5f.png

As no-one seems to have addressed this part of the question I will. There does seem to be a lot of space at the top of the PROP SHAFT in that stern gland. That could mean that the gland has been worn and the shaft has dropped. Obviously the stern gland is there to keep the canal out and if there is a gap then the canal can come in to the boat which COULD be disasterous. Up to press it looks as if the bilge pump is coping but that could change. Having said that it is a deceiving picture and the perceived gap between the shaft and the gland could just be shadow. I have to say that if my stern gland was throwing grease around like that one seems to be I would be concerned.

The gland and shaft are too greasy for me to tell anything from the photo. I suspect the silver crescent you can see at the top of the shaft where it exits the gland could well be a small cleaner section  where the grease has been flung off or pushes away by the shaft action and engine movement. I find lots of grease like that tends to occur when the packing needs tightening but rather than do that they just use the greaser to stop any drips. It would not surprise me if it were easy to turn the shaft by hand (on the coupling) with virtually no friction from the packing.

It looks like the bilge is contaminated by ATF

32 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

It looks like the bilge is contaminated by ATF

That worried me for a bit - I too was concerned about the reddish appearance. I checked other photos and the engine bilge is separate and quite dry so I think it is due to rust (or sloppy maintenance?), probably not been cleaned out for ~12 years or more.

As Ditchdabbler says it would be better to have a plummer block on the shaft but lots of boats don't. As far as grease goes I would be just a wee bit suspicious if it wasn't a greasy mess, Its the nature of the thing. As for wear on the Nut/Pusher, yes, that is possible but these things are replacable if there is a problem. T. Norris(?) of Isleworth springs to mind.

12 hours ago, Bee said:

As Ditchdabbler says it would be better to have a plummer block on the shaft but lots of boats don't. As far as grease goes I would be just a wee bit suspicious if it wasn't a greasy mess, Its the nature of the thing. As for wear on the Nut/Pusher, yes, that is possible but these things are replacable if there is a problem. T. Norris(?) of Isleworth springs to mind.

In case anyone is wondering what a plummer block is, here is mine.... It oozes rather more grease than the stern gland, which hardly uses any at the moment....

I like to put my bilge pump into a plastic tray, that catches any water.

dsc_5899.jpg

• Love 1

9 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

In case anyone is wondering what a plummer block is, here is mine.... It oozes rather more grease than the stern gland, which hardly uses any at the moment....

I like to put my bilge pump into a plastic tray, that catches any water.

dsc_5899.jpg

Nice installation, I do like to see bearings with a grease feed, these new fangled sealed for very short life ones are not as good.

But why does everyone put the greasers under the deck where they are in the way and it involves lifting boards to grease up?

Mine are in the cupboard at the stern near the control panel, so its ignition off and a twist on the greaser, simple not to forget.

Edited by Boater Sam
smellings & Added
  • Love 1