Avon Ring Summer Vacation Plan

CM81

Featured Posts

Thanks so much for the help with our last post – we are planning our summer vacation on the Avon ring and think we’ve got our route down having swapped out our starting point for Warwick (we looked at the CanalPlan website and it’s awesome!). We're going to do the clockwise route, and this is our current plan:

Day 1 -- Get groceries, unpack on the boat
Day 2 -- Stoke Prior through Tardebigge Locks
Day 3 -- From Tardebigge Locks to King’s Norton
Day 4 -- King’s Norton to Earlswood
Day 5 -- Earlswood to Lapworth Wharf
Day 6 -- Lapworth Wharf to Lowsonford
Day 7 -- Lowsonford to Edstone Aqueduct
Day 8 -- Edstone Aqueduct to Stratford
Day 9 -- Day spent in Stratford
Day 11 -- Stratford to Cleeve Prior
Day 12 -- Cleeve Prior to Cropthorne
Day 13 -- Cropthorne to Tewkesbury
Day 14 --Day spent at Tewkesbury
Day 16 -- Tewkesbury to Kempsey
Day 17 -- Kempsey to Worcester
Day 18 -- Two days spent in Worcester
Day 20 -- Worcester to Tibberton
Day 21 -- Tibberton to Stoke Prior

We’ve decided on a lot, but could anyone here share any ideas for off the beaten path places? We’ll be doing the Shakespeare sites, and the Butterfly Farm, but are there any good hikes (half or full day)? We’ve found this site (https://www.walkingbritain.co.uk/) which has some good choices, but they’re not loops from the canals which is what we’re after.

Also, my husband and son want to see the Shellshey Welsh car races and we’re planning to rent a vehicle in Worcester to get there. Google says a half hour, but is that accurate?

Thanks so much again. C.

Not looked in great detail at all your stops, but I thing you have some bits that are not well balanced.

for example top of Tardebigge to Earlswood is an easy single day, and Kings North is not the best place to stop, so I would suggest you collapse that to one day not two.

You do not have very long on the Avon, use the day saved above to add an extra day, you will have to buy a 7 day licence for the Avon anyway so there is no financial benefit in doing it quickly.

4 hours ago, CM81 said:

Also, my husband and son want to see the Shellshey Welsh car races and we’re planning to rent a vehicle in Worcester to get there. Google says a half hour, but is that accurate?

I presume you mean Shelsley Walsh hill climb  which is about 12 miles from Worcester so 30 minutes would be accurate.  https://www.google.com/maps/dir/WR6+6RP,+Walsh+Cottages,+Shelsley+Walsh,+Worcester/Worcester/@52.2426254,-2.3920924,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x48705f219e24c423:0xd909f258596e6032!2m2!1d-2.4164278!2d52.2701736!1m5!1m1!1s0x4870505800bbccd5:0xab9aa4f4d0da911c!2m2!1d-2.221575!2d52.193636!3e0

Edited by Flyboy

5 hours ago, CM81 said:

Thanks so much for the help with our last post – we are planning our summer vacation on the Avon ring and think we’ve got our route down having swapped out our starting point for Warwick (we looked at the CanalPlan website and it’s awesome!). We're going to do the clockwise route, and this is our current plan:

Day 3 -- From Tardebigge Locks to King’s Norton
Day 4 -- King’s Norton to Earlswood
Day 5 -- Earlswood to Lapworth Wharf
Day 6 -- Lapworth Wharf to Lowsonford
Day 7 -- Lowsonford to Edstone Aqueduct
Day 8 -- Edstone Aqueduct to Stratford
Day 9 -- Day spent in Stratford
Day 11 -- Stratford to Cleeve Prior
Day 12 -- Cleeve Prior to Cropthorne
Day 13 -- Cropthorne to Tewkesbury
Day 14 --Day spent at Tewkesbury
Day 16 -- Tewkesbury to Kempsey
Day 17 -- Kempsey to Worcester
Day 18 -- Two days spent in Worcester

We’ve decided on a lot, but could anyone here share any ideas for off the beaten path places? We’ll be doing the Shakespeare sites, and the Butterfly Farm, but are there any good hikes (half or full day)? We’ve found this site (https://www.walkingbritain.co.uk/) which has some good choices, but they’re not loops from the canals which is what we’re after.

Thanks so much again. C.

I presume Warwick should actually be WORCESTER?

Agreed about days 2 & 3; that is easily doable in one day and Kings Norton isn't the best place to stop.

Day 17 is unlikely as I can't think of anywhere suitable to moor at Kempsey. You can easily do Tewkesbury to Worcester in a day. If you want to stop on that day then you would be better stopping at Upton-on-Severn, where there are plenty of pubs, restaurants and shops There are moorings on the west side of the river either against the steps or on a floating stage by the bridge.

