Second trip today - it’s a learning curve

sniffy the great

Featured Posts

Stand facing  astern, hold the tiller [the stick thingy], and point the rudder, [ the blade thingy ] where you intend to go. This works best if you are pointing at the wind, and have the engine in reverse. Of course it does not always work.

23 minutes ago, sniffy the great said:

Attempting to change which side of the canal to moor at, my reversing skills proved eccentric and the boat sensibly decided to turn round and take me home..

sniffy

It's because the boat becomes the very long rudder.

21 minutes ago, haggis said:

And while you are facing astern the bows are swinging where you don't want them to go. Might work for short boats but  not so good for longer narrow boats 

Haggis 

So look forwards and as soon as the bow starts to go off line correct it

It's not worth wasting your time in trying to control where the boat goes when you're reversing. Use your time profitably in thinking up your excuses of why you wanted to be where the boat has taken you. Examples include "No it isn't a moorhen's nest, it's just a bunch of reeds" and "Did you know you can see the spire of the Church from over here" etc

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Keeping Up said:

It's not worth wasting your time in trying to control where the boat goes when you're reversing. Use your time profitably in thinking up your excuses of why you wanted to be where the boat has taken you. Examples include "No it isn't a moorhen's nest, it's just a bunch of reeds" and "Did you know you can see the spire of the Church from over here" etc

You’ve sussed me....?

sniffy

I've always using just the tiller to steer in reverse only works if there is absolutely no wind AND no one is looking.

If you have a bow thruster you can use that to steer the front end with, whilst reversing. If not point the boat in the direction you want to go, put it into reverse and when the bow inevitably moves of course, engage forward (whilst the boat is still moving backwards) and correct the course. Repeat as necessary until you arrive at your destination.

Edited by cuthound
To remove a letter masquerading as a space
  • Greenie 1

As others have said, do your steering in forward gear (as often as necessary) and do your reversing in reverse gear (for as long as you keep going in a straight line). The secret is not some sort of 'advanced' boat-handling ability, but the patient acceptance that when narrowboating, doing the simplest thing - 'oh I've slightly overshot the mooring, I'll just back up a bit and come in again' - will often take ages.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its Sunday again, how about the third trip

No - today is getting ready for imminent house-move. Tomorrow is scheduled for trip #3. 

And i I must say, there’s been some very useful posts on this topic - I started it as a bit of whimsy, really and expected plenty of joshing but didn’t expect practical advice. So thanks for both types of input. Appreciated?

sniffy

• Happy 2

3 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Joshing can be provided, if you feel you feel it necessary!

?

There has been some joshing but there’s always room for more. 

sniffy

14 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Try to keep the boat in the centre of the canal. Go into shallow water, give up immediately. Has anyone mentioned the effect of propellor direction?

I don’t think they have.

sniffy

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Try to keep the boat in the centre of the canal. Go into shallow water, give up immediately. Has anyone mentioned the effect of propellor direction?

I had a big fight with a Senior Member when I explained to  him about prop walk. Two years later, I would not be so pre-sumptious.

Edited by LadyG