Change a trad stern to a semi trad

Featured Posts

This boat was an inheritance and not fit for the growing family’s needs hence the extension in length the semi trad area was more suited to children they placed great sentiment on the inheritance and did not want to part with the boat 

selling it with fees and advertising was costly so they decided to alter it 

the hull was in good condition and selling and buying another was not considered 

• Greenie 1

I can understand the idea of a semi-trad when you have a number of folks on board. we hired one from Teddesley (Hull by Bob Allen IIRC), but it was desperately uncomfortable for adults to sit on the seats because the curvature of the hull (especially on a quality hull caught you in the middle of your back. If you sat further out you fell off the seat....

Mr Davis (if he's still there) change the design of Napton boats by having a dog cart type rail where the semi would be. Looks 'orrible to a purist - but 'does the job'

Whatever is required it's Mr. Kedian who does a fantastic job - always a pleasure to look at his photos - you can't really call that touting for business, especially on a forum that's supposed to be for enthusiasts.  

• Love 1

I've often thought of buying  a semi trad that has got weathered outside and turning it into a trad as they seem to attract more money and sell better.

Possible with a huge hatch and another smaller one on top, the big ones worry me as they are difficult to open from inside in a panic.

Never understood the semi, seems like a waste of space to me and desperately uncomfortable not to mention the problem keeping the weather out. An awkward to work on engine in many too.

Edited by Boater Sam

4 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

I've often thought of buying  a semi trad that has got weathered outside and turning it into a trad as they seem to attract more money and sell better.

Shifting the engine 8ft forward to create the engine room seems like a lot of trouble though.....

:P

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh I see. Not a proper trad then. A 'Hudson' style 'trad'.....

I prefer to live in my boat rather than struggle climbing over a lump of antiquated cast iron to get to the galley but to each his own.

Some folk are flexible, others are bigots, it takes all sorts.

6 minutes ago, dmr said:

Brexit has split this nation in half, those who want a lump of cast iron inside the boat, and those who don't  ?

...............Dave

The population can also be split into two other types of folk. Those who divide people into two categories, and those who......

:giggles: