CRT National Users Group Forum - 3rd April 2019

DHutch

Featured Posts

13 hours ago, RLWP said:

No. I tried to give this away ages ago with no takers

Richard

And that was before the event...!

I'm sure Daniel meant 2019 hence the bump.

Is it just another minorities with the loudest voices thing or an actually useful forum?

56 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

s it just another minorities with the loudest voices thing or an actually useful forum?

Are you considering representing CWDF there?

Richard

MORE: If anyone is considering it, PM me. I stopped attending ages ago, not because I didn't consider it worthwhile but because I felt I no longer represented the members of this forum

Edited by RLWP

36 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Are you considering representing CWDF there?

Richard

MORE: If anyone is considering it, PM me. I stopped attending ages ago, not because I didn't consider it worthwhile but because I felt I no longer represented the members of this forum

I have always found it difficult  to believe that anyone can truly represent the views of this forum. We are such a disparate group with views on every subject under the sun, and with some much more opinionated than others. Any input from a representative would inevitably not represent the group view of the forum, nor why should it. All this forum can claim is that it is a platform for those who wish to express their views on waterways related subjects or to ask for advice from others. It is not an association, a union or a professional body, and doesn't represent anyone.

Howard

4 minutes ago, howardang said:

I have always found it difficult  to believe that anyone can truly represent the views of this forum. We are such a disparate group with views on every subject under the sun, and with some much more opinionated than others. Any input from a representative would inevitably not represent the group view of the forum, nor why should it. All this forum can claim is that it is a platform for those who wish to express their views on waterways related subjects or to ask for advice from others. It is not an association, a union or a professional body, and doesn't represent anyone.

Howard

"You took the words right out of my mouth"

(Copyright Meatloaf)

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

Somebody who attended and was able to give good clear feed back on the forum would I feel be very useful.

It would certainly be useful, but I don't agree that we don't need a formal CWDF representative to do that. We would have to hold some sort of election to find that person and I think recent events in Westminster should make us wary of any more such shenanigans!  I do wonder, also, how long before such a report would be hi-jacked by some posters who seem to think it is their duty to pontificate on every subject under the sun?:cheers: For those who take offence the emoji is meant to indicate a light hearted response.

Howard

17 hours ago, Tumshie said:

Is that title meant to say 2018?

2 hours ago, bigray said:

And in the blink of an eye we've skipped forward a year!

See I have my uses :D

Not many of them grant it, but the odd one here and there ?

2 hours ago, Jerra said:

Somebody who attended and was able to give good clear feed back on the forum would I feel be very useful.

I have been to some of these meetings in the past, on a personal bases not as a rep for CWDF.

Although I do "loosley" , unofficially, represent CWDF at the C&RT press briefings.

Much of what is presented at the Public forum is covered at the quarterly press briefings, which with CRT's full permission, I publish on this web site.

The public forums in the past I have been to have degenerated into slanging matches between different factions of boaters. None of these factions would come to order so CRT suspended the meetings for a while and personally I don't blame them. Both"Joe Average", if there is such a thing, or CRT were unable to get a word in edgeways.

Edited by Ray T

27 minutes ago, howardang said:

It would certainly be useful, but I don't agree that we don't need a formal CWDF representative to do that. We would have to hold some sort of election to find that person and I think recent events in Westminster should make us wary of any more such shenanigans!  I do wonder, also, how long before such a report would be hi-jacked by some posters who seem to think it is their duty to pontificate on every subject under the sun?:cheers: For those who take offence the emoji is meant to indicate a light hearted response.

Howard

Currently nobody seems to be going.  It is unlikely a Representative will be found before 3/4/19  somebody who was prepared to give a report as opposed to being a rep would be a help.

Living 200+ miles away I won't be going.

10 minutes ago, LadyG said:

In this day and age, all they need do is record the meeting and post it on youtube or suchlike.

That does require a few things.

Somebody at the meeting - currently that looks unlikely.

Somebody prepared to do the recording.

A meeting which permits the recording - not all do.

20 minutes ago, LadyG said:

In this day and age, all they need do is record the meeting and post it on youtube or suchlike.

Youtube is less of a forum and more of an observation gallery, though it does allow for interactive comment, it wouldn't practically allow people to participate and have their say. It might be nice to have to have a recording of the meeting but not as a be all and end all.

