home address needed for first boat lience?

Leap of faith

Featured Posts

Hello everyone,

I am thinking of buying a narrow boat this summer/autumn 2019 hopefully. I have alot of options open to me and one of them is to do some back packing in the UK. Giving up my home so I will not have a permanent adddress anymore and as I say visiting some lovely places in the UK.  When my finances are sorted as I say this summer/autumn I will be in a position to buy a boat. Ok, what I am asking is when I am in the buying process and need to apply for a boat lience and insurance etc., will I need to give a home address or could I use boat mail etc.,  I would be very appreciative for any advice. Thankyou.

Welcome to the forum Faith. (Or should I call you "Leap of"?)

Basically yes, you'll need to put a land address on the forms. There are ways around this, the most common being to put the address of a friend or relation. Nobody ever checks you really do live at the address you put, it is only used to send you letters and (possibly) formal notices about your boat. The latter would only happen if you choose to ignore the pretty basic rules about how long you can moor in public places. 

18 minutes ago, Leap of faith said:

I would be very appreciative for any advice. Thankyou.

If using a friend / relative's address ensure that they are not claiming reduced Council tax (for single occupancy etc etc) as they will lose this benefit.

Many will say "how will anyone know" and it is a good question.

I know of one example from a couple of years ago, and there was another recently reported on this forum where a forumite had 'suffered' the same thing.

Just be aware and choose your address carefully.