Hull Blackening, the latest recomendations?

Featured Posts

17 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

But you don't know if its porous or not as the Zinger will be making a barrier between it and the steel, all you know is that its stuck

But the boat that was next to me was done at the same time and it stuck to that as well!! so it does work

16 hours ago, nipper said:

Yes, you seem to have the perfect situation.

However, having a 15 year old boat that started off with a good quality two pack apoxy that got spoiled by the next owner putting the cheapest black stuff he could find. Then I bought the boat, I have over the last few years inherited what i have!

Keelblack looks to be too liguid for the hull of my boat and all its undulations, added to that it's dying times are not exactly quick!

Nipper

Between coats it dries fast I put on 3 coats in an afternoon which then means that you plenty of time to do all the other jobs and still be completely dry for put back in day

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I've given up thinking for Lent...

Is that because someone else is using the shared brain cell?

Why hasn't the forum been kept up to date with its whereabouts? We used to be but I haven't heard about progress for ages.

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

But the boat that was next to me was done at the same time and it stuck to that as well!! so it does work

Between coats it dries fast I put on 3 coats in an afternoon which then means that you plenty of time to do all the other jobs and still be completely dry for put back in day

I'll take note of that Peterboat!

But I would imagine that  three times around a 70 footer in a day would get a tad tedious if not a little soul destroying. ?

12 minutes ago, nipper said:

I'll take note of that Peterboat!

But I would imagine that  three times around a 70 footer in a day would get a tad tedious if not a little soul destroying. ?

Try it around a 57 x 12 and the 55 x10 which was next to it? that was tedious but it does spray on very well and was 30 mins a coat so very easy

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have been thinking about doing that my self

I've been thinking about you thinking about doing that.

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ok I won't read it then....

?

Neither will I.  I recommend no-one else does either - that'll teach him!

I've used Intertuf 16 for many years.  It seems to be fairly good as far as run-of-the-mill blackings go.  I redo-it every two to three years, after which time it is starting to suffer around the water line but otherwise fine except for physical damage.  I usually do two good coats brushed on with a day to dry between them, then a third coat round the waterline, usually a lot more depending on how much blacking I have left. Another day or two before going back in the water.

I've considered two-pack, but as most of my general cruising is on the Shroppie System (i.e. main line, Llangollen and Middlewich branch) and so subject to the notorious shroppie shelf I haven't considered it worth it.  I have seen enough boats on the Shroppie with two-pack that have significant damage to the coating due to grinding by the shelf.  As people seem to think it is necessary to haul the boat out every three or four years to inspect and patch  two-pack, and the major expense when blacking is the hauling in and out or docking, the cost of the blacking itself is not a major part of the overall cost.

I have the boat cleaned with a good high-pressure washer, and any blacking that survives that can stay there.

I had mine blacked when bought in 2011. Due to inertia, didnt do it again until 2015, when it looked like it could have gone another year or two. Planning to haul again this year, and give it another go.

No locks on the bridgewater, but I'd expect a similar amount of diesel spill to CRT canals, (whatever that might be?).