Wiring 12v fridge

curlass24

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, curlass24 said:

Whats the best way of joining the cables?

Crimps. 

What is the cable length from fridge to battery and what size cable have you acquired?

First check that the lead from the battery is of sufficient size to start your new fridge.  Just because it ran the previous one is not a guarantee it will run this one. The recommendation is 1mm squared for each foot of cable between the battery and the fridge- out and back.

The best way to join it is in a switch dedicated to the fridge.  Otherwise chocolate block connector strip of at least 15A rating or other suitably rated automotive connectors.  Avoiding voltage drop in the connectors is important, so go oversize if possible- the start up current can be very high, albeit briefly.

N

1 hour ago, BEngo said:

The recommendation is 1mm squared for each foot of cable between the battery and the fridge- out and back.

Are you sure ?

That would mean for a Fridge in the 'middle of a 50ft NB, it would be 25 feet each way - 50 foot total - 50mm² cable ?

I have a Waeco CR80 and the installation manual states 12mm² for a run of 8 metres (battery to fridge as they have already included the return in the calculation)

Waeco CR 80 manual.pdf

1mm^2 per foot of cable is way over the top.

My Shoreline 12V fridge is wired in 10 or 12 mm^2 and is about 25 ft from the distribution board and runs fine and starts with no problem.

If you use chocbloks to join the cable, get proper termination pins or ferrules rather than just screwing down on the cable.

15 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Make as few joints as possible.

If the fridge is on its own fuse/MCB don't bother with a switch. If you must use a switch use a 20A one, not a light switch.

Better still a double pole one and feed the fridge through both poles. I think mine is a 40Amp double pole domestic type switch.