Drive coupling

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Canal321 said:

OK then , after all that...

Hi @Arthur Marshall

I was wondering how your coupling attaches to the prop shaft? Just interested for when I come to fitting mine. (Sorry not for sale ? ) 

PicIMAG0881.jpg.19c1c6045c8042d5b844f79adb1ad8d1.jpg

Thanks

Haven't got a clue. I'll take some photos next time I go down. I seem to recall that the propshaft is tapered to fit, which is one reason I couldn't replace it without replacing the shaft too. That does look like mine though - any idea what it actually is, and out of interest, is it a Lister? And if you ever find another one... 

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Haven't got a clue. I'll take some photos next time I go down. I seem to recall that the propshaft is tapered to fit, which is one reason I couldn't replace it without replacing the shaft too. That does look like mine though - any idea what it actually is, and out of interest, is it a Lister? And if you ever find another one... 

I should imagine that that is tapered too with a big nut on the shaft end inside. The boss is too short to be anything else really.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

I'm intrigued as to why Traveller posted a map location pin 19 hours ago.

Its very odd, for a guy who has thrown his toys far and wide  to do this, why would he?

And its not inline with his postings over the past few years

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'm reasonably sure that's what we just found. Approximately what diameter and thickness is your coupling, Arthur?

Richard

3 hours ago, RLWP said:

I'm reasonably sure that's what we just found. Approximately what diameter and thickness is your coupling, Arthur?

Richard

Mine is 7 inches diameter, 3 3/4 thick. With the boss, about 5 1/2 inches long in total as far as I can measure. The bit I was looking for was the rubber bit, which we had to hack chunks out of in order to undo the nuts and get the gearbox out. How does that compare? 

Edited by Arthur Marshall

13 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Mine is 7 inches diameter, 3 3/4 thick. With the boss, about 5 1/2 inches long in total as far as I can measure. The bit I was looking for was the rubber bit, which we had to hack chunks out of in order to undo the nuts and get the gearbox out. How does that compare? 

Similar. I need to dig one out and measure it

Richard

4 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Hi, thanks for your response. It's on an old Coventry Victor diesel, with this type of gear box - www.thameswaymarineproducts.co.uk

4 hours ago, bizzard said:

I should imagine that that is tapered too with a big nut on the shaft end inside. The boss is too short to be anything else really.

Thanks for this, that is really helpful :)

3 hours ago, Bee said:

Has a bit of a home made look about it. The welding on that boss looks a bit like something I'd do (But a bit better)

I actually thought this myself, I will check everything is square and aligned properly before its installed.

16 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

This all sounds a bit rude to me.

I'm off to write to points of view!

31 minutes ago, Traveller said:

Not aware I did post a map location pin? Anyway - look guys sorry. I went off on one and it is unforgivable. So unreserved apologies from me to you all. It was a particularly bad time here and whilst I do not intend to dig into personal issues it was wrong of me to behave the way I did.

Nice one, have a greenie.

Moving on, what diameter and thickness is the rubber bit of your coupling?

Richard

37 minutes ago, Traveller said:

Not aware I did post a map location pin? Anyway - look guys sorry. I went off on one and it is unforgivable. So unreserved apologies from me to you all. It was a particularly bad time here and whilst I do not intend to dig into personal issues it was wrong of me to behave the way I did.

I felt there was something wrong, what ever it is good luck

I'll have to measure it when I get back to the boat which won't be for a few days so will report back. The boat is a mid 80s Peter Nicholls and I believe this was quite a standard arrangement for his builds - BMC1.5 and a TMP gearbox. Thank you for the greenie, Richard.

Thanks Brian. I believe the term is: normal service has been resumed ?

Edited by Traveller
big thumbs!
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Traveller said:

No harm done. Hope things are improved for you. 

ETA I would be interested if Richard has got something similar to mine, but only for future reference as I'd like to know more about it - I'm not planning on replacing the thing unless it falls to bits, which everyone who has seen it thinks very unlikely. And if it did, I would probably use something moderner. 

Edited by Arthur Marshall

1 hour ago, Traveller said:

Thanks Arthur. My pet engineer is of much the same view - it will last ages if not hammered. Like you, I am trying to be prepared.

I had to take mine to bits to get the gearbox out. Because the thing was so old, the nuts just turned the bolts and the only way to get a spanner on the other end was to saw chunks out of the rubber to get at them. Then the gearbox broke again and we had to do it all again, making it worse. I took it to a local guy who repairs rolling belts and does rubber annealing and he filled up the holes the first time. Second time was a nightmare - gearbox repair was fine but the engineer didn't put all the bolts back so out it came again to be done properly. This time I think I just plugged the holes with heavy duty Sikaflex or something like, but the yard reckoned it was about five times as solid as a modern coupling , even with the holes. It looks a bit of a mess, so it's got a couple of yards of gaffer tape round it to tidy it up. Been fine for two years now and shows no sign of breaking down, unlike my knees, back and other bits of me. I suspect it'll outlast my boating life, and probably my actual one... 

• Haha 1