12v TV sound

Movin' on

Featured Posts

I know this has been done before but I just wanted to canvass opinion/experience on 12v (or 240v with a 12v brick) TV/DVD's based ONLY on its own inbuilt sound quality and not with a sound bar.

We have a virtually new Cello which I don't regard as good enough...………….. but is there anything sufficiently better to justify replacing it.

Comments awaited with interest...………….

I have a Cambridge "Go" plugged into my TV for sound which is a huge improvement. It runs for in excess of 10 hrs (IIRC - it's never run out) on a single charge, so I charge it whilst cruising and let it power itself in use. It has both cable and Bluetooth connection, so I listen to streamed music and radio from my phone over it too. The on/off button flashes it up in Bluetooth mode and a second button connects via the lead. The volume control is by the normal method on the TV remote or other device.  Hope that option gives you an idea of how you might improve on what you've got, but most TVs have poor sound so it may still be useful info even of you decide to change TVs.  :)

I really struggled to get a decent small tv with good sound for our kitchen at home. In the end the one I went for had good sound but the picture is rubbish so I wouldn’t recommend it. We use a small Bluetooth speaker type thing on the boat, connected via a lead to the satellite box. Works great. TV doesn’t have an audio out though, so that doesn’t work if we watch terrestrial.

52 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Thanks for all this guys but I'm not actually getting any alternative suggestions which is disappointing but not unexpected - I don't want 230v and don't want to use a sound bar.

Perhaps the Cello will stay - picture VG!

there is no alternative. I gave up and bought a small soundbar with subwoofer. It was a new 24" Samsung smart TV but the sound wasn't upto my minimum standard requirement, even with new hearing aids! The Cello in the bedroom is rarely used, picture ok but sounds like a small battery powered speaker in a biscuit tin ... now there's an idea!

• Greenie 1

Yes, most replies not sticking to your criteria - so here's my take on it. The other week I was auditioning several different sets of hi fi speakers - it's amazing how different they sounded to each other - initially at least. And then the brain kicks in and does it's thing and you forget all about that one prominent frequency, or a dip in the low mids.

My point being - see if you can get used to what you have. I have a little (24"?) 240v Technika (tesco) tv - the sound is a bit rubbish really, but for normal viewing I'm quite used to it. I will run it through my stereo if watching a music concert, but otherwise perfectly happy.

It's the physically limited size of the sets not having any room for decent speakers I'm afraid.

One other thought - it should be possible to connect to the speaker wires inside the tv, and use that signal to power external ones (don't forget the internal amp is prolly only 3 watts per side!) - you'd have to get in there and fit some sockets or something but then you could try and find a half decent set of passive pc speakers or similar.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

Thanks for all this guys but I'm not actually getting any alternative suggestions which is disappointing but not unexpected - I don't want 230v and don't want to use a sound bar.

Perhaps the Cello will stay - picture VG!

Just out of curiosity, why don't you want to use a sound bar?

27 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Fair question ..................space and power consumption albeit minimal - mainly the available space where I choose to place the TV

I see.
I use a soundbar for perhaps a different reason to many: my hearing is shot (industrial noise.)
I got a soundbar off Ebay that wasn't expensive and is roughly the width of the TV. I mounted this directly on top of the telly so other than making the telly maybe 60mm higher, it takes no space below. I couldn't say if it is HIFI as my ears can't tell these days, but the clarity of sound is amazing compared to the little telly speakers, which I couldn't hear.
It recharges with USB and uses very minimal power.
I used two meccano strips to mount it using existing tapped holes in back of telly (the ones for bracket mounting on a wall.) 
ps forgive the cable ties, they are "temporary." ;)

DSCF4118.JPG

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We bluetooth the sound to the stereo and play the sound through the Rockford Fossgate speakers. Much better sound quality than the speakers on the tablet or the TV depending on which device we are watching something.

How do you "bluetooth" your TV sound to the stereo? Does the TV have bluetooth, or do you plug a Bluetooth transmitter into the headphone socket?

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Have you got the model number as that would be the perfect size for our new kitchen :cheers:

We have a 20” Sony Bravia in our kitchen (it just fits below the wall cabinets when sat on the work surface) and it’s been absolutely stunning. I see there’s a used one on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Sony-Bravia-KDL-20S3000-20-720p-HD-LCD-Television/63428321

240V only though so no use for the OP. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

How do you "bluetooth" your TV sound to the stereo? Does the TV have bluetooth, or do you plug a Bluetooth transmitter into the headphone socket?

We tend to watch films on the tablet which has bluetooth connectivity so connects straight to the bluetooth head unit we have on the boat.

Works a treat.

4 hours ago, Halsey said:

Bit harsh.  Actually you got plenty of alternative suggestions, just not for alternative TVs but we didn't have the no sound bar caveat then either.  I suspect you'll be hard pressed to get any satisfactory suggestions for alternative TVs either - if you read reviews of most TVs, particularly small ones, they all say the sound is poor.

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Bit harsh.  Actually you got plenty of alternative suggestions, just not for alternative TVs but we didn't have the no sound bar caveat then either.  I suspect you'll be hard pressed to get any satisfactory suggestions for alternative TVs either - if you read reviews of most TVs, particularly small ones, they all say the sound is poor.

Definitely NOT intended to be harsh - what I perhaps should have said was that "not unexpected" meant I have read enough on here to appreciate that the answers many people have provided were what I expected - sound bars and 230v tv's will provide a solution but that's not what my OP asked for - there is always the hope that someone has solved the problem in a different way.

Apologies if I have offended anyone...…………….. 

Have you got a bluetooth stereo system on board? If so, you could plug a bluetooth transmitter into the TV headphone socket, and send the sound that way.

Why dont you want a soundbar solution? - it's the simplest and best. I have a Bose Soundlink Mini II plugged into the TV headphone socket, which is small, sounds great, and can be left plugged in to a charging source, or charged every now and then.

Most computer speakers are USB powered and thus easily fed by a USB charger from 12 volts. they would plug into the headphone socket of the telly. Even if the telly has a USB socket it is unlikely to have the power to drive them, you need a 2 Amp charger or a car charger.

4 hours ago, catweasel said:

I see.
I use a soundbar for perhaps a different reason to many: my hearing is shot (industrial noise.)
I got a soundbar off Ebay that wasn't expensive and is roughly the width of the TV. I mounted this directly on top of the telly so other than making the telly maybe 60mm higher, it takes no space below. I couldn't say if it is HIFI as my ears can't tell these days, but the clarity of sound is amazing compared to the little telly speakers, which I couldn't hear.
It recharges with USB and uses very minimal power.
I used two meccano strips to mount it using existing tapped holes in back of telly (the ones for bracket mounting on a wall.) 
ps forgive the cable ties, they are "temporary." ;)

DSCF4118.JPG

How do you connect the soundbar to the TV?  My existing boat TV (230 v) is shot and I need to replace it. My hearing is really poor and I listen to it via RF headphones that require a 3.5mm socket, a feature that many latest TVs don't have. I have a brand new Bauhn 24" still in the box as the only time I tried it the sound was **** even through headphones.

What I would really like is a reasonable quality speaker source with the facility to use headphones if required. I don't need to have speakers and headphones at the same time. If anyone can come up with a proven setup I would be most grateful.

When I say reasonable quality I'm not looking for HiFi ,just something I can hear and that doesn't grate.

Frank

1 hour ago, Slim said:

How do you connect the soundbar to the TV?  My existing boat TV (230 v) is shot and I need to replace it. My hearing is really poor and I listen to it via RF headphones that require a 3.5mm socket, a feature that many latest TVs don't have. I have a brand new Bauhn 24" still in the box as the only time I tried it the sound was **** even through headphones.

What I would really like is a reasonable quality speaker source with the facility to use headphones if required. I don't need to have speakers and headphones at the same time. If anyone can come up with a proven setup I would be most grateful.

When I say reasonable quality I'm not looking for HiFi ,just something I can hear and that doesn't grate.

Frank

just has a 3.5 mm jack lead from the tv headphone socket into the sound bar. It can use bluetooth input too. This is known as "audio link mode" on our sound bar, which it proudly proclaims in an American accent whenever you switch it on.
ps our telly is the Bauhn, has a headphone socket and is much better with the little sound bar.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Detling said:

Most computer speakers are USB powered and thus easily fed by a USB charger from 12 volts. they would plug into the headphone socket of the telly. Even if the telly has a USB socket it is unlikely to have the power to drive them, you need a 2 Amp charger or a car charger.

Unless I've missed something technical, mine work okay off 12v. Telly via USB socket. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=elephant+speaker+system&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#imgrc=h4_C9FD4GZ4NHM: