Replacing a broken window

p6rob

Featured Posts

One of my windows for shattered some time ago. It's still in place and I've covered it inside and out with plastic film.

As I was passing a boat yard, I asked about getting the window replaced. 

They think that because it's an old window, it'll be difficult to replace just the broken but, so are recommending replacing the whole unit with new. This is obviously expensive as a one off. The window is going to be 1100 plus fitting at around 400. Channelglaze have said there isn't going to be a discounted price for getting all four windows made at the same time. 

Having one or two window frames replaced is financially manageable but it'd be nice to get them all done at the same time and get rid of the rattly louvres but would need time to save up. Plus, I'm hoping to finish the Armstrong Siddeley car I'm restoring before July and need cash really available for that.

At the moment, I'm thinking of having a go at replacing just the broken window pane myself so I can save up to get all the frames replaced at a later date. Or possibly get the existing holes welded over and cutting openings for conventional narrow boat windows.

It's a dilemma. 

20190330_093600.jpg

If you can get it out and make a hardboard or plywood pattern then a good glass company or double glazing manufacturer should be able to get a piece of toughened glass made to size and shape or there are firms that do van windows who could probably do laminated.

If you are going to replace your window frames later,a temporary and cheap repair,would be to remove the old glass and make a new pane from polycarbonate sheet.4 or 5mm would be fine,and sealed in the frame with Sikaflex or Stixall.

Can't see from your picture how the glass fits in the frame,but it is likely that it fits from the inside,and may involve removing a bit of interior trim to get at the frame.

Polycarbonate sheet is quite easy to cut with a grizzly disc in an electric drill.

Don't use a saw! cos it will crack the sheet.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Rickent said:

When my window shattered two years ago I replaced it with a polycarbonate sheet and it is still in place now, might replace it with another piece of glass when I get round to it.

See the source image
Edited by Ray T

A friend of mine was very pleased that his windows are some sort of plastic when a yob in Middlewich tried to boot it in.

Note there are all sorts of clear plastics, we use to use one for see through guards on food packaging machines called Maklrolon which would not only keep fingers out but was also virtually unbreakable 

1 hour ago, p6rob said:

The window is going to be 1100 plus fitting at around 400. Channelglaze have said there isn't going to be a discounted price for getting all four windows

Just digested this price!

Had four UPVC windows replaced at home last year for less than £1000!

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

A friend of mine was very pleased that his windows are some sort of plastic when a yob in Middlewich tried to boot it in.

Note there are all sorts of clear plastics, we use to use one for see through guards on food packaging machines called Maklrolon which would not only keep fingers out but was also virtually unbreakable 

Yes,Macrilon as it's called in Europe or Lexan everywhere else,is unbreakable.It does however scratch very easily and if bent and under tension,and is splashed with any solvent,it will break.

I once made an aircraft windscreen from it nicely curved.Taxiing out a splash of petrol from the front tank vent on the windscreen,and it opened like a zip fastener on the curve! 

51 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Yes,Macrilon as it's called in Europe or Lexan everywhere else,is unbreakable.It does however scratch very easily and if bent and under tension,and is splashed with any solvent,it will break.

I once made an aircraft windscreen from it nicely curved.Taxiing out a splash of petrol from the front tank vent on the windscreen,and it opened like a zip fastener on the curve! 

Remind me not to fly with you!

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Remind me not to fly with you!

It won't happen.I doubt that I could pass the pilot's medical anymore. Age,deteriorating eyesight,and hearing have put paid to my flying.

Thats why I now have a boat! .Sitting around at home,going to play bingo,and growing spuds on an allotment,or whatever old gimmers are supposed to do,isn't for me.