Registration Number on Boat

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Billericay Dickie said:

Hi all I am a relatively inexperienced boater and wondered if any of you more experience boaters recognise the type of  registration number on my boat. I have the standard CRT number but cant fathom what the one in the picture refers to.  Many thanks for help  Dave.

IMG_3253.JPG.3f500a7864349573fe46a0027e3eb1c3.JPG

The number looks like an Official Number of a vessel registered under the Merchant Shipping Act. The Tonnage is the Net Registered Tonnage. 

Howard

22 minutes ago, howardang said:

The number looks like an Official Number of a vessel registered under the Merchant Shipping Act. The Tonnage is the Net Registered Tonnage. 

Howard

I agree, but I'm very curious why what looks like an Harbourough Marine built ex-hire boat should have one.  I've never seen anything like that on that type of vessel before!

1 minute ago, Dav and Pen said:

I believe that if you had a marine mortgage the boat had to be registered and identified with a permanent number usually cut into the hull.

Not so. We had a marine mortgage on our boat and there was no requirement for it to be registered.

Once upon a time it was only possible to get a marine mortgage if the mortgage charge could be registered against the vessel, so that the loan was secured legally. That meant Registration of the boat by the Registrar of Shipping.

It might be worth the OP contacting the Registry and looking up the official number.  The details of ownership may need updating and there is, or was  a prescribed Bill of Sale for doing this.   The Registry is ,IThink, the only way to prove title to a Registered ship which can have up to 64 'owners'. 

N

Yes you could once only get a marine mortgage on a ship, not a boat. That simply means it had to be officially registered as a ship. All the early Harborough Marine hire fleet were set up in this way; ours, one of the earliest of the fleet at Trevor, was registered at Hull as a 13 ton ship. See my web page for more details of that.

Definitely Part 1 ships register number and tonnage .

https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-advice/regulations/Pages/boat-registration-in-the-UK.aspx

I had a similar board with my first boat (which is a lumpy water boat) .   There was no benefit for me in renewing the registration as a new owner.

Prior to 1994 the ships registration lasted indefinitely . Since 1994 it has to be renewed every 5 years otherwise the registration is lost.

12 hours ago, Murflynn said:

RCD requires the boat to have a hull or craft identification number permanently engraved (or moulded, or made from weld metal) into the hull.

It does.

But the picture shown ins not a hull identification number and it's on a plank.

My boat had a marine mortgage when she was built has all numbers and weight welded   on the hull, when I enquired to lloyds they sent me the paperwork for her it has name of builder and original owners details and amount the mortgage was for. They also asked if I would like to keep her registered for money's I declined that part.