Sutton weaver wharf

sparrowcycles

Featured Posts

Hi folks, I was just down on the weaver the other day (unfortunately on the motorbike and not on the boat) and I noticed the remains of a wooden structure beside the swing Bridge on the off side near Frodsham. 

Was this site used as a wharf? 

If there are old maps that anyone could recommend finding I'd love to have a look. 

All the best, s

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

Nothing obvious on the 1888 - 1913 six-inch OS map.

The National Library of Scotland site is a good source of old maps https://maps.nls.uk/index.html

Frodsham.png

Thanks, that's a little further into town than the Sutton Bridge but I'll definitely go and have a look! 

I'm so sorry. I don't know the area and misidentified the bridge. I can now see which bridge you mean and have searched the available historic maps but no wharf or any structure whatsoever seems to be present there. I hope you have been able to access the maps yourself now,

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

I'm so sorry. I don't know the area and misidentified the bridge. I can now see which bridge you mean and have searched the available historic maps but no wharf or any structure whatsoever seems to be present there. I hope you have been able to access the maps yourself now,

No problem at all, I will check out the maps when I get in but thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction! 

53 minutes ago, sparrowcycles said:

No problem at all, I will check out the maps when I get in but thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction! 

Again if you do Facebook there is a river weaver group with lots of local knowledge 

On 27/03/2019 at 16:22, ditchcrawler said:

Again if you do Facebook there is a river weaver group with lots of local knowledge 

Thanks I'm not on Facebook anymore but might consider reawakening it to chat to some knowledgeable people. 

18 hours ago, mykaskin said:

Are you talking about these layby piles?

image.png.fc9f99f7d8d5680eaf6f397749808632.png

Yes that is what I was talking about. So they are for boats to lay up while waiting for the bridge.. Makes sense! 

Somehow, those piling and the fact the River is quite wide there made me think it could have been a wharf in the past.