12v TV sound

Movin' on

Featured Posts

26 minutes ago, bizzard said:

If you watch sports only, like snooker, tennis, cricket, feetball you don't need any sound at all, its obvious whats happening without it.

The snooker is crap on our black and white telly though.

55 minutes ago, catweasel said:

The snooker is crap on our black and white telly though.

For those of you watching in black and white, the blue ball is the one currently behind the pink...

18 minutes ago, WotEver said:

For those of you watching in black and white, the blue ball is the one currently behind the pink...

Hate to admit that I remember that :)

Was it was Lee Travis who had a snooker game on the radio?

2 minutes ago, Rebotco said:

Wasn't he the famous radio ventriloquist? ?

A guy I used to work with used to bang on a bout a ventriloquist on "the wireless." I always thought he was taking the mick, but in later life I discovered that it was true :)

13 minutes ago, catweasel said:

A guy I used to work with used to bang on a bout a ventriloquist on "the wireless." I always thought he was taking the mick, but in later life I discovered that it was true :)

IIRC it was Peter Brough and "Archie Andrews" who hold that honour.

Did I ever mention my juggling demonstration on the Home Service in 1956? (That's the wireless to you youngsters!)

49 minutes ago, Slim said:

The programme, titled 'Educating Archie' was broadcast on the BBC Light Programme every Sunday lunchtime

How about The Clitheroe Kid... still going in the early 70’s I think. 

Thanks all for your contributions - at least I now know there isn't a better TV out there that I hadn't found - I'm not sure what the solution will be from here but have a feeling it might be a slightly reluctant use of a sound bar!

Lets move on - what recommendations for SMALL (preferably long and thin rather than square boxe) sound bars under £100 likely to fit behind the TV in the "triangle" created by the TV sitting across the end of the galley worktop - I assume to maintain charge they need to plug in via USB or HDMI socket?

Thanks 

We have an Avtex 12V TV with built-in DVD player. When we researched TVs we reviewed the Cello range but were put off by the reports of poor speaker quality. The Avtex is very good, although not cheap. A nice crisp picture, moderate sound and - most importantly for us - incredibly low power consumption. It also gives us access to digital radio channels. https://www.avtex.co.uk/

3 minutes ago, Mike on the Wey said:

We have an Avtex 12V TV with built-in DVD player. When we researched TVs we reviewed the Cello range but were put off by the reports of poor speaker quality. The Avtex is very good, although not cheap. A nice crisp picture, moderate sound and - most importantly for us - incredibly low power consumption. It also gives us access to digital radio channels. https://www.avtex.co.uk/

Thanks for that …………………….?

Which particular model do you have ??

Edited by Halsey

32 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Lets move on - what recommendations for SMALL (preferably long and thin rather than square boxe) sound bars under £100 likely to fit behind the TV in the "triangle" created by the TV sitting across the end of the galley worktop - I assume to maintain charge they need to plug in via USB or HDMI socket?

Thanks 

Well, long and thin it ain't, but I'd still recommend what I recommended in post #2, before speakers were ruled out and then back in again. The Cambridge was on your budget at about £100 ages ago at Richer sounds.  Maybe there's a newer model now and other similar, including smaller and cheaper, versions are available.  However, smaller is going to bring you into the territory of tiny speakers from which springs the small TV sound issue you're trying to avoid.

If you are interested, ones like the Cambridge connect to the set by 3.5mm audio jack plug which can be left connected without affecting other functions.  It charges from 230v (other charging options are available). As I said, a charge lasts 10hrs (iirc - a few days of evening use for me), so I charge mine occasionally whilst cruising. The Cambridge also has Bluetooth connection, so that's free for streaming audio or radio from other devices and it has USB power output to charge or keep them live. I chose it for its sound quality, but plenty of others are available. Richer Sounds isn't a bad place to look and often provide links to "What Hifi" reviews for an independent assessment (the Cambridge was the top scorer when I bought mine).

If this type of solution doesn't work for  you, I think you're just gonna have to read small TV reviews til you find the one with the best sound - you won't do that on £100 though and it still won't be fabulous, but ought to beat the Cello whose only benefit appears to me to be the 12v supply.  My kitchen TV is a 22" Samsung and that sounds OK if you need somewhere to start that search.

Anyway, I hope that helps. :)

• Greenie 1

46 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Thanks for that …………………….?

Which particular model do you have ??

We have the AVTEX L168DR 16" TV/DVD CARAVAN MOTORHOME 12V/24V FULL HD LED which cost £269 from Capital Outdoors in March 2017.  The current equivalent is the L168DRS for £299 (which includes a satellite decoder). They are certainly not cheap, but they are good. https://www.capitaloutdoors.co.uk/pages/caravan-motorhome-tv

Splash the extra 40 quid on one of these:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio-and-headphones/audio/hifi-systems-and-speakers/bose-soundlink-mini-bluetooth-wireless-speaker-ii-black-10132926-pdt.html

Very small. Amazing sound for its size. Charges from USB socket. I have it on deck when cruising, via bluetooth from my phone, and permanently connected to TV when not.

I bought cheap before taking the plunge on one of these, and the old adage proved correct yet again. Buy cheap buy twice. I also have a Honda Eu20i which was second hand in 2011, and still goes strong :)

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 09:47, Halsey said:

Thanks for all this guys but I'm not actually getting any alternative suggestions which is disappointing but not unexpected - I don't want 230v and don't want to use a sound bar.

Perhaps the Cello will stay - picture VG!

A remote speaker is far from a sound bar. It can sit unobtrusively near the TV, or if wall mounted, can be easily suspended from the mount, and USB charging requires no permanent power supply. It is just one extra thing to switch on and off.

6 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Splash the extra 40 quid on one of these:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio-and-headphones/audio/hifi-systems-and-speakers/bose-soundlink-mini-bluetooth-wireless-speaker-ii-black-10132926-pdt.html

Very small. Amazing sound for its size. Charges from USB socket. I have it on deck when cruising, via bluetooth from my phone, and permanently connected to TV when not.

I bought cheap before taking the plunge on one of these, and the old adage proved correct yet again. Buy cheap buy twice. I also have a Honda Eu20i which was second hand in 2011, and still goes strong :)

Interesting. Does this connect to your telly into the speaker hole/socket?

7 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Yes I did. Thank you. Very interesting. I like Bośe stuff.

I’ve also had my Bose Solo 5 on the boat.... it runs on 20v DC, so can be powered from the 12v supply via a DC/DC adapter. That was quite amazing, but I took it home for some reason.

I just watched a comparison youtube video between the Anker and the Bose.The sound played through my Anker,so I am none the wiser.

I expect my hearing is not what it was, so "loud" is more important than anything else these days, and "even louder" next days. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

I just watched a comparison youtube video between the Anker and the Bose.The sound played through my Anker,so I am none the wiser.

I expect my hearing is not what it was, so "loud" is more important than anything else these days, and "even louder" next days. 

Yes but how well does the Anker grip when you drop it overboard in an emergency? ?

• Haha 1