Celebrity 5 Go Barging 2019

Jo_

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I gave up long ago on correct punctuation. Having done some very serious stuff in a previous life time I understand punctuation to be trivia of the lowest order and not even worthy of a mention on the semantic scale ;)

och aye, 

4 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I know, I know.

Barry from EastEnders.

wot's EastEnders?

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I gave up long ago on correct punctuation. Having done some very serious stuff in a previous life time I understand punctuation to be trivia of the lowest order and not even worthy of a mention on the semantic scale ;)

There's a may pole dancer.

Theresa May, pole dancer.

• Happy 1

15 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

He was a question in the pub quiz last night, as in what title did he take when booted upstairs to the Lords?

We said Hull but the correct answer was given as 'Lord Prescott of Kingston upon Hull'. We didn't get the point. < boo >

We came second last.

?

I reckon there should be a prize for coming second last in a pub quiz. Any pillock, or team thereof, came come last.

But second last requires skill and judgement!

I go to a pub quiz that gives a bottle of wine to 2nd last

16 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

If he was in the Archers you wouldn't reconise him Shirley.

You wouldn't see Shaun Williamson, but his accent would stick out. I see he was born in Maidstone, but he does a good London accent. Very useful for an actor in EastEnders, not so good when you're pretending to be from a small country village. I've heard a lot of attempts at a London accent by actors from elsewhere, and few get it right, so I expect it's just as hard the other way round.

20 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

He was a question in the pub quiz last night, as in what title did he take when booted upstairs to the Lords?

We said Hull but the correct answer was given as 'Lord Prescott of Kingston upon Hull'. We didn't get the point. < boo >

There was a "Pointless" question about British cities of five or more letters, a while ago. I correctly identified Kingston-upon-Hull as a pointless answer.

Rare event indeed!

58 minutes ago, Peter X said:

I've heard a lot of attempts at a London accent by actors from elsewhere, and few get it right...

I’ve been away for so long I can’t do an authentic London accent myself. And I’m a native Londoner (although saaf of the river). 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

I’ve been away for so long I can’t do an authentic London accent myself. And I’m a native Londoner (although saaf of the river). 

Go back there for a couple of days and it'll come back. I find that when I revisit anywhere that I used to live.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Go back there for a couple of days and it'll come back. I find that when I revisit anywhere that I used to live.

I think it depends on the age you were when you moved.

I was born in Lancashire and moved to Surrey at the age of 8. I then moved to Staffordshire aged 60. My accent is southern, but gains the Lancastrisan pronunciation of certain words (cook, book, grass etc) when I revisit Lancashire.

My mother was 31 when she moved from Lancashire to Surrey, but has retained her strong Lancastrisn accent to this day.

25 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I think it depends on the age you were when you moved.

I was born in Lancashire and moved to Surrey at the age of 8. I then moved to Staffordshire aged 60. My accent is southern, but gains the Lancastrisan pronunciation of certain words (cook, book, grass etc) when I revisit Lancashire.

My mother was 31 when she moved from Lancashire to Surrey, but has retained her strong Lancastrisn accent to this day.

When I moved to Brum I was 19. Several friends kept insisting that I didn’t get on a bus, I got on a boozz, it’s not a glarse, it’s a glass etc. My accent is kind of half-way now. Midlanders think I’m ‘posh’ and Londoners think I’m from up north somewhere (definitely north of Watford). I can get back to the southern pronunciation of words like summer, glass, bath etc but sounding again like a native Londoner... no chance I don’t think. 

51 minutes ago, WotEver said:

When I moved to Brum I was 19. Several friends kept insisting that I didn’t get on a bus, I got on a boozz, it’s not a glarse, it’s a glass etc. My accent is kind of half-way now. Midlanders think I’m ‘posh’ and Londoners think I’m from up north somewhere (definitely north of Watford). I can get back to the southern pronunciation of words like summer, glass, bath etc but sounding again like a native Londoner... no chance I don’t think. 

I left Brum when I was 19 and still,over 30 years later, I say “buzz”.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/04/2019 at 16:28, LadyG said:

I amended your prose, added a missing apostrophe etc, no need to give up on punctuation just yet ..................

Hope you don't mind, weep.

wear-a-badge-over-your-pedantic-heart-gr

On 04/04/2019 at 08:37, cuthound said:

Thanks to you I have a disgusting image stuck in my head ?

You googled Shaun Williamson too?

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 1

Having one or two carefully selected people on my ignore list, it rather annoying to have their posts become visible when quoted. It can help to remind me of exactly why they are so listed though.

Edited by Stilllearning
To make sure my punctuation is correct :)

Just now, Stilllearning said:

Having one or two carefully selected people on my ignore list, it rather annoying to have their posts become visible when quoted. It can help to remind me of exactly why they are so listed though.

Sorry!

(and apologies too, to anyone trying to ignore Stilllearning)

3 hours ago, carlt said:

Sorry!

(and apologies too, to anyone trying to ignore Stilllearning)

No body is good enough to wind me up to such an extent that I would need to ignore them, no one is on my ignore list. The real laugh is that Stilllearning our resident frog will not see this post unless someone quotes it ?