Canal and River trust Numbers. "legal" size / font

Kinver Canopies

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, blackrose said:

I just used to put the aluminum plate in the window when I came was on BW/CRT waters. Those plates have been laying in a drawer for the last 8 years. I'm struggling to understand why anyone would want those numbers or the logo permanently painted or embroidered on their boat - but then I don't really understand the idea of tattoos either!

To me, having the CRT logo and number painted on your boat is sort of like saying you're never going to leave CRT administered waters as your home waterway. I like living on a boat because there's a certain freedom in not knowing where I could be living in a few years time. I guess if you're sure about painting those numbers on, each to their own, just seems a bit blinkered to me.

I have no plans to leave CRT waters permanently, even when on the Middle Level and the Little Ouse I still had a CRT licence so the CRT number was the boat registration. Do cars remove their number plates when on a car park.

12 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

We just signright  the bw, bwb, crt or whatever they call themselves somwhere hidden,  it looks out of place on the boat.

Currently i think its  cunningly oxide on red oxide.

they seem to recognise the boat as being ours and the checker always gives a cheery wave.

the only one to complain was a vlockie who demanded the number last year. When challenged as to why, he mumbled and muttered so i gave him the fleet number instead.

Clearly the previous caretaker feels the same , last year i found the tin plates in the engine hole bilges when cleaning out.

i returned them to the same location.

What a rebel you are. Why make life easy for them eh? 

2 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Boats been around longer they have administered canal... its like putting a car numberplate on a tudor house with the name on

It's nothing at all like that - not unless you're thinking of a <40 year old (like most of the boats on the cut) mock tudor house, a society in which it's a legal requirement to have the name of the house on it and a standard style house nameplate issued by the licensing authorities.

4 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Boats been around longer they have administered canal... its like putting a car numberplate on a tudor house with the name on

So how would you in an ideal world make it possible to identify a boat from across the canal?

5 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Perhaps CRT should make some boats exempt from their Ts and Cs? Crikey, they must despair at times....

Historic not superior. No discussion regarding elitism. I have an old boat because i always have had. They became ‘ historics’ during my tenure. When i first started thats what was around and they were cheap. In later life like many old car owners i re purchased what i knew and loved.

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

So how would you in an ideal world make it possible to identify a boat from across the canal?

They already have a picture database, thats how when i changed moorings they realised it and chased  me.

its like forcing owners of historic cars to fit modern  year issue number plates.

incongruous in the eye of the beholder.

24 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

So the law should be amended to allow a certain section of 'superior boat' owners an exemption on displaying registration numbers ?

I'm not sure whether you detected the intended irony in my comment and are supporting it but, just to avoid any doubt, everyone needs to follow the rules and not try and be awkward. CRT must despair at times even getting the most simple of things to be complied with.

• Horror 1

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

Didn't Pickfords identify their boats and how was the toll system administrated 

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

They already have a picture database, thats how when i changed moorings they realised it and chased  me.

And the ones that don't want to pay their way just keep adding subtracting daubs.   IIRC the number is a legal requirement anyway isn't it?

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

As is displaying the licence 

This is true, but I didn't mention that as to me the number is more important as it has to be able to be readable across the canal (or some set distance anyway).

• Happy 1

24 minutes ago, Jerra said:

This is true, but I didn't mention that as to me the number is more important as it has to be able to be readable across the canal (or some set distance anyway).

The Bye Laws :

Every vessel on any canal shall have exhibited on the outside
thereof so as to be clearly legible at all times at a distance of
twenty yards
(i) her name and such index mark and number (if any) as the
Board shall have assigned to the vessel.

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The Bye Laws :

Every vessel on any canal shall have exhibited on the outside
thereof so as to be clearly legible at all times at a distance of
twenty yards
(i) her name and such index mark and number (if any) as the
Board shall have assigned to the vessel.

Given the amount of boats with no name around the system, I can't see size and font style of an easily discernable number attracting too much attention from the navigation authority.  Plus, I'd have thought a number on a removable cover would more likely be a secondary security mark in addition to a painted or plate version on the cabin side or in the window, likely as theft protection for the cover.  Removing a numbered cratch cover would seem a simple and obvious first effort of disguise for a tea leaf bent on speeding off with a narrowboat.

Edited by Sea Dog
Extra words

13 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Given the amount of boats with no name around the system, I can't see size and font style of an easily discernable number attracting too much attention from the navigation authority.  Plus, I'd have thought a number on a removable cover would more likely be a secondary security mark in addition to a painted or plate version on the cabin side or in the window, likely as theft protection for the cover.  Removing a numbered cratch cover would seem a simple and obvious first effort of disguise for a tea leaf bent on speeding off with a narrowboat.

Maybe the cratch cover is in addition to the one on the cabin side

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

Maybe the cratch cover is in addition to the one on the cabin side

Yep, that's what I was supposing. "Plus, I'd have thought a number on a removable cover would more likely be a secondary security mark in addition to a painted or plate version on the cabin side or in the window..." 

14 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I would agree, the point I was making was it is no good relying on a visual data base.

Licence checker.   Excuse me Sir you seem to have been moored here three weeks.

Boater.    No Mate, just arrived.

Licence checker.  I'm sorry the data base shows you were here.

Boater.   Lets see the picture.

Licence checker.  There you are Sir.

Boater.  Not my boat look that part is shown green its red on ours.   DON'T LEAN there the pain's still wet!

On 01/04/2019 at 17:32, Lysander said:

We have recently had our boat painted and signwritten and asked for the registration number to be accompanied by the old BW logo of the bridge and reeds simply because we like it. We are still here to tell the tale...

ditto...