Celebrity 5 Go Barging 2019

Jo_

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, john6767 said:

There were photos of then going up Hatton posted on Facebook some time ago in a Kate Boats boat.  I commented about the fact that the name was covered up on those.  I presume it is so they do not give too much free advertising, although the hire companies do get a mention in the credits.

Yes, I answered this question way back in the thread. It would be to comply with OFCOM’s rulings on Undue Prominence. 

23 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

The only thing i remember the tunnel keeper saying as we went into harecastle ( ( giving the old height marker a good thud) was ‘yer boats too high’

I hadnt bothered removing  deck board mast and planks.

he was wrong.

I think I gave the tunnel keeper a bit of a laugh coming out of the southern portal the other day. Having come all the way through the tunnel with no problem at all (complete with top boxes on the roof) I was concentrating a bit too hard on steering clear of a boat waiting to come in and managed to head butt the height marker on my way out?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jo_ said:

So it makes me remember my earliest days on the water. I was hooked after a week and I probably did most of the things they've been doing. But I don't care; I still feel exactly the same about going out on the boat as I did a couple of decades ago, so if they are picking up on just a tiny bit of what we all feel then I'm really pleased for them.

Jo

Same here, too fast round the bends and in the bushes, shouted at for passing moored boats too fast, I had throttled back but 15 tons of steel take a bit of time to slow down. Wond the paddles to fast. But then I am not one of the lucky few who are not only perfect but also expert at everything they try for the first time.

• Greenie 4

5 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

CaRT vlockies.

Locksmurfs.

I think I'll remember that one!

Not just me then.....never seen so many....and all the way up Hatton....

edited to add

the pub has moved too.....

Edited by frangar

We got t-boned pretty hard by a hire boat a few days ago, wouldn't mind but it was on a straight stretch of the canal. The family in the boat thought it was hilarious. Barging About possibly could have questions to answer.

Don't think much damage was done, except for pictures falling down, and drawers flying open. When we shouted, the kids in the cratch gave us the finger ?

In circumstances like this, would you bother to phone the hire company to complain? Wondering what the protocol is, do boat hire companies want to know? Do they care? What would they do? Maybe it's best to say nothing?

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Does two jags snore or something ? Just wondering why he has been exiled to a boat on his own....

He hasnt been exiled... it was his choice, or at least it was him who drove the change.

On the first boat he was on he had to sleep on the make up bed in the lounge/kitchen, and he didnt like the f'**ing about, so he disappeared for a while, and came back with his own boat.

Presumably he told the producers that he wasnt going to continue if he had to keep sleeping on the sh 1 t bed, so they sorted things out to keep things on track.

28 minutes ago, frangar said:

Not just me then.....never seen so many....and all the way up Hatton....

edited to add

the pub has moved too.....

There were none when I was trying to get from Long Itchington to Lapworth, solo, in the rain last year.

?

23 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

We got t-boned pretty hard by a hire boat a few days ago, wouldn't mind but it was on a straight stretch of the canal. The family in the boat thought it was hilarious. Barging About possibly could have questions to answer.

Don't think much damage was done, except for pictures falling down, and drawers flying open. When we shouted, the kids in the cratch gave us the finger ?

In circumstances like this, would you bother to phone the hire company to complain? Wondering what the protocol is, do boat hire companies want to know? Do they care? What would they do? Maybe it's best to say nothing?

I can't answer your question but I get really cross when people say "It's a contact sport".

Well yes, contact with locksides etc is unavoidable but the object of the exercise is to try and avoid it.

• Greenie 2

43 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Something similar happened to me in 2011 but without the hilarity or the finger from the other boat's occupants. 

I did phone the hire company. The difference was we were on the hire boat and were t-boned by a private boat. By coincidence it was on the canal we're on now, at the blind bridge a few hundred yards downstream from Market Bosworth. We were coming upstream and out of the bridge 'ole.

7 hours ago, Bobbybass said:

Do they know what you do with a windlass..?

None of them used one on tonights program...then they retreated to the pub and said they were exhausted...!

They even called the windlass a SPANNER !!!!!

To be fair, two are in their eighties and a third not far behind and probably not had this much exercise in years.  I seem to remember one of them needed a car to travel a hundred yards from hotel to conference hall.

1 minute ago, Proper Charlie said:

The thing I want to know is why the three men each have a pair of identical blue trainers. Who bought them, and why?

They turned up in their posh city shoes, and a junior was sent to the shoe shop.  Said junior resented being used as a lacky so bought 3 pairs of the brightest blue they could find.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

When they were on the Macclesfield  other boats were "prevented" from being near the filming, its all scripted rubbish. The volunteer lockies at Bosley were replaced.

Was that an official CRT stoppage?