How boaters win friends and influence people

Sea Dog

Featured Posts

So there's a "Boater" in the basin at Merry Hill cutting wood with a petrol chainsaw, using the Wharf side as a hard point, at 1915 on a Sunday evening.  Interesting viewing from the pub opposite, but there the entertainment ends. Maybe I'm old fashioned...?

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

So there's a "Boater" in the basin at Merry Hill cutting wood with a petrol chainsaw, using the Wharf side as a hard point, at 1915 on a Sunday evening.  Interesting viewing from the pub opposite, but there the entertainment ends. Maybe I'm old fashioned...?

At 2015 you could have a point.  There are a lot of frame generators out there that are louder than a chainsaw!

19 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I love sawing up logs on a Sunday evening beside the cut, but is there any way of stopping my chainsaw smoking so much?

Jen ?

20p on a pack at the next budget? Doesn't stop humans, but you never know... ;)

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

At 2015 you could have a point.  There are a lot of frame generators out there that are louder than a chainsaw!

Not so much the time as the place. I wouldn't have the neck to run a generator there even if I was daft enough to have petrol aboard a narrowboat, but a chainsaw in such a public place, on a public footpath in an urban environment? 

Which raises a thought: I wonder where he stores it and it's fuel supply?  His well deck was full of gas bottles, so I suppose it might be indoors. 

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Not so much the time as the place. [...] a chainsaw in such a public place, on a public footpath in an urban environment? 

Maybe I'm missing a trick here.  I usually rely on my less-than-svelte frame and a 10lb sledgehammer driving mooring pins to scare off the ne'er-do-wells when we moor in dodgy areas.  The whole "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" look would involve much less effort!

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Maybe I'm missing a trick here.  I usually rely on my less-than-svelte frame and a 10lb sledgehammer driving mooring pins to scare off the ne'er-do-wells when we moor in dodgy areas.  The whole "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" look would involve much less effort!

Brill idea!

Was he wearing the mask aswell?

and butchers apron. 

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Why would you be driving pins into the paving at the basin at Merry Hill?  The bollards are an annoying distance apart for sure but pins are basically vandalism.  To be clear using a chainsaw in totaly inappropriate there as well.

Why can’t people just behave appropriately to the location they are in.

• Greenie 1

56 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I love sawing up logs on a Sunday evening beside the cut, but is there any way of stopping my chainsaw smoking so much?

Jen ?

Nicotine patches on the handle

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Why would you be driving pins into the paving at the basin at Merry Hill?  The bollards are an annoying distance apart for sure but pins are basically vandalism.

I did once try driving a mooring pin through the iron bollard, but it was hard work and seemed pointless.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Why can’t people just behave appropriately to the location they are in.

Because they are selfish and inconsiderate. So much of life is like this these days. Parking outside schools with engines running in residential roads. Parking on double yellows 'for just a minute' whilst shopping. Mooring on lock landings. Overstaying on visitor moorings. Parking in motor homes all day in beauty spots and seaside resorts. Not clearing up after dogs. Etc. Etc. Etc.

• Greenie 4

21 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Because they are selfish and inconsiderate. So much of life is like this these days. Parking outside schools with engines running in residential roads. Parking on double yellows 'for just a minute' whilst shopping. Mooring on lock landings. Overstaying on visitor moorings. Parking in motor homes all day in beauty spots and seaside resorts. Not clearing up after dogs. Etc. Etc. Etc.

You missed out Parking with two wheels on the pavement.

Howard

1 minute ago, howardang said:

You missed out Parking with two wheels on the pavement.

Howard

As I'm still spritely, I perhaps did not consider this, but did watch someone on a mobility scooter a couple of weeks ago, scratch a bumper in a tight passage on a blocked pavement. I could have put several more Etc's.

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

So there's a "Boater" in the basin at Merry Hill cutting wood with a petrol chainsaw, using the Wharf side as a hard point

Point of Order M'Lud.

He can't be both 'in the basin' and 'on the wharf side', can he? I thought the basin was opposite the wharf.

Not bin there for years though....

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I did once try driving a mooring pin through the iron bollard, but it was hard work and seemed pointless.

I'm guessing the mooring pin was too by the time you'd finished.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

The one at Anderton on the footpath was burning his way through it with a chain saw, more smoke from the blade than the exhaust and taking for ever to get through it

Brings out my nervous twitch

I took a new chain to someone once after a casual glance at the state of the chain and as I fitted it ( oh I normally just take it to the shop) found the bar to be so  badly worn it was dangerous

Apparently the dealer kept the old bar for their display of mechanical nightmares 

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Point of Order M'Lud.

He can't be both 'in the basin' and 'on the wharf side', can he? I thought the basin was opposite the wharf.

A point of order is an appeal to the Chair or Speaker for clarification or for a ruling on a matter of procedure in the House of Commons. I don't think points of order can be raised in the House of Lords.

Not been there for years though. ?

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Point of Order M'Lud.

He can't be both 'in the basin' and 'on the wharf side', can he? I thought the basin was opposite the wharf.

Fairy snuff - it was (is) outside the Copthorne Hotel, ish -opposite 'spoons. I think it's actually called the Waterfront Visitor Moorings. Still a very strange place to think it's appropriate to use a chainsaw, let alone then burn whatever unseasoned foliage it was he was cutting and stink the place out.  I'm only bothered because it ends up coming back on all boaters, not just the inconsiderate few.  Odd how frequently they're unnamed boats too, innit?

• Greenie 1