Drive coupling

Featured Posts

The drive coupling on my boat is starting to look a little worn. It is not too bad but now would seem an ideal time to source a spare. Trouble is I cannot find one - it is a Metalastic coupling. Part number 21/642/2

Any ideas out there?

Thanks

Colin

6 hours ago, Traveller said:

The drive coupling on my boat is starting to look a little worn. It is not too bad but now would seem an ideal time to source a spare. Trouble is I cannot find one - it is a Metalastic coupling. Part number 21/642/2

Any ideas out there?

Thanks

Colin

Is your coupling the same as fitted to large GU motors? Previous thread:

If it's anything like this, I tried to find a replacement a couple of years ago after it got damaged taking the gearbox out.  I did find someone who could make it for me, but they quoted £900 and would only make two at a time, so you had to buy them both.  Cheaper to replace the whole chunk of sterngear...

After having a good look at it at a boatyard, we all decided there was enough rubber left on it, I got a local  vulcanising firm to fill the chunks we'd ripped out with rubber stuff, and put it back.

coupling (2).jpg

The Ford Granada propshaft doughnut fits the Lister LH150, LM100 6 bolt half couplings perfectly, but you need a couple of inches more spare shaft to fit one to make it universal and flexible and in isolation to prevent transmitted noise, by using nuts and bolts by 3 and 3 opposites, 3 one way and 3 the other, using spacers between.

Edited by bizzard

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

If it's anything like this, I tried to find a replacement a couple of years ago after it got damaged taking the gearbox out.  I did find someone who could make it for me, but they quoted £900 and would only make two at a time, so you had to buy them both.  Cheaper to replace the whole chunk of sterngear...

After having a good look at it at a boatyard, we all decided there was enough rubber left on it, I got a local  vulcanising firm to fill the chunks we'd ripped out with rubber stuff, and put it back.

coupling (2).jpg

I have just walked past a coupling like that, but I think its a bit bigger, on a scrap heap. What sort of diameter is it as I am not searching the threads to find out.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have just walked past a coupling like that, but I think its a bit bigger, on a scrap heap. What sort of diameter is it as I am not searching the threads to find out.

I'll nip down tomorrow and get the measurements - I can't find either the original thread or my measurements, but would appreciate you keeping an eye on the scrapheap! 

4 hours ago, bizzard said:

The Ford Granada propshaft doughnut fits the Lister LH150, LM100 6 bolt half couplings perfectly, but you need a couple of inches more spare shaft to fit one to make it universal and flexible and in isolation to prevent transmitted noise, by using nuts and bolts by 3 and 3 opposites, 3 one way and 3 the other, using spacers between.

I seem to remember there was a reason we couldn't do this, I think probably because of the propshaft which is tapered to fit this particular coupling. 

9 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'll nip down tomorrow and get the measurements - I can't find either the original thread or my measurements, but would appreciate you keeping an eye on the scrapheap! 

I seem to remember there was a reason we couldn't do this, I think probably because of the propshaft which is tapered to fit this particular coupling. 

Judging by your photo Arthur you haven't enough spare gap on the shaft either.

32 minutes ago, bizzard said:

The diameter for the Lister LH150, lm100 half coupling  and that rubber coupling is 5''  Distance between two bolt holes 2. 1/8''

I will take the camera and tape measure tomorrow but I think its bigger

Do post dimensions, I think I saw some of those recently in a pile of spares we are taking on

They were certainly for a Lister, not sure if it was a big or small one though

Richard

20 minutes ago, Traveller said:

No disrespects but I start a thread asking for help and it gets hijacked. I do not mind sharing but if somebody came up with a spare who’s would it be mine or Arthur’s?

Surly that is up to who ever owns it.

29 minutes ago, Traveller said:

No disrespects but I start a thread asking for help and it gets hijacked. I do not mind sharing but if somebody came up with a spare who’s would it be mine or Arthur’s?

So you ignore the request for a photo, give an obsolete part number and then complain when the thread diverges. Is that good forum etiquette?  Topics always wander off subject and people join in etc. As I have said before if you want exclusive answers to your question then pay a consultant who will only answer to you.

I strongly suspect yours and Arthur's couplings are different so  the person's installation it fits gets it.

Sorry, I have no idea whereto get a new one from but just about might if I knew what it looked like.

• Greenie 1