Hi fi equipment

umpire111

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Amusing those £32k Nautilus speakers were traded in by someone upgrading!!

Yeah, I thought that too. B&W are fantastic speakers but I’ve never heard the Nautilus. I wonder what he ‘upgraded’ to?

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Amusing those £32k Nautilus speakers were traded in by someone upgrading!!

Far canal, they're 10 year old too and new ones are 55 grand!  Stick with the fish stands Mike - your ears won't tell the difference anyway. Those Nautilus must surely be for rich dogs who like opera.

35 minutes ago, WotEver said:

There’s a pair of aptly named Nautilus speakers on eBay, 40% off list price...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263804927283

12996EC5-ED9D-4D43-A0F7-82017C732F1E.jpeg.a1ba0bc43e2e45fdd3622edcc0159c38.jpeg

Looks to me that its not just good looks, there's some clever acoustics going on here. Sadly the wrong colour scheme for my boat, never mind.

...............Dave

1 minute ago, dmr said:

Looks to me that its not just good looks, there's some clever acoustics going on here. Sadly the wrong colour scheme for my boat, never mind.

...............Dave

They can be resprayed in the colour of your choice sir. The ones on offer are in an Audi colour but if you wanted a bright green to match your Lamborghini then I’m sure that could be arranged...

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

STEAMPUNK SPEAKERS!!!!

s-l1600.jpg

Actually these Westminsters are my FAVOURITEST Tannoy speakers.... can't squeeze a pair into the bote though, sadly.

0418f531b595dfc92656e8673b5a5930.jpg&f=1

Was that photo taken on Mr Smelly's boat? (I think the brass cruising plaques mounted on the wall give it away) ?

13 hours ago, dmr said:

Are you thinking of speakers set into and flush with the roof, or hanging down in "pods" ?  Ceiling speakers are maybe ok for quiet background music in shops but are not even close to HiFi. If you could cope with speakers on a shelf then there are some pretty good very small speakers available. The Ruark MR1 mk2 appears to be the Dogs Bo***cks at the moment but the price might make your eyes water a little bit. 

...............Dave

If the speakers are high up in the ceiling, then surely that is the "hi" part of hi-fi, or hi-if sorted.

Whatever you fit will be sneered at by hi-fi buffs, so don't let them on your boat.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

4 hours ago, cuthound said:

Was that photo taken on Mr Smelly's boat? (I think the brass cruising plaques mounted on the wall give it away) ?

@mrsmelly doesn't do brass and any he did inadvertently end up with would be so dull and tarnished as to go unrecognised. I think the Navy put him off brightwork - he was probably a naughty sailor and hence over exposed to Brasso at a young age!

• Happy 1

Had various systems on the boats the best being quad 33 bd2a turntable with  sme arm and rogers bbc monitor speakers but...they never sound good.

most recent was a denon cd system but again cant breath. Now given up and use several bose rechargable bluetooth systems.

the seven feet seperation coupled by furnishings sticky out bits and the rest mean true hifi just dont work

6 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Had various systems on the boats the best being quad 33 bd2a turntable with  sme arm and rogers bbc monitor speakers but...they never sound good.

most recent was a denon cd system but again cant breath. Now given up and use several bose rechargable bluetooth systems.

the seven feet seperation coupled by furnishings sticky out bits and the rest mean true hifi just dont work

I agree. I find that the only way to get anything approaching HiFi on the boat is to use headphones.

The shape (long and thin - encourages and standing waves of excessive bass) plus hard reflective walls, floor and ceiling (emphasis splashy treble) rules out anything sounding remotely like HiFi on a boat  if speakers are used.

Edited by cuthound
Clarification

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I agree. I find that the only way to get anything approaching HiFi on the boat is to use headphones.

The shape (long and thin - encourages and standing waves of excessive bass) plus hard reflective walls, floor and ceiling (emphasis splashy treble) rules out anything sounding remotely like HiFi on a boat  if speakers are used.

Try some near-field active monitors with controlled directionality -- JBL, Genelec etc.

• Greenie 1