Celebrity 5 Go Barging 2019

Jo_

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

I suffered my wife repeatedly growling " its not a barge " at the TV. Not as bad as it could have been. Relieved that there was no sex, especially with Prescott.

What did they call a windlass?  I know it jarred at the time.

Where was the trip through Leek tunnel or did I nod off at that point?

Were they not told to reverse off the mud when aground?

I was somewhat horrified to see the tealights on the polished table and on the table cloth, terrible fire risk, would cause damage at least if not disaster.

Well I have heard them called Lock key and winch handles before now. we have all been around boats a long time, You are told an awful lot in an hour or two

3 hours ago, DRP said:

Generally agree but would it be any less enjoyable if the producers took the trouble to give the celebs some proper instruction to begin with, and got someone out from the hire company to show them how to overcome common problems like getting stuck - instead of sending the message that it's all a bit of a boozy lark  for idiots?

And why perpetuate stuff that is plainly wrong, like calling the boats "barges", and windlasses "lock spanners"?

Obviously none of these people are the hapless duffers that we are being asked to believe they are, but they are self-declared novices, and it would be a better advert for the holiday industry if it was made clear you can soon get the hang of it all and have an enjoyable time.

Without wishing to seem unkind - some other time, perhaps.?

You are making the assumption that the 'mistakes' are real and nof part of the script. There seems to be substantial evidence thst in the case of Tim and Pru they are constructed. Do you also assume that the 5 celebrities actually sleep and eat on board?

9 hours ago, Jonkx said:

It's just awful isn't it. 

No!!!

It might not be what folk on here want to see but it is aimed at a wider audience and if it encourages a few folk to take up boating it will be a good thing. I am sure as the program progresses we will see a big improvement in boat handling. That's what happened with the last series.

Haggis

• Greenie 2

Had an interesting talk with my wife after seeing it last night. 

I've been boating for 40+ years, her half that,   I commented that pushing the tiller to steer the way you want seems so obvious.

But she said "unless its explained what the tiller does to whatever is underwater, you'll struggle to understand why tiller left equals boat right etc.".

22 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

On handovers we always found children just got steering with a tiller where as adults took longer to remember to push the tiller in the opposite direction.

Yes we found the same. Those who were used to driving a car, left to go left etc, had trouble forgetting the habit. 

We also got used to the fact that people did stupid things, always. (Had a passing boater tell us one day that he’d just seen one of our boats “in a field” and I thought I’d taught them so well, too.)

What things are called, for example a windlass, doesn’t matter either,  being safe and enjoying themselves was what it was all about. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, jake_crew said:

But she said "unless its explained what the tiller does to whatever is underwater, you'll struggle to understand why tiller left equals boat right etc.".

You push the tiller in the direction you want the back end of the boat to go. Easy!

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

You push the tiller in the direction you want the back end of the boat to go. Easy!

I noticed that someone who had spent a lot of time driving forklifts picked up steering a boat almost instantly

I would have thought that an ex-news reader would check his pronunciation before opening his mouth.  Michael Buerk consistently calls it the Caldon canal with a short 'a' as in cat, when it's pronounced 'Corldon' after the limestone quarries in the Staffordshire moorlands at Caldon Lowe.  He also refers to Trentham Gardens with a 'th' when it's pronounced 'Tren-tam'.

And did I hear Amanda say 'Har-castle tunnel instead of 'Haircastle'?

If you're coming to the Potteries, at least learn arfur tow crate.

• Greenie 1

Can't be doing with the sloppy inaccuracies - like the narrowboats are always referred to as 'barges', canalling is 'barging', the Harecastle tunnel is on the Caldon. And whenever did the tunnel keeper ever appear to wish you a happy trip through?

1 hour ago, Rooffy said:

Can't be doing with the sloppy inaccuracies - like the narrowboats are always referred to as 'barges',

Never watched the 60's classic, 'The Bargee' then

On 19/07/2019 at 23:23, Alway Swilby said:

I wonder why the Black Prince logo was covered up on all the boats.

There were photos of then going up Hatton posted on Facebook some time ago in a Kate Boats boat.  I commented about the fact that the name was covered up on those.  I presume it is so they do not give too much free advertising, although the hire companies do get a mention in the credits.

It's just another programme that's dumbed down, aimed at 12 year olds (sorry if I'm insulting the intelligence of 12 year olds). I can't get worked up about that. this is what's considered to be popular TV these days.

We did watch it, mainly because we've just passed that way. 

The Tunnel Op was the same man who greeted us when we went through the tunnel last week. A really nice guy, he gave us a hand at the waterpoint when we decided rather than wasting time waiting for our turn to go through, we'd fill the water tank.  Must admit, the 'Boggle' in the middle was a bit disconcerting ?

The bit that really had me yelling at the TV is when they crash the boat! I hate it.... ?

Edited by Jennifer McM

12 hours ago, Rooffy said:

Can't be doing with the sloppy inaccuracies - like the narrowboats are always referred to as 'barges', canalling is 'barging', the Harecastle tunnel is on the Caldon. And whenever did the tunnel keeper ever appear to wish you a happy trip through?

I've only been through once, but someone was there to give us a briefing and make sure we were safe to transit. "Have a good trip", were his parting words :)

There was also a chap at the North End who gave us our time, and wished us well.

have you ever been through it????

1 hour ago, Rooffy said:

No! Tell us about it

I think the clue is in the name..... not much need to tell you more :) 

14 hours ago, Rooffy said:

12 hours ago, jam said:

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0057872/

14 hours ago, jam said:

Watched it? I remember it being filmed on th GU in the 1960's. And yes, I have watched it (several times), I have it on both VCR tape and DVD.

Edited by David Schweizer