Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
rasputin

What rules would you like abolished (from the cycling tread)

Featured Posts

I have a list but lets start with no more than one chainsaw ticket in your life.

dry stone walling ticket.. abolish it

and the biggie... the BSS  lumpy water folk get away with it ok and it dosn't work, there are still accidents.

32 minutes ago, rasputin said:

and the biggie... the BSS  lumpy water folk get away with it ok and it dosn't work, there are still accidents.

But - lumpy water folks generally have sufficient 'about them' not to need their hands held.

I'd guess there are 10x as many lumpy water boats as Inland boats and that they have a lower number of accidents (for anything that the BSS covers)

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But - lumpy water folks generally have sufficient 'about them' not to need their hands held.

I'd guess there are 10x as many lumpy water boats as Inland boats and that they have a lower number of accidents (for anything that the BSS covers)

I guess you be referring to me and dr bob :apple:

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Then again the opportunities for fire or CO poisoning are less on most lumpy water boats that the average narrow boat with a fuel burning stove aboard, I've passed a few burned out or sunken boats on my travels. I would also think that if we did away with the BSS it would be something of a Pyrrhic victory since, if the boats aren't being regularly checked via that, the insurance companies would be asking/demanding other checks, probably with more regular surveys

1 minute ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Then again the opportunities for fire or CO poisoning are less on most lumpy water boats that the average narrow boat with a fuel burning stove aboard,

Maybe not coal-fired stoves, but most lumpy-water boats will have a diesel fired heating system, a generator, a couple of engines and LPG cooking.

All potential CO producers if incorrectly installed or maintained (and probably the 'bumping and crashing' around would mean that the chance of a broken/cracked  exhaust could be greater)

Just now, rasputin said:

You'r supposed to be adding your own rules...

We are debating the proposed rule amendments prior to having an indicative vote.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, rasputin said:

I have a list but lets start with no more than one chainsaw ticket in your life.

dry stone walling ticket.. abolish it

The BSS is extremely recent, it was introduced the day before yesterday. I dont know if any figures have been produced yet trying to establish its worth or indeed prove its need? My first boat didnt have one nor did my second and neither killed me. Same with that other complete con brought over from some continent or other known as RCD compliance.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

My first boat didnt have one nor did my second and neither killed me.

Third time lucky!:giggles:

I must stop now. I know Rasputin doesn't like me joking about.Byeeeeeeeee

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe not coal-fired stoves, but most lumpy-water boats will have a diesel fired heating system, a generator, a couple of engines and LPG cooking.

April fool was yesterday!

Ours has got one engine, one cooker,one water heater.

• Greenie 1

+1 for scrapping the BSS.

My own for the list: Either scrap MOT's on road vehicles entirely, or make them every 5 years. The vast majority of accidents are caused by bad driving rather than unroadworthy cars. Alongside this increase penalties for those who run unroadworthy cars. Give people responsibility for once, rather than taking it away from them.  

Edited by The Welsh Cruiser

Can I add speed cameras please. If I'm driving in a town that I don't know, a bit lost, full of bus lanes. congestion charge thingys, box junctions etc I can happily flatten pedestrians, scatter cyclists, and run over cats, dogs and hedgehogs 'cos the most important thing of all is that I don't miss a speed camera and get a ticket. Stupid things. If I had a grenade launcher in the car I'd blast the lot of them into oblivion. There. I feel better now.

4 minutes ago, Bee said:

Can I add speed cameras please. If I'm driving in a town that I don't know, a bit lost, full of bus lanes. congestion charge thingys, box junctions etc I can happily flatten pedestrians, scatter cyclists, and run over cats, dogs and hedgehogs 'cos the most important thing of all is that I don't miss a speed camera and get a ticket. Stupid things. If I had a grenade launcher in the car I'd blast the lot of them into oblivion. There. I feel better now.

You should move to France, you'd find hundreds of thousands of instant friends within the gilets jaunes. 

6 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

My own for the list: Either scrap MOT's on road vehicles entirely, or make them every 5 years. The vast majority of accidents are caused by bad driving rather than unroadworthy cars. Alongside this increase penalties for those who run unroadworthy cars. Give people responsibility for once, rather than taking it away from them.  

This is weird. For the second time today I find myself in agreement with you. Perhaps if the peoples re education committee can re align your flawed views on brexit there is some hope.

Another: scrap the ridiculous law that you must buy a licence to fund the BBC, even if you never watch it. A regressive tax if there were ever one. If the BBC can't bring a 21st century funding system into play it should go the way of all other organisations that fail to keep up with the times.  

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

The vast majority of accidents are caused by bad driving rather than unroadworthy cars.

Statistics please, and from a reputable source, not some bloke down the pub or your own febrile imaginings?

10 minutes ago, Bee said:

the most important thing of all is that I don't miss a speed camera and get a ticket.

Why would you get a ticket if you are observing the speed limit? The limits exist regardless of whether or not there's a yellow box on a pole.

4 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Statistics please, and from a reputable source, not some bloke down the pub or your own febrile imaginings?

It should be obvious but given that you ask, it's on page 2.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/463043/rrcgb2014-02.pdf

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Bee said:

Let me help. Its not hard realy. It will be thirty miles an hour or on occasion twenty miles an hour. In a busy town its improbable that you will exceed the limit anyway. So now do you find it hard to remember those two speed limits? :D

14 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Let me help. Its not hard realy. It will be thirty miles an hour or on occasion twenty miles an hour. In a busy town its improbable that you will exceed the limit anyway. So now do you find it hard to remember those two speed limits? :D

Its not just 20s and 30s, there is a lot of the A6 that changes from 40 to 50 with no visible reason, driving what I consider to be a reasonable speed could catch you out.

While we are on about speed limits can we get rid of all these random 40 mph limits that have popped up all over the countryside, or at last stop adding to them. complete waste of money for cash strapped councils.

Edited by rasputin

42 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Is that not due, in part to the existence of the yearly mot. Scraping the mot could cause this figure to increase.

Edited by rusty69

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Is the not due in part to the existence of the yearly mot. Scraping the mot could cause this figure to increase.

It's possible. On the other hand, how many people are driving unroadworthy cars because they abrogate their responsibility to ensure their vehicle is safe to use on roads to the MOT test, which only checks this once a year. 

2 minutes ago, rasputin said:

Its not just 20s and 30s, there is a lot of the A6 that changes from 40 to 50 with no visible reason, driving what I consider to be a reasonable speed could catch you out.

While we are on about speed limits can we get rid of all these random 40 mph limits that have popped up all over the countryside, or at last stop adding to them. complete waste of money for cash strapped councils.

This is true. when I was a kid there were thirty mph signs and not much else. There was no speed limit on dual carriageways and motorways or indeed anywhere were the De restricted sign was displayed, the same sign is of course now called the national speed limit sign. Over the past few years we suffer just about every number between 10 and twenty mph all within a few short miles.

Just now, The Welsh Cruiser said:

It's possible. On the other hand, how many people are driving unroadworthy cars because they abrogate their responsibility to ensure their vehicle is safe to use on roads to the MOT test, which only checks this once a year. 

Dunno.But suspect less than there would be with no mot requirement at all in place.

We have a car that requires no mot or tax,but as I am a responsible fellow, refuse to take it out on the road without one.

Just now, rusty69 said:

Dunno.But suspect less than there would be with no mot requirement at all in place.

We have a car that requires no mot or tax,but as I am a responsible fellow, refuse to take it out on the road without one.

Mine is approaching that age. When it's 40 I'll make sure it's roadworthy before I use it, just like I do now, but I won't be getting an MOT.

Perhaps a solution might be to make knowledge of safety checking part of the driving test. This might lead to the cost of the test rising slightly, but surely better to have this one off hit rather than the annual cost and inconvenience caused by the MOT.

Just now, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Mine is approaching that age. When it's 40 I'll make sure it's roadworthy before I use it, just like I do now, but I won't be getting an MOT.

How will you do that? More to the point, how will you prove it is was road worthy prior to any accident you may be involved in.

At least now, you can say it was checked by a qualified tester at an approved mot centre, even if it was 364 days prior.

I spose if you took it to its logical conclusion, you would have the car /bike checked out prior to each journey.....but that would be silly.

43 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I take it you haven't driven in Edinburgh recently where you seem to go from 20 mph limit to 30 mph limit and back to 20 every 100 yards.