Idiot of the week

Johny London

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, Johny London said:

it irks me when people have to tie up right at the very first inch of bank after the landing stage, or even put a cheeky rope on the last bollard,

Why "cheeky"? As the rope normally extends beyond a moored boat's bow or stern, ergo if your rope is round the last (first?) bollard, then the hull of your boat is clear of the landing stage and you are properly moored. We have occasionally done this when there have been no other spaces on the lock approach.

13 minutes ago, Athy said:

Why "cheeky"? As the rope normally extends beyond a moored boat's bow or stern, ergo if your rope is round the last (first?) bollard, then the hull of your boat is clear of the landing stage and you are properly moored. We have occasionally done this when there have been no other spaces on the lock approach.

Its the thin end of the wedge innitt. I have to say I have never done it but then again I am perfect innitt ?

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its the thin end of the wedge innitt. 

I wouldn't say so, no more than parking a car with its nose a few inches from the white line designating the end of a parking zone is the thin end of the wedge.

We perhaps have an advantage in that, being 45' long, we can slip into a space which more extended boats couldn't. That does, though, raise the question as to why the first boat in the line moored 47' from the landing stage in the first place.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Because there was a 45 footer, that has since moved.

That had occurred to me too. But, as you'll have noticed, boats often moor leaving apparently random spaces in front of and behind them.

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

That had occurred to me too. But, as you'll have noticed, boats often moor leaving apparently random spaces in front of and behind them.

We call it the "Git Gap" as it's the easiest way to make a visitor mooring take half as many boats as it is designed for.

• Greenie 3

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

We call it the "Git Gap" as it's the easiest way to make a visitor mooring take half as many boats as it is designed for.

I think most of us have been left in your "git gap" scenario after another boat has departed. I wonder how many of us concienciously move to make room for someone else, unless another boat comes along and asks?

Howard

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

....or perhaps the "Brit Gap", as leaving such spaces is probably to do with the reserved and polite nature of most British people: we do not like to crowd our neighbours.

Maybe, but on a convenient visitor mooring I consider it more polite to share rings/bollards with the next boat, giving more boats the chance to use the VM.

If people want to not share moorings, they can always use pins just past the end of the VM.

1 minute ago, howardang said:

I think most of us have been left in your "git gap" scenario after another boat has departed. I wonder how many of us concienciously move to make room for someone else, unless another boat comes along and asks?

Howard

Yes, that does happen occasionally, but it is far more common to see a boat turn up and moor 30 feet along from a boat already there.

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Maybe, but on a convenient visitor mooring I consider it more polite to share rings/bollards with the next boat, giving more boats the chance to use the VM.

know that and you know that, but....

36 minutes ago, dixi188 said:

How do people on here feel about moving another boat along a bit to allow space to moor.

I have done this once or twice.

Thoughts?

It is tempting, but I can't remember every elding to temptation.

Not that temptation, anyway. 

43 minutes ago, dixi188 said:

How do people on here feel about moving another boat along a bit to allow space to moor.

Thoughts?

I've done it once or twice, but I usually moor right next to any boat that is already there anyway, so as to avoid leaving unusable short spaces, despite the funny looks you sometimes get. Most proper boaters realise why I do that.

7 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I've done it once or twice, but I usually moor right next to any boat that is already there anyway, so as to avoid leaving unusable short spaces, despite the funny looks you sometimes get. Most proper boaters realise why I do that.

Exactly this.....

51 minutes ago, dixi188 said:

Thoughts?

I would certainly do it if I found the boat's moorings had come adrift, or the boat was in an unsafe situation. However, I would be wary of just moving someones  boat to make room. It may leave you open to dispute if the moorings then came adrift/caused damage,  for whatever reason. 

Howard

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

When pulling into a space behind another boat on a busy VM, the owner of that boat came to inform me that they would have to start their noisy smokey engine presently to heat water/charge battery. After I sympathised with them for not being able to afford to rectify such uncomfortable faults which must impact on their life, they started up their quiet, clean engine, untied and left.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, howardang said:

Howard

I do when I'm on a busy visitor mooring and I get left with a pointless small gap between my boat and the next.

Now where did i put down my halo?

11 hours ago, jam said:

For some months recently it has been hogged by C&RT work boats.

1 Month, around 20 February

11 hours ago, dor said:

That was while they were working on the towpath and clearing vegetation down by Marsh Lane.  Wasn't there last week.

I should have said while volunteers were working, albeit with CRT support.

DSCF1075.JPG

15 hours ago, dor said:

Then there are the jokers who tie up in the middle of a water point.   The one at Nantwich services is ample for two 60ft-plus boats.  It’s quite a busy location, so what makes these tw*ts think it’s ok to tie up in the middle? One of these cerebrally challenged even once said he had to stop there as his hose wouldn’t reach otherwise. I did point out that his filler would actually be nearer the tap if he moved to the end, but he went and hid in his boat.

Since there is only one tap at the Nantwich water point it is a bit academic if someone ties up in the middle. If you measure the actual mooring at Nantwich on Google you will find that it is actually 35.48 metres long between the bollards, a 60 foot narrowboat is 18.2 metres long so that isn't 'ample room' by any stretch, you can get two on (just) but one has to moor on the section of grass between the end of the service point and the bridge, where there is no mooring rings.

If I arrive at a water point and someone is already there I will usually ask if it is OK to breast up and wait, never had anyone refuse so far. This is all a bit different to actually mooring on a lock mooring/water point etc.

On visitor moorings, we always do as others have said: budge up so there's room for all. But when we tie up in the middle of nowhere, it is a bit odd to say the least when another boat arrives and ties up right next to us despite there being 300 yards of free armco in either direction.  Maybe they're just being over-considerate. Or maybe they're nervous of being on their own. We sometimes reckon they're swingers, seeing if we're interested. Not put that to the test though, for obvious reasons.

• Haha 2

A long time ago we moored little 34ft WotEver by squeezing into a gap between two 60ft-ish boats that were already on the mooring. We then went for a walk and returned a couple of hours later. Both the other boats were gone and a 70ft was moored stern on a ring and bows breasted up to us. There was also a snotty note taped to our slide pointing out that ‘not all boats are 30ft’ and that ‘if we showed some consideration’ we wouldn’t moor in the centre of a 140ft space. We were moving on, so untied and moved off. I resisted both temptations to A) write a snotty response and B ) leave his bows untied.  

14 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

but one has to moor on the section of grass between the end of the service point and the bridge, where there is no mooring rings. 

Yes there is. I had my stern tied to it so a Hudson could get in coming from the other direction and waited until I had finished filling.

Last time I was in Fradley I went out and moved our boat when the one behind left to close up a gap but then the next one left so at that point I gave up moving our boat but if another boat had arrived and needed the extra space I would have happily moved.  It can be a pain on a busy VM though when people often come and go at different times so it is easy for odd sized gaps to be left between boats.

4 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

If people want to not share moorings, they can always use pins just past the end of the VM.

Yes, that does happen occasionally, but it is far more common to see a boat turn up and moor 30 feet along from a boat already there.

Those are the gaps that we moor in.