Washing Machine, where's yours?

Clodi

Featured Posts

As the title, we're refitting & installing a built-in washing machine.

My instinct is to install it in the 'bathroom', simple install re' water and waste. However I have seen a few installs by the rear steps, again no problem with water & I could use the existing bilge pump outlet. Installing it there will have the advantage of not transferring wet clothing through the boat to the outside whirligig. Our gally is midships with the saloon (lounge) to the rear. The machine could be hidden away by a door when not in use.

Any views welcome, I've already bought the thing and know all the pros & cons?

Ours SHOULD be in the galley, in the cupboard under the oven and grill; and, if the otherwise competent boatfitter hadn't built that cupboard an inch too narrow, that is where it would be.

As it is, it went back into Curry's stockroom.

My Washer/Dryer is in the Galley along with the 12 volt fridge and freezer and dishwasher.

My boat is a 50ft trad, originally with corridor shower room, as first picture. I re did the galley around 4 years ago and made a walk through bathroom. This enabled me to have units down both sides, so I could fit everything in. 

Need to change the laminated oak effect floor and re-paint the units.

James.

Narrowboat1012.jpg

kitchen 001.JPG

Boat Galley..jpg

Edited by canals are us?

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

In stern galley.  Installing a new hull fitting is easy. (It is never worth faffing about with multiple usage of an existing one. IMHO.)

I have an aversion to holes in the hull if I can avoid it, mind you I hate faffing around as well

I use a simple non return valve. Water can flow out not in. We've always used them on skin fittings on boats we've left afloat all year round. A Y fitting in the pipe just after the actual skin fittings with 2non-return valves means 2outputs can use same outlet

33 minutes ago, Clodi said:

I use a simple non return valve. Water can flow out not in. We've always used them on skin fittings on boats we've left afloat all year round. A Y fitting in the pipe just after the actual skin fittings with 2non-return valves means 2outputs can use same outlet

Bilge pumps don't like NRVs, that's all I was saying. They reduce the pump efficiency significantly. Also the waste water from the washing machine may well be full of bits that will settle back and gum up the NRV. Not sure why one would want that just to avoid putting in a dedicated skin fitting. It's not that difficult.

Edited by blackrose

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

Bilge pumps don't like NRVs, that's all I was saying. They reduce the pump efficiency significantly. Also the waste water from the washing machine may well be full of bits that will settle back and gum up the NRV. Not sure why one would want that just to avoid putting in a dedicated skin fitting. It's not that difficult.

I know its not difficult. It's simply that I don't like holes in the sides,. Over the years I've personally witnessed water ingress through drain holes seemingly plenty of height above the waterline. Admittingly usually on river/tidal moorings and usually due to stupidity on the operators where the mooring ropes have either not allowed for increasing levels or the vessel gets 'stuck in the mud  & the boat starts filling before the suction releases. I like Seacocks but then you have to remember to open & shut them. I usually fit Whale pumps and use their NRVs and can't say I''ve ever had any problems.

1 hour ago, Clodi said:

I know its not difficult. It's simply that I don't like holes in the sides,. Over the years I've personally witnessed water ingress through drain holes seemingly plenty of height above the waterline. Admittingly usually on river/tidal moorings and usually due to stupidity on the operators where the mooring ropes have either not allowed for increasing levels or the vessel gets 'stuck in the mud  & the boat starts filling before the suction releases. I like Seacocks but then you have to remember to open & shut them. I usually fit Whale pumps and use their NRVs and can't say I''ve ever had any problems.

So it wasn't the holes that lead to the issues, it was poor mooring techniques. As you already have some holes in your hull I'm not sure what difference another small one would make, but it's your boat. 

In my opinion engine air vents are much more likely to lead to water ingress than a skin fitting attached to a hose, especially if the hose is fitted properly and comes down from a sink above at gunwale height or if attached from below to a bilge pump for example, the hose goes up inside the boat before coming down to meet the skin fitting. All my skin fittings are 10" above the waterline, but they could easily go 10 inches below the waterline before any water ingress would occur. The engine vents would have flooded the engine hole well before that in any case.

4 hours ago, Kendorr said:

I've just fitted the Zanussi I bought from a very nice member called Winn. It fits perfectly behind the quadrant shower with its own dedicated skin fitting.

I've had a Zanussi ZWC 1300W on my boat since 2006. It's been a great little machine.

Edited by blackrose

13 minutes ago, blackrose said:

The engine vents would have flooded the engine hole well before that in any case

I know I'm just being silly about it, fortunately on our seni-trad our entire engine bay can flood before any water-ingress could enter the living areas of the boat