Hi fi equipment

umpire111

Featured Posts

Do I need to use the trad car radio? Plan to have speakers in the roof and I need something which accepts Bluetooth, has a dab radio and also takes a card or usb. Cd not required. Anything on the market which can be built in and looks smarter than a car radio?

7 minutes ago, NB Lola said:

We just use Bluetooth speakers and Spotify, using the download ability to store why we like.  We use tunein for radio access.

Where’s the amplifier, are the speakers built in. Need data coverage of course and that’s not always possible on the cut. Tx

Are you thinking of speakers set into and flush with the roof, or hanging down in "pods" ?  Ceiling speakers are maybe ok for quiet background music in shops but are not even close to HiFi. If you could cope with speakers on a shelf then there are some pretty good very small speakers available. The Ruark MR1 mk2 appears to be the Dogs Bo***cks at the moment but the price might make your eyes water a little bit. 

...............Dave

MacBook / iPhone.

Other than the radio which I listen to online, everything I listen to or watch is on my iPhone and/or my MacBook or I can stream through them. You then pair with the speakers of your choice. 

I'm sure someone will come along to tell me why this isn't the best of set ups. ?

Edited by Tumshie

9 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

MacBook / iPhone.

Other than the radio which I listen to online, everything I listen to or watch is on my iPhone and/or my MacBook or I can stream through them. You then pair with the speakers of your choice. 

I'm sure someone will come along to tell me why this isn't the best of set ups. ?

Often no data reception on the cut.

33 minutes ago, dmr said:

Are you thinking of speakers set into and flush with the roof, or hanging down in "pods" ?  Ceiling speakers are maybe ok for quiet background music in shops but are not even close to HiFi.

Point of Order M'Lud...

The OP isn't asking for HiFi, he is wanting "Hi if" according to the thread title. 

Bet you haven't even heard of that, have you!!

16 minutes ago, umpire111 said:

Often no data reception on the cut.

Three do a pretty good job of providing internet almost everywhere on the cut.  There's a black hole at Consall Forge and a very dodgy spot at Lower Heyford.

Some people claim to hear the inadequacies of MP3/bluetooth, and I am one of those, even though my hearing is going downhill these days. You can get a higher bit rate on Spotify and some of the newer Bluetooth protocols claim to be pretty good. Like it or not this appears to be the way music is going.

..............Dave

I use a bluetooth speaker to stream stuff from the interweb thing and from files stored on my phone. It is ok.

I believe some bluetooth speakers can be paired for a stereo effect (affect?), which sounds good on paper. Dunno if they are any good in reality.

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Point of Order M'Lud...

The OP isn't asking for HiFi, he is wanting "Hi if" according to the thread title. 

Bet you haven't even heard of that, have you!!

He means HiFi but has poor intelligability due to mounting his speakers in the ceiling ?.

Actually I think he is using "HiFi" in its new generic sense to mean any sound producing electronic device, so maybe Hiif is a good term, "would be HiFi IF only it sounded better".

...............Dave

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, dmr said:

He means HiFi but has poor intelligability due to mounting his speakers in the ceiling ?.

Actually I think he is using "HiFi" in its new generic sense to mean any sound producing electronic device, so maybe Hiif is a good term, "would be HiFi IF only it sounded better".

...............Dave

I think you're right.

I've never found the stereo sound stage very convincing with my own hifi (Garrard 401/SME arm, Quad valve amps, Tannoy Lancaster speakers) if I mount the speakers in the ceiling..... 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think you're right.

I've never found the stereo sound stage very convincing with my own hifi (Garrard 401/SME arm, Quad valve amps, Tannoy Lancaster speakers) if I mount the speakers in the ceiling..... 

And a quick copy and past of your speakers into duckduckgo images suggest you've got a sound system the size of a small pony. 

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think you're right.

Much of the perceived directional information comes from the higher frequencies so you only need to mount the tweeters in the ceiling, I reckon a pair of these hanging down from the ceiling would help:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tannoy-Prestige-Super-Tweeter-Gold-Reference-Speakers-Single-Loudspeaker/233003988658?hash=item36401eb6b2:g:dqwAAOSwFXRbqO-2

..................Dave

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

Much of the perceived directional information comes from the higher frequencies so you only need to mount the tweeters in the ceiling, I reckon a pair of these hanging down from the ceiling would help:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tannoy-Prestige-Super-Tweeter-Gold-Reference-Speakers-Single-Loudspeaker/233003988658?hash=item36401eb6b2:g:dqwAAOSwFXRbqO-2

..................Dave

STEAMPUNK SPEAKERS!!!!

s-l1600.jpg

Actually these Westminsters are my FAVOURITEST Tannoy speakers.... can't squeeze a pair into the bote though, sadly.

0418f531b595dfc92656e8673b5a5930.jpg&f=1

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Actually these Westminsters are my FAVOURITEST Tannoy speakers.... 

There’s a pair of aptly named Nautilus speakers on eBay, 40% off list price...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263804927283

12996EC5-ED9D-4D43-A0F7-82017C732F1E.jpeg.a1ba0bc43e2e45fdd3622edcc0159c38.jpeg