Bantock Rebecca

Penny Post

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Penny Post said:

No they are as she is now. We have gone back to the start!

Blimey!

That pile of old riveted base plate sections look exactly the same as the pile of riveted base section cut off the bottom of my boat a few years ago at Brinklow!

22 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Blimey!

That pile of old riveted base plate sections look exactly the same as the pile of riveted base section cut off the bottom of my boat a few years ago at Brinklow!

That is just what I was thinking, a boat with a self draining hull

10 minutes ago, Penny Post said:

It was indeed self draining!!!

Completely :offtopic: but reminds me of a BT retirement "do" many years ago now.

One of the much respected, old guard managers was retiring, actually being forced out by up and coming new brooms in posh suits.

The new broom couldn't even wish him well, but "slagged him off."

His retort: "If current BT management were in a boat with a hole in the bottom, they'd drill another hole to let the water out."

Edited by Ray T
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NB Esk said:

Sad as it is to see 100 yr old plate come to the end of it's life, I have to say I think you're going about it the right way.  I take it the old riveted repairs will be preserved just as they are?

We are definitely keeping all the wonderful patches and even making a feature in the interior to show off the mighty gash one covers.

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

Completely :offtopic: but reminds me of a BT retirement "do" many years ago now.

One of the much respected, old guard managers was retiring, actually being forced out by up and coming new brooms in posh suits.

The new broom couldn't even wish him well, but "slagged him off."

His retort: "If current BT management were in a boat with a hole in the bottom, they'd drill another hole to let the water out."

I worked with an old style manager once, who was reluctantly persuaded to take the voluntary redundancy package. His new manager constantly slagged him off and didn't even bother to attend his retirement do.

He got his revenge on the new manager by leaving his company car in the short term car park at Heathrow airport and "accidentally" locking the keys in the boot. ?

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, sparrowcycles said:

Hey penny, steve here we spoke the other day.. Wow, you're really going for it! 

Definitely better than an overplate. 

I hope you find some good history about Rebecca. 

Hey Steve

Great chat the other night...no bcn number unfortunately. Well when I say complete refurb ?

2 hours ago, Penny Post said:

Hey Steve

Great chat the other night...no bcn number unfortunately. Well when I say complete refurb ?

:) I have no doubt that you will do right by Rebecca, many people would shrink away from such thorough work, I'm glad she looks set for another hundred years. 

• 2 weeks later...

Now here is a question for Pete Harrison. Bantock was also a colliery owner, Their boatyard on the BCN would have built boats for other customers and as this must have been the case did any go to Bantocks other ventures.

11 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Now here is a question for Pete Harrison. Bantock was also a colliery owner, Their boatyard on the BCN would have built boats for other customers and as this must have been the case did any go to Bantocks other ventures.

I can only comment on this in relation to the existing B.C.N. Company gauge registers, of which I have a full digital set. Thomas Bantock is named on numerous tables both as Thomas Bantock and Company and as an agent for the Great Western Railway Company - and for both wooden and iron hulled boats.

My research only goes as far as the boats so I do not look into the owners as individuals or whether they have interests in other businesses. I am aware that Thomas Bantock had a number of interests but I do not know the trading names :captain: