Finally got my boat!

vanboosh

Featured Posts

Congratulation - but a word of warning.

You'd be surprised how little buoyancy the round-cork-key-ring gives a bunch of keys.

They roll off roofs and into the briny depths never to be seen again UNLESS - shoes, socks and trousers off - into the water - 'plodge' about with your toes feeling for them and hope the gods smile on you.

Don't put loads of keys onto it.

I know about this  !!!!!

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

Many congratulations, well done!!!!

(Is that Polesworth?)

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

I know about this  !!!!!

Seconded. When I first saw boaters with a cork ball I doubted it would hold up much in the water so I tested one in a bucket. The most it would float with was one big key!!

So don't be fooled into thinking it will save a whole bunch of keys if you drop them in.

• Greenie 1

Well done!

Have you considered carpet tiles for your floor? They aren't dear, and when they get mucky you can take them up and clean them individually. We have had them in our last two boats.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You'd be surprised how little buoyancy the round-cork-key-ring gives a bunch of keys.

They roll off roofs and into the briny depths never to be seen again UNLESS - shoes, socks and trousers off - into the water - 'plodge' about with your toes feeling for them and hope the gods smile on you.

I know about this  !!!!!

Eek, noted! I will 'lighten the load' next time I'm down at the boat! I'll be keeping a few spares in non-watery locations, but I think I only have one for the engine. 

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Many congratulations, well done!!!!

(Is that Polesworth?)

Seconded. When I first saw boaters with a cork ball I doubted it would hold up much in the water so I tested one in a bucket. The most it would float with was one big key!!

So don't be fooled into thinking it will save a whole bunch of keys if you drop them in.

Doubly noted; I will 'lighten the load' considerably! It's near Droitwich close to Hanbury junction. 

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Well done!

Have you considered carpet tiles for your floor? They aren't dear, and when they get mucky you can take them up and clean them individually. We have had them in our last two boats.

No sir, but I have used them in the past so will definitely consider it for some bits though. I have done flooring in a few previous digs though, so I'm fairly sure I think I possibly, maybe, might, know what I'm going to do with it... Hopefully. At least I have an idea in my mind and a very full board on Pinterest, anyway!

Just now, NB Esk said:

Good stuff....those photos say it's been a well cared for boat, hope it all goes to plan....

Yeah, the previous owners very clearly looked after it well, which is one of the reasons I loved it. The survey confirmed it, too!

• Greenie 1

57 minutes ago, Athy said:

Well done!

Seconded. Best to get Flotex ones. Not cheap but they resist having engine oil and hot coals dropped on them (don't ask me how I know this). To clean simply run under a tap and scrub them.

Oh, and congratulations on getting afloat.

You do know what BOAT stands for don't you? ?

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Seconded. Best to get Flotex ones. Not cheap but they resist having engine oil and hot coals dropped on them (don't ask me how I know this). To clean simply run under a tap and scrub them.

I have both Flotex in the galley and ex exhibition hall ones in the lounge area 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Congratulations.

37 minutes ago, Captain Fizz said:

Well done, enjoy!

29 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Well Done ? And I hope you enjoy your new journey so very much.

:cheers:

Thank yoouuu! Very much appreciated, everybody!

Edited by vanboosh
  • Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I do! Break Out Another Thousand (did I mention spending quite a lot of time trawling the forums, youtube and reading the books? ?) Luckily I'm pretty handy with a spanner and a paintbrush, but I'm under no illusion this will be free living. I do hope that I've picked a good boat - everyone thats seen it says its great! Which will hopefully minimise too many unforeseen painful expenses. 

4 minutes ago, vanboosh said:

Thank yoouuu! Very much appreciated, every body!

I hope you'll pop back from time to time to let us know how things are going. Of course it would also be nice if you became a regular but I understand the this will be a busy summer for you. 

:D

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, vanboosh said:

If anyone in the Droitwich area fancies a nosey and a cup of tea and any words of wisdom, I'll be moving onboard 'full time' next week.

I'm not in the Droitwich area, but I'm always grateful for some words of wisdom, so feel free. 

Seriously, congratulations...... So excited for you. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I know about this  !!!!!

Good advice -- try floating the thing in a bucket of water.  Come to the conclusion (as I did) that spherical key fobs are more trouble than they are worth!

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Tumshie said:

I hope you'll pop back from time to time to let us know how things are going. Of course it would also be nice if you became a regular but I understand the this will be a busy summer for you. 

:D

Of course I'll be back! I'm a complete newbie, so I'm fairly certain there will be quite a few scratchy head moments that I'll need help with. Plus I'll post updates when I do them (if people are interested, of course)

3 hours ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

I recognise the moorings,a lovely area.

Do I guess correctly that you are feeling over the?& just a teensie bit excited ??

There may be a small possibility I may just be a little tiny weeny bit excited about it all, yes... ?

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I'm not in the Droitwich area, but I'm always grateful for some words of wisdom, so feel free. 

Seriously, congratulations...... So excited for you. 

Oh yeah, I possibly should have mentioned the words of wisdom are for me! Thank you!

2 hours ago, mark99 said:

Not reverse layout. Result.!

Not a fan?

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Good advice -- try floating the thing in a bucket of water.  Come to the conclusion (as I did) that spherical key fobs are more trouble than they are worth!

Yeah, I might try some sort of permanently attached to a lanyard,  attached to me method... Although I probably don't float any better than cork, I'm potentially easier to find. 

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

Congratulations and I remember feeling like that, it never completely goes away :)

A few of my neighbours have said the same which is great to hear!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, vanboosh said:

Eek, noted! I will 'lighten the load' next time I'm down at the boat! I'll be keeping a few spares in non-watery locations, but I think I only have one for the engine. 

Or use two balls. Or even three.