Shelsley Walsh certainly needs a hire car to get to it and is about 30 minutes from Diglis Basin, but on a Hill Climb day allow longer. (And it isn't a race, it's a time trial)

In the past, when we moved boats for Black Prince, we've picked a boat up at Evesham late Friday afternoon, had lunch in Tewkesbury Saturday, moored at Worcester Saturday night and been at their Stoke Prior base mid Sunday afternoon. And that was just my wife and I.

Still some confusion here because I think the only logical hire base for that itinerary is Black Prince at Stoke Prior so not sure where Warwick comes into things (Stoke Prior is near Bromsgrove, Worcestershire). Perhaps CM81 can confirm.

JP

10 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Still some confusion here because I think the only logical hire base for that itinerary is Black Prince at Stoke Prior so not sure where Warwick comes into things (Stoke Prior is near Bromsgrove, Worcestershire). Perhaps CM81 can confirm.

JP

The way I read it she has changed the start from Warwick to Stoke Prior.

28 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

That is what I assumed, I think they were previously considering Kate Boats at Warwick.

4 hours ago, GRLMK38 said:

Gloucester Docks and Gas Street Basin are interesting add-ons to the Avon Ring if you have the time.

Do the hire companies allow the boats to go down to Gloucester?  I can’t remember seeing a single hire boat on the G&S.

3 hours ago, john6767 said:

That is what I assumed, I think they were previously considering Kate Boats at Warwick.

Do the hire companies allow the boats to go down to Gloucester?  I can’t remember seeing a single hire boat on the G&S.

I've seen quite a few hire boats in Gloucester, there are also a few boats hired out on the G&S including day boats that go out through Gloucester lock (when its open!). On one occasion we had to wait whilst a day boat was recovered from Gloucester Weir.

3 hours ago, Flyboy said:

3 hours ago, john6767 said:

I thought the previous thread said they were starting from Rugby and visiting Warwick Castle as part of the Avon Ring. I may have got it wrong though, I’m only working from memory.

JP

44 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I thought the previous thread said they were starting from Rugby and visiting Warwick Castle as part of the Avon Ring. I may have got it wrong though, I’m only working from memory.

JP

You may be correct, I know Warwick came into it somewhere!

There are no moorings at Cleeve Prior or Cropthorne on the River Avon. Bideford is 4 hrs from Stratford or Evesham 8 then Pershore 4 or Tewkesbury 8 hrs (roughly). If you like more isolated moorings then most of the locks have 48hr moorings designated by blue posts.

8 minutes ago, nikvah said:

There are no moorings at Cleeve Prior or Cropthorne on the River Avon. Bideford is 4 hrs from Stratford or Evesham 8 then Pershore 4 or Tewkesbury 8 hrs (roughly). If you like more isolated moorings then most of the locks have 48hr moorings designated by blue posts.

That's interesting.  We are booked in to the three festivals in July, and have a 30-day licence, but from what you are saying it sounds like we will have time to go up and down the whole river a few times that month between festivals!

Any "must see" things on the river itself?

Thanks so much for the help.

Sorry for the typo - I meant we swapped out Rugby for Stoke Prior, not Warwick.  And yes - I did mean Shelsley Walsh - sorry for getting the name wrong (I struggle to keep on top of everything my husband and son tell me about NASCAR!).

Thanks for the notes about where we can/cannot moor the boat. This is our new plan:

Day 3 -- From Tardebigge Locks to Earlswood
Day 4 -- Earlswood to Lapworth Wharf
Day 5 -- Lapworth Wharf to Lowsonford
Day 6 -- Lowsonford to Edstone Aqueduct
Day 7 -- Edstone Aqueduct to Stratford
Day 8 -- Two days spent in Stratford
Day 10 -- Stratford to Bidford
Day 11 -- Bidford to Fladbury
Day 12 -- Fladbury to Tewkesbury
Day 13 --Day spent at Tewkesbury
Day 14 -- Tewkesbury to Upton-on-Severn
Day 16 -- Upton-on-Severn to Worcester
Day 17 -- Three days spent in Worcester

Does this look any better? We're trying to keep traveling at an easy-going rate so we can stop, go on a hike, etc. if we want and not mess up the basic plan.

Thanks so much again. C.

8 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

That's interesting.  We are booked in to the three festivals in July, and have a 30-day licence, but from what you are saying it sounds like we will have time to go up and down the whole river a few times that month between festivals!

We are doing Stratford festival for the third time.  Given you will be at each festival from Thursday until Monday, assuming Evesham and Pershore follow similar timing to Stratford, then you will use up a lot of time sat on festival moorings.  However as you say you will have plenty of time to explore the river.  If just going end to end then I would say 4 days is a good length of time to take and there are some great isolated moorings away from the towns.

To the OP, I would still say the you are rushing the Avon, Biddeford is a great stop, but is only half a day from Stratford, so that day is very short, the other two days will be long.

7 hours ago, CM81 said:

Day 3 -- From Tardebigge Locks to Earlswood

I'd tweak this a bit.

Day 1.  As above, but you're probably wasting a bit of good sailing time there as you'll be all finished with the hand over in the afternoon. Consider a short run up to the Queens Head pub at the bottom of Tardebigge. You'll have a bit of success under your belt to prepare you for the next morning's climb - the Queens do excellent food to accompany your debrief!

Day 2. After completing the locks by about lunchtime, have a break by all means but consider going on a little further as Tardebigge top can be a bit windswept. I always go on to Alvechurch which is all lock free.  Moorings can be a bit scarce by the ABC boatyard and the Weighbridge Inn, but you can go on a little bit if you can't get in as there's both another pub and moorings around a couple of bends.

Day 3. Setting off from Alvechurch gives you an easier day here (or a chance to go a wee bit further) which will give you a chance to look out for the signs to an excellent bakery and farm priduce shop a short stroll from one of the bridges on the North Stratford canal.  I've been there so many times you'd think I'd remember the bridge number, wouldn't you?  Someone will know.

Day 4. If anyone in your party is into cars, they may wish to stop at Hockley Heath to press their nose against the windows of the McLaren and Rolls Royce dealership on the bridge. Those less interested can top up on provisions here instead.

Hope you have a great time!

23 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Hi TheBiscuits, that's not really what I meant - I was only replying to the OP's plan who was trying to plot regular hours to cruising  days. but it's not really possible on the river.

The Avon really is delightful and is my favourite waterway, we too are planning to visit all the festivals and last year took a week extension to our months license as we wanted to linger. And that's the difference, he is on a schedule and seemed to be seeking villages to moor nearby overnight, but if you eat on board and like to walk in the countryside almost every lock has overnight moorings and are "must see", plus several ANT provided bankside moorings all with footpaths into the hinterland.

4 hours ago, nikvah said:

Hi TheBiscuits, that's not really what I meant - I was only replying to the OP's plan who was trying to plot regular hours to cruising  days. but it's not really possible on the river.

The Avon really is delightful and is my favourite waterway, we too are planning to visit all the festivals and last year took a week extension to our months license as we wanted to linger. And that's the difference, he is on a schedule and seemed to be seeking villages to moor nearby overnight, but if you eat on board and like to walk in the countryside almost every lock has overnight moorings and are "must see", plus several ANT provided bankside moorings all with footpaths into the hinterland.

Thanks for that - it's what I wanted to hear.

We have family in Astwood Bank and Evesham, so will be entertaining whilst we are down that way, but we want some boating and exploring time too!

What are your "do not miss" tips for the river?  There must be some ...

As john6767has said Bideford is definitely worth stopping at but has limited moorings (like most of the Avon - room for 2 or 3 steel boats) so I usually moor at Barton lock above and walk the 1 mile path into the village.

I always stop at Evesham which has a nearby Waitrose and Aldi, a gorgeous park opposite the moorings and a good range of charity shops. Craycombe Corner a few miles down river is a good spot between Evesham and Pershore and Offenham lock has extensive moorings (for the Avon) above Evesham.

The 2 festivals after Stratford are arrive Friday disperse Sunday affairs but all deserve lingering to explore the towns - the "must see" theatre in Stratford, the Abbies in Pershore and Tewkesbury and the Red Lion in Evesham. I won't mention "don't miss" moorings or they'll be full when I get there.

Edited by nikvah

I was very disappointed in the moorings at Workman Gardens in Evesham when we arrived to moor there a couple of years ago. The moorings were empty and the Gardens had several groups of homeless sat around drinking so we didn't stop and moored at the flood moorings further down river. The town was also very disappointing bring mainly charity shops. Nothing like I remembered from when I was a child and my parents moored on the Avon and we visited Evesham regularly.

Pershore was so much nicer.

43 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I was very disappointed in the moorings at Workman Gardens in Evesham when we arrived to moor there a couple of years ago. The moorings were empty and the Gardens had several groups of homeless sat around drinking so we didn't stop and moored at the flood moorings further down river. The town was also very disappointing bring mainly charity shops. Nothing like I remembered from when I was a child and my parents moored on the Avon and we visited Evesham regularly.

Pershore was so much nicer.

I have to say that was my experience of the moorings in Evesham last time we came up the river, we carried on and stopped upstream, but I can’t remember where.  I would vote for Pershore as a town to stop at.

Another vote for Pershore,a smashing place to moor.As for Evesham,a few years ago we had a group of teenagers who decided to clamber onto our boat & pick the flowers.When asked to stop,they threatened to come back later when it was dark & do worse !That & the drunks made us decide to move on !