I don't really know what it's set up is but I think youtube would only be practical as an observational tool. 

24 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Good point. In which case why have a meeting at all?

An on-line video conference would suffice, Shirley, and might help maintain order. 

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Good point. In which case why have a meeting at all?

Great - till too many people want to have their say and the whole thing crashes and nobody gets to say anything. :giggles:

Just now, Tumshie said:

Great - till too many people want to have their say and the whole thing crashes and nobody gets to say anything. :giggles:

Which by all accounts is what happens in Birmingham anyway. So quite a lot of petrol/diesel will be saved...

?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jerra said:

Currently nobody seems to be going.  It is unlikely a Representative will be found before 3/4/19  somebody who was prepared to give a report as opposed to being a rep would be a help.

Living 200+ miles away I won't be going.

The minutes are distributed after the meeting, it's possible to cut and paste them here

Much of the meeting is communication from CRT. Sometimes there are small workshops to try to understand stuff

Like many of these things, it's the coffee breaks that are more interesting

I have taken the circulation list an extracted organisations (and some unnamed individuals - the Elected ones). There is usually one person from each of these present:

Elected Private Boating

Elected Member Boating Business

AWCC

BMF

BMF Tourism

BMIBoating

BMIBuilding

BMS

British Canoeing

British Horse Society

British Rowing

Canal Boat Magazine

Canal Travel

Canal World Forum

CBOA

CLA

DBA

Electric Boat Association

Friends of Glos Waterways Museum

HNBC

Horse Boating Society

IWA

NABO

NBTA

NCBA

NFU

Ramblers Association

RBOA

Roving Canal Traders Assn

Royal Yachting Assn

Senior Waterways Chaplain

Sport & Recreation Alliance

Steamboat Association of GB

Sustrans

The Angling Trust

The Boating Association

The Yacht Harbour Association

Towpath Talk

Elected Private Boating

Waterways Chaplain

Waterways World

Wooden Boat Canal Society

I'm surprised the Power Boating Association has slipped out of the circulation, maybe I missed them

It isn't a long meeting, 10:30am until 1:00pm, and usually pretty interesting. If anyone would like to go, PM me

Richard

Edited by RLWP

15 minutes ago, RLWP said:

The minutes are distributed after the meeting, it's possible to cut and paste them here

Much of the meeting is communication from CRT. Sometimes there are small workshops to try to understand stuff

Like many of these things, it's the coffee breaks that are more interesting

I have taken the circulation list an extracted organisations (and some unnamed individuals - the Elected ones). There is usually one person from each of these present:

Elected Private Boating

Elected Member Boating Business

AWCC

BMF

BMF Tourism

BMIBoating

BMIBuilding

BMS

British Canoeing

British Horse Society

British Rowing

Canal Boat Magazine

Canal Travel

Canal World Forum

CBOA

CLA

DBA

Electric Boat Association

Friends of Glos Waterways Museum

HNBC

Horse Boating Society

IWA

NABO

NBTA

NCBA

NFU

Ramblers Association

RBOA

Roving Canal Traders Assn

Royal Yachting Assn

Senior Waterways Chaplain

Sport & Recreation Alliance

Steamboat Association of GB

Sustrans

The Angling Trust

The Boating Association

The Yacht Harbour Association

Towpath Talk

Elected Private Boating

Waterways Chaplain

Waterways World

Wooden Boat Canal Society

I'm surprised the Power Boating Association has slipped out of the circulation, maybe I missed them

It isn't a long meeting, 10:30am until 1:00pm, and usually pretty interesting. If anyone would like to go, PM me

Richard

Interesting, thank you.

I am not nit picking but elected private boating is listed twice does this mean there are 2 reps or is it a typo?

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Interesting, thank you.

I am not nit picking but elected private boating is listed twice does this mean there are 2 reps or is it a typo?

Two different people. I'm not sure of where they are elected from

Richard

4 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Two different people. I'm not sure of where they are elected from

Richard

Presumably 2 of the 4 "Private Boater" reps elected by private boaters to CRT Council?

StarUKWiki who is occasionally on the forum is one of the 4 elected reps.  (As is the infamous Vaughn Welch!)