Propane pigtails

dor

Featured Posts

I'm looking for new pigtails, and the majority these days seem to be ones with a hand wheel on the bottle end.  I've always favoured ones done up with a spanner, but maybe I'm just a bit averse to anything new.

So what does the panel think about handwheels?  The pipes seem to have a black bit on the end, presumably plastic/rubber.  Will these last as long as the brass ends on nut-type pipes (changing bottle every couple of months or so)?

ETA:   Advertised as

this hose conforms to the new 

EN16436-1:2014 code

Edited by dor

9 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I just did a google for both Propane and Butane pigtails and they both came up with the 'normal' connectors, so you're looking in the wrong place???

I'm not saying they don't exist, it's just that a lot of the ones that come up on Google do  have the handwheels, so is this now an acceptable option?

Blimey I didnt know they existed. What a great idea to dispense wiv the spanner. We used em years ago in beer dispensing equipment. Rubber seal rather than brass so dont overtighten I reckon? I will be having some of those ?

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Blimey I didnt know they existed. What a great idea to dispense wiv the spanner. We used em years ago in beer dispensing equipment. Rubber seal rather than brass so dont overtighten I reckon? I will be having some of those ?

We had them on our cellar gasses, but, personally, I'd rather have a 'gurt big tightener' when dealing with explosive gases.

Nitrogen, 70/30, 60/40 and CO2 - I'm not worried about if it 'leaks a bit' cos the rubber has got trapped / distorted / perished / under tightened.

I've just checked the BSS and for pigtails it gives:

A new European LPG hose standard BS EN16436-1:2014, Rubber and plastics hoses, tubing and assemblies for use with propane and butane and their mixture in the vapour phase  Part1:Hoses and tubings, is published.

So it would appear that these satisfy the requirements:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/5mt-Overbraided-Handwheel-Pol-X-W20-NRV-Pigtail-Caravan-Propane-Hose/2279158308?iid=222799831310&chn=ps&thm=1000

Reasonable price here for braided hoses too.

9 hours ago, dor said:

I'm not saying they don't exist, it's just that a lot of the ones that come up on Google do  have the handwheels, so is this now an acceptable option?

Yes its what I use passed BSS last year no bother. Saves looking for the spanner.

11 hours ago, WotEver said:

I’ve used both. I prefer the handwheel with rubber insert. 

I fitted these to my boat about ten years ago when they first came out. 

Excellent, I reckon. V pleased with mine.

One drawback is they don't fit the 3.9kg bottles. The handwheel fouls the body of the bottle. 

• Greenie 2

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I fitted these to my boat about ten years ago when they first came out. 

Excellent, I reckon. V pleased with mine.

One drawback is they don't fit the 3.9kg bottles. The handwheel fouls the body of the bottle. 

That's good to know Mike.  Thanks for your response.