Bantock Rebecca

Penny Post

Featured Posts

Hello everyone,

We purchased this boat believed to be a Bantock 1925 called Rebecca from Iver last year.  We are doing a full restoration from bottom up. If anyone knows any information or history we would be very grateful 

55554438_338263946800931_7423931381513715712_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=33b09869c1568e0bdff7b98d026c76f7&oe=5D13766A

8 minutes ago, Penny Post said:

Hello everyone

Hi there Penny and welcome to the forum :)

What a wonderful adventure you are embarking on :D and I wish you much fun and success with it. 

I stuck Bantock into the search function (at the top right of the forum site header) and found loads of hits but I'm not sure which ones would be helpful to you so you might want to repeat the process and work your way through what you find interesting. 

@pete harrison Clicking this link will take you to the person the MtB referred to. 

58 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

@peteharrison is the chap who will know your boat history. PM him if he doesn't see this...

Mike, Pete hasn't been here since last November, can you suggest anybody else who might be of help?

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

@peteharrison is the chap who will know your boat history. PM him if he doesn't see this...

Pete indicated to me recently he is not partaking of the forum at the moment

12 minutes ago, Penny Post said:

Would that be how to get hold of Pete?. I have had his name mentioned a few times and seems like the chap we need

Well, as Alan says Pete isn't using the site at the moment so you could try sending him a PM because he might have his account set to email him when someone PMs him, but he also might not, however it's worth a try. Other than that stick around glean as much as you can from the forum which will in turn enjoy hearing about your project with REBECCA, and then once you get to know people perhaps someone will help you get in touch. 

You may need to make a couple more posts before you can use the PM system. 

Good Luck however you choose to proceed. 

Edited by Tumshie

There is a better image of Rebecca  on page 20  of Historic Working Boats Today  published by the Canal Bookshop. No identification is given.

It may well be a working boat built by or for Thomas Bantock,, yet this craft as built may not have had a name. Many Bantock/ GWR Bantocks were given numbers. Some had names, though.

If  the number 1925 is a BCN Gauging Plate- then this was the Agnes gauged at Tipton  September 14th, 1936 for J Williams of Princess End and was a cabin wood craft. which does not fit !

As the Rebecca appears to have a metal hull. 

34 minutes ago, Heartland said:

There is a better image of Rebecca  on page 20  of Historic Working Boats Today  published by the Canal Bookshop. No identification is given.

It may well be a working boat built by or for Thomas Bantock,, yet this craft as built may not have had a name. Many Bantock/ GWR Bantocks were given numbers. Some had names, though.

If  the number 1925 is a BCN Gauging Plate- then this was the Agnes gauged at Tipton  September 14th, 1936 for J Williams of Princess End and was a cabin wood craft. which does not fit !

As the Rebecca appears to have a metal hull. 

The 1925 is the year built but not definite

I suspect your dates are off

i think bantocks are just pre and post century (1880s to 1905 ish) they varied in construction some had a wooden bottom plank with elm bottom, and strange shaped knees. However these  have been cut back to replace with steel.

looking at your boat i suspect its a gwr bantock day boat. 

If you do a google search gwr bantock day boat info comes up.

when you say restore do you mean back to an unpowered day boat , or are you restoring back to a point in time post conversion?

some of those gwr boats have lovely lines they are a teal chunk of early iron boat history

enjoy

I used to know the guy who lived on her for a number of years with his family at Uxbridge, just above Cowley lock. They moved to Oz after their young son tragically drowned at Denham in 2004. I've already pinged a message to someone asking f they have any contact details for him so will pm you if I get a result.

• Sad 2

I think that's the boat with the awkward looking cants on the front deck. Too much steelwork.

Was discussed here a while ago on the boats for sale section. 

Nice boat. Rather unusual dollies on it. I have never seen those dollies on any other boat. They are very distinctive. I wonder who did the motor conversion.

That photo looks like the offside moorings at Cowley near Uxbridge.

Eta I think it is a bantock but not sure if its one of the early ones with the wooden chine plank and wooden bottoms. 

Edited by magnetman

The firm of Thomas Bantock & Sons continued after Thomas's death. Their boatyard near Priestfield is shown on the BCN Distance Tables (1910/1919).

Gauging records mention at least three GWR Boats for their main depot at Hockley

459  7/10/1922  4                          Cabin Iron hull

735  4/10/1923   2 SWINDON        Cabin iron hull

1133 6/2/1926   5 HOCKLEY          Cabin Iron hull

18 hours ago, Penny Post said:

Hello everyone,

We purchased this boat believed to be a Bantock 1925 called Rebecca from Iver last year.  We are doing a full restoration from bottom up. If anyone knows any information or history we would be very grateful 

55554438_338263946800931_7423931381513715712_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=33b09869c1568e0bdff7b98d026c76f7&oe=5D13766A

Picture from 2013

2C010683-6EAF-4E7D-87C7-ABA91D70652D.jpeg

3 hours ago, Heartland said:

The firm of Thomas Bantock & Sons continued after Thomas's death. Their boatyard near Priestfield is shown on the BCN Distance Tables (1910/1919).

Gauging records mention at least three GWR Boats for their main depot at Hockley

459  7/10/1922  4                          Cabin Iron hull

735  4/10/1923   2 SWINDON        Cabin iron hull

1133 6/2/1926   5 HOCKLEY          Cabin Iron hull

Didnt realise they built so late into the 1900s also cabin boats rather than open day boats. Cabin would have been wood.

unfortunatly motorising has lost any back end so impossible to establish if she was open or cabined. 

10 hours ago, magnetman said:

I think that's the boat with the awkward looking cants on the front deck. Too much steelwork.

Was discussed here a while ago on the boats for sale section. 

Nice boat. Rather unusual dollies on it. I have never seen those dollies on any other boat. They are very distinctive. I wonder who did the motor conversion.

That photo looks like the offside moorings at Cowley near Uxbridge.

Eta I think it is a bantock but not sure if its one of the early ones with the wooden chine plank and wooden bottoms. 

I'm certain that this boat has a riveted iron bottom, and knew the previous two owners. They lost a rivet from the baseplate on the Thames, and even though that was repaired i believe the baseplate is still largely original. The motor stern conversion is really nice but i'd definitely change the cants up front! Perkins four pot engine for power i think. 

On 29/03/2019 at 12:30, Penny Post said:

Hello everyone,

reb1.jpg

reb2.jpg

reb3.jpg

reb4.jpg

reb6.jpg

reb7.jpg

reb5.jpg

reb8.jpg

reb9.jpg

reb10.jpg

reb11.jpg

reb12.jpg

reb13.jpg

• Greenie 1

Sad as it is to see 100 yr old plate come to the end of it's life, I have to say I think you're going about it the right way.  I take it the old riveted repairs will be preserved just as they are?