Idiot of the week

Johny London

Featured Posts

Goes to this little plastic boat and its owner. (Not me, I'm the blue one just stopped to go close the lock gate!). Not content with being moored/camped on the landing stage, generator running - there was a perfectly sized space right behind him but obviously he either couldn't be bothered or hadn't got any mooring pins. I did question the chap as to whether he knew the rules about landing stages, but got some waffle about waiting for the lock keeper to bring him a key, or something, his paint roller in hand as he worked on the boat.

DSC_0006.JPG

Edited by Johny London

PRICK:

Word forms: plural3rd person singular present tensepricks  present participle pricking  past tensepast participle pricked 

Verb
If you prick something or prick holes in it, you make small holes in it with a sharp object such as a pin.
Prick the potatoes and rub the skins with salt. [VERB noun]
He pricks holes in the foil with a pin. [VERB noun preposition]

I did a very good manuever getting in there actually (if I do say so myself ho ho) - only had two feet left in front and nothing behind. Not sure how the hire boaters I met further along got on that were headed that way. TBH it irks me when people have to tie up right at the very first inch of bank after the landing stage, or even put a cheeky rope on the last bollard, some places mooring is very limited, but this was really unnecessary - there were lots of spaces a few yards down if the one immediately behind him wasn't to his liking.

• Greenie 1

Not one but three boats moored on the lock landings between locks 1 and 2 on the Ashton just now - one of them just barely leaving space to get by into the lock. Prize this week, though, still goes to the boat on the lock landing at Shepley Bridge which had actually breasted up with one of the two boats already on it, leaving at least six boats' lengths free on the visitor moorings a little way back. Well played that man!

Being in charge of a 70 footer,  I do try my best to avoid idiots like that, unfortunately, it's not always possible. ?

I've had it 3 times this year already on the Buckby or Braunston flights and the "cruising season" hasn't even started yet.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Being in charge of a 70 footer,  I do try my best to avoid idiots like that, unfortunately, it's not always possible. ?

I've had it 3 times this year already on the Buckby or Braunston flights and the "cruising season" hasn't even started yet.

That was what I liked about my seventy foot Udson. 15 mil baseplate, keelson, solid stem post etc etc, built like a tank and when some prick had moored on a waterpoint I somehow on occasion used to become a very poor boat handler when I clanged alongside them. Its not so much fun in this  tiny 68 foot colecraft,  its heavy but nowt like the Udson.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Yep, that's the ticket. Breast up (badly),  slip on your hobnail boots, clamber over their boat (noisily), stand in some dog s#it (shouldn't be a problem), kick the rest into the canal but hitting the moored boat first, clamber back over their boat for your windlass leaving a trail, go back ashore (by a different route to leave a second trail), work the lock, clamber back over to your own boat and sail into the lock - casually forgetting to let go and so dragging them with you (your mooring beats theirs, right?), and finally cast them off with a cheery wave.

It worked for me anyway - after the first ten times someone did that to me I stopped mooring on lock landings! ;)

So much for not being able to teach an old dog new tricks! :P

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Yep, that's the ticket. Breast up (badly),  slip on your hobnail boots, clamber over their boat (noisily), stand in some dog s#it (shouldn't be a problem), kick the rest into the canal but hitting the moored boat first, clamber back over their boat for your windlass leaving a trail, go back ashore (by a different route to leave a second trail), work the lock, clamber back over to your own boat and sail into the lock - casually forgetting to let go and so dragging them with you (your mooring beats theirs, right?), and finally cast them off with a cheery wave.

It worked for me anyway - after the first ten times someone did that to me I stopped mooring on lock landings! ;)

Have you been on the Grog again ?

Then there are the jokers who tie up in the middle of a water point.   The one at Nantwich services is ample for two 60ft-plus boats.  It’s quite a busy location, so what makes these tw*ts think it’s ok to tie up in the middle? One of these cerebrally challenged even once said he had to stop there as his hose wouldn’t reach otherwise. I did point out that his filler would actually be nearer the tap if he moved to the end, but he went and hid in his boat.

3 hours ago, dor said:

The one at Nantwich services is ample for two 60ft-plus boats.  It’s quite a busy location, so what makes these tw*ts think it’s ok to tie up in the middle?

For some months recently it has been hogged by C&RT work boats.

Serious contradiction there, work and CRT, never seen together.

Besides I thought they had sold all the boats and gear so that they couldn't be asked to do any canal work?

Reported the leak on the aqueduct in Middlewich again this week, they don't even bother to acknowledge me any more, sad reflection on their efforts to save water and get leaks reported.

Lip service only these days.

Edited by Boater Sam
added more

37 minutes ago, jam said:

For some months recently it has been hogged by C&RT work boats.

That was while they were working on the towpath and clearing vegetation down by Marsh Lane.  Wasn't there last week.

I should have said while volunteers were working, albeit with CRT support.

6 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Serious contradiction there, work and CRT, never seen together.

Besides I thought they had sold all the boats and gear so that they couldn't be asked to do any canal work?

Reported the leak on the aqueduct in Middlewich again this week, they don't even bother to acknowledge me any more, sad reflection on their efforts to save water and get leaks reported.

Lip service only these days.

Perhaps they know you are 8000 miles away so unlikely to be witnessing a leak first hand and therefore ignoring what could be hearsay.