A Return to Canal Carrying

Featured Posts

Fantastic news of a return to canal carrying:

http://www.chesterfield-canal-trust.org.uk/brexit-boost-for-canal/

Cargo carrying has returned to the Chesterfield Canal thanks to Brexit chaos.

P1050576.jpg

Classic Confectionery is a purveyor of high-class sweets to the gentry. Its produce is available in Harrods, Fortnum & Mason and Liberty’s, and has been seen amongst deliveries to Kensington Palace. Its home is the old Albion Flour Mill in Worksop.

The company sources its ingredients from across Europe, but especially from Denmark, where the farmers of Mitjylland, especially around Ringkøbing-Skjern, produce some of the finest peppermint, ginger and liquorice in the world.

At this point, we’ll let Chief Executive, Abril Først, take up the story: “With all this Brexit nonsense, I had become increasingly worried about getting our usual deliveries coming on a truck via the Hook of Holland. During my umpteenth fraught phone call to our regular freight company, I happened to look out of the window. There, on the Chesterfield Canal, I saw a working boat chugging past. My eyes were opened. After a few minutes of research, I discovered that this boat was called Python and that it belonged to the Chesterfield Canal Trust.

“I then discovered that there was a weekly small cargo ship travelling between Aarhus and Goole delivering all sorts of goods. It was very easy to arrange for this ship to go a bit further up the River Trent and deliver our consignment to West Stockwith, which is where the Chesterfield Canal meets the river. Here it could be picked up by Python and delivered directly to our factory at Worksop.”

P1060305.jpgThe first trial shipment was carried last week. It went off without a hitch.

Jan Warsop, who runs Python for the Chesterfield Canal Trust, said: “I could not be more pleased. This is Python’s 90th anniversary year. Who would have thought that this ex-British Waterways workboat would be the vessel to return commercial cargo carrying to the Chessie for the first time since 1956. Our volunteers have spent years restoring this wonderful boat and this makes it all worthwhile.”

Abril said: “It is very early days, but so far it appears that this method of delivery is significantly cheaper than road transport and the carbon footprint is about a tenth of trucking. It takes longer, but for small quantities of dried goods, speed is not an issue, however reliability is key. If Python proves reliable over the next few weeks, we hope to sign a long-term contract by the summer.”

Python.jpg

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Heartland said:

A pity that is was just in jest. Think of all that bespoke groceries ending up in the hold of a narrowboat now it is a broken dream sung by that other Python (Rod Stewart)!

From memory, "Lee Jackson" of that ilk.

On 13/04/2019 at 17:02, The Bearwood Boster said:

I have that 45rpm in my record cupboard.?

Someone will be along soon to work out what speed Python would be ding if the prop was turning at that speed - assuming there was some water under it of course ;)