Where to put calorifier and inverter

Strettonman

Featured Posts

I am tight for internal space on my 40 ft cruiser back so want to utilise the engine bay as much as possible. With the sleeping compartment at the back I want to miximise space and want to avoid if possible anything noisy under the bed. I plan to heat the calorifier from the engine and install a big inverter and battery set. I gather inverters can give a bit of a hum so want to put it in engine bay but do they cope with a winter with sub zero temperatures ?

also do most people put calorifiers in the engine bay and just lag them well or am I advised to sacrifice under bed space ? 

Edited by NB Lola

Many calorifiers are installed out of living areas so that is ok. However i am puzzled about your linkage with inverter and batteries, surely you are not going to use an inverter and batteries to heat water. The heat exchanger from the engine should do that.

inverters need to be kept dry and cool. A cruiser  deck you might have damp issues as well as condensation.

I don't think I would fancy an inverter in the engine hole, given the amount of condensation I have seen in ours.
Our ancient Sterling inverter doesn't appear to hum, though my hearing aint good. The cooling fans are noisy though which kick in now and again.

30 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

The only time I heard a inverter hum was shortly before it went bang and produced lots of smoke.

In my experience they rarely work once they’ve released their magic smoke. 

Inverters like damp and dust free areas with good air flow for cooling when required. You don't get this in the engine bay. Most common place to be fitted is just inside the rear cabin. As for the calorifier, I just wrapped a couple of extra cyclinder jackets around it. No problems through out the winter of 2010.

My calorifier is on the swim under the semi-trad deck.  It is well insulated, but I used a can of sprayfoam to fill the gap between the calorifier and the side of the hull and also over the top.  Loses very little heat overnight.

I can remember Gibbo saying that condensation is the biggest killer of inverters. Keep it inside the cabin.

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Only lightweights have an inverter anyway....

Especially if it's a lightweight inverter.

Wait a minute, do you have mains electricity in your house Mike? You know, that place where you live? I was going to say that only lightweight boatowners live in houses but that would just be silly.. ? 

Edited by blackrose

Cheers all. Looks like calorifier in the engine bay with loads of lagging and invertor under the bed and hope it doesn’t find its magic smoke. Hopefully over night the fan won’t kick in. 

Roland - the only link between the invertor and the calorifier is that I am fitting them at the same time. I’m not going to run the immersion off the invertor. Who would think up such a numb idea (see my question a few weeks back ?)

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

Especially if it's a lightweight inverter.

Wait a minute, do you have mains electricity in your house Mike? You know, that place where you live? I was going to say that only lightweight boatowners live in houses but that would just be silly.. ? 

I don't live in a house. i live on one of my boats.

• Greenie 1