Keeping chickens on a narrow boat

hilary morton

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Tumshie said:

Do many canal users tow a butty?

Not many in terms of overall boat numbers.  I towed a new motor boat without an engine - was that a butty?

Plenty of river cruisers tow a dinghy, I guess some get onto the wider canals.

33 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

The chicken made it past Easter Island without any drama,except a few broken eggs, but after 40 days of sailing, she began to get worried as they approached Shagnasty island.

By the time they reached Christmas island the  temptation was just too much for the captain,and the chicken was lunch.

sn.jpg

Edited by rusty69
This is a joke.Monique is alive and well and living in Sandwich.

12 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The chicken made it past Easter Island without any drama,except a few broken eggs, but after 40 days of sailing, she began to get worried as they approached Shagnasty island.

By the time they reached Christmas island the  temptation was just too much for the captain,and the chicken was lunch.

Let's hope he had some Paxo on board.

couple of years ago  there was a boat on the shroppie  ccrs who had chickens ,just like mrsmelly said ,in a nice coop half the lenth of the boat .this was not in any way causing the walkers on the towpath or bike riders any problems .they said the only problem they had was with the dog walkers mainly those with jack russells and terriers .i got to say they where very much cared for .and laid eggs often 

I kept chickens, first of all in the house, bad move they smell soo bad.

we took them with us camping , used to do a festival circuit, they managed fine, my son used to take them for walks on a lead or just balanced on his shoulders and head. dont try this at home, they shit shit shit and shit

I'd reckon it's impossible to keep chickens on a boat. My dad kept them in his back garden and even with a sizable area to themselves (with a coop area for laying eggs and sleeping) they easily get bored. He ended up letting them roam around the rest of the garden. They basically annihilated his grassy lawn by digging and pecking at it. As others have said: they poop everywhere. They have no control over their bowel movements and just do it. You need to keep them in good condition and feed them well to get eggs from them. They have a pecking order where one of them assumes top bod and the rest of them fall in line below. They need perches to sleep on (no, they don't sleep in nests). Top bod gets the best perch.

There's more to it than people think.

10 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

I think you will find that seagoing ships used to.  Nothing is 'impossible'.

And they were probably kept in little wicker baskets up to their oxters in their own filth.

Edited by Tumshie

14 hours ago, ronnietucker said:

I'd reckon it's impossible to keep chickens on a boat. My dad kept them in his back garden and even with a sizable area to themselves (with a coop area for laying eggs and sleeping) they easily get bored. He ended up letting them roam around the rest of the garden. They basically annihilated his grassy lawn by digging and pecking at it. As others have said: they poop everywhere. They have no control over their bowel movements and just do it. You need to keep them in good condition and feed them well to get eggs from them. They have a pecking order where one of them assumes top bod and the rest of them fall in line below. They need perches to sleep on (no, they don't sleep in nests). Top bod gets the best perch.

There's more to it than people think.

Yes, I've always kept them & have them free-ranging  - have to fence off veggies & flowers - but lots of people keep them in little arks in their gardens which get moved around.  I wonder if one just had a couple of bantams in an ark type thing & gave them fresh stuff to scratch about in, they might be happy?  I guess it would have to be quite low tho or you wouldn't see over it.  If it was on the roof, rather than a butty.

7 minutes ago, Dearhound said:

If it was on the roof, rather than a butty.

Chicken is always better in a butty.

Why do people call hens 'chickens'.

They are only chickenS when they are small & fluffy, when the have grown feathers but before they start laying eggs they are Pullets, then they become 'hens'

Chicken is the meat from hens. (You don't call your Sunday roast 'Cow' do you ?)

• Greenie